Apple Battery Charge Kit - No Surge Protection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tucom, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Would it be potentially dangerous to have the Apple Battery Charge kit plugged directly into a wall socket instead of being plugged into a power strip/surge protector?

If there is a thunderstorm or power surge, could the batteries explode?

If the charger itself will just get damaged with no danger posed to anything due to exploding batteries then I'm fine with that.

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Your fine leaving it plugged directly into the wall. The batteries are not going to explode from a lightning strike. The worst case would be the charger is ruined and would need to be replaced.

Now if your worried about sensitive electronics you can add a whole home surge protector that is installed at the main power panel to the house (SPD Type 2), apartment, etc... Tis will help for devices not plugged into a surge protector and also helps with in home transients (i.e. central HVAC kicking on). Then you can have wall outlet surge protectors (SPD Type 3) where you have high end electronic devices to protect their circuitry even more.

Less common, there is also a SPD Type 1 that is installed at the service meter. But if you want one of those you'll need to contact your power company (some allow you to purchase one and others make you rent from them monthly).
    Surge Protective Devices
    Whole House Surge Protection from Leviton
    **There are other manufactures and configurations, just used Leviton as an example.

Then there are other ways for surges to enter. Any telephone and COAX can be an entry point. There are protective device for these also. For COAX I use a standard ground block but then also added this to the incoming line.
    F-Female to F-Female 0-3 GHz 90V Lightning Protector

3. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Epic info, thanks! Unfortunately I don't think the landlord would be too keen on rewiring everything, so that's a no go. But good to know the battery charger is danger free.