Apple Battery Charger is SCORCHING!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hamoodi, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hamoodi macrumors member

Hey whats up!? I had the Apple Battery Charger for about a month or a little more than a month. It recently stormed outside and my power surged twice in a row then went out for an hour. But my Magic Mouse was at 10% battery so I went to change it with my apple rechargeable batteries and they were really hot! I didn't even want to put them in my mouse...is that normal? Or is it because of the storm. Because I always have a pair of batteries charging. Maybe the surge in power caused it to overcharge...if that's possible? ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All Rechargeable

Batteries get very hot as the reach full capacity, and you are wise not to install them until they cool.

The charger also gets hot, but given the storm I'd be inclined to get the charger checked out.

I have High Capacity batteries in all kinds of variety's AA AAA Lithium etc. all for camera and other devices.

They all get hot when charging.

3. Bandit27 macrumors newbie

Normal

It is normal for the system to get hot. Voltage changes are generally ok, because the voltage goes though a transformer and gets converted to DC before reaching the batteries. If nothing else in the house got affected by the voltage changes/dropout, then your charger should be fine.

Now if it is so hot you can't even touch them, then I would check it out further.

Tyler