iPhone 6(+) Apple battery replacement question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appurushido, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Appurushido macrumors regular

Still have my iPhone 6+ I use exclusively for movies and games, pretty much an iPad mini mini. It's still on iOS 10.3.3. Will Apply force me to upgrade to latest iOS (11 or so?) before they allow me to replace the battery? Or do you think they will do so without my knowledge when then find out during battery replacement?

My battery wear level on this is 41.7%, so battery lifespan level is at 59.3%. Has anyone encountered this problem? I don't want to upgrade it to iOS 11 or greater as it is not needed for watching movies or playing games. I'm sure it may put a strain, regardless of what naysayers say. It runs smooth as butter except for some games, perhaps due to the battery life.

Thanks in advance!!

2. MephistoZap macrumors newbie

MephistoZap

Apple can't force you to upgrade your software. You can say if they try and get you too is you have a 32 bit app you use and need to stay on the lower iOS.

3. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

You could buy an OEM battery and fit it yourself. It's pretty easy to do and will save you money.

4. newellj macrumors 603

"OEM" women Apple factory service parts. Do you have a source for that? I don't believe they're available to consumers in the US.

5. iKevinT macrumors newbie

Apple might require you to have latest iOS before they will work on it.

I copied this from my recent appointment confirmation email (appointment to have battery replaced).

“Before You Come In
    Back up your data
    Please make sure you back up the data on your iPhone — either on your computer or using iCloud.*

To service your iOS device, Find My iPhone will need to be temporarily turned off. In order to turn off Find My iPhone, you must know your Apple ID and Password.

Update your software
    Many issues can be resolved by updating the software on your iPhone. If you’re using iOS 5 or later, you can update over Wi-Fi or by connecting to iTunes on your Mac or PC.”

My specific situation is described in another post:
    So much emotion
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...threads/So-much-emotion.2096935/&share_type=t

6. Samuel79 macrumors member

There is no such thing as apple OEM there is only apple via the genuine bar at apple

The rest you see on ebay are all fake re manufactured to a good quality and that is a minefield in its self as there is good and bad Sellers out there but in the post part sellers that sell say 300+ batteries with little neg feedback are the ones you should seek out if you choose to go down the non oem route

7. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

I got my OEM battery from Replace Base here in the UK. The batteries are sourced from the manufacturer who also supply batteries to Apple.

8. newellj macrumors 603

That was my point, at least here in the US. Even iFixit batteries have not been up to spec in my experience.

--- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    How sure are you? Even identically spec'd batteries from the same factory could be different and perform differently.

9. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Those are by no means a "requirement", they are suggestions, primarily related to not losing data.

10. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

The only ones that can provide Apple parts are Apple and Apple service providers that are authorized to do warranty repairs for Apple.. Saying it came from the same factory is easy to claim, proving it is another story..

11. Appurushido thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone encountered this when you got your/ or in the process of getting your battery replaced?

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Not this exactly, but when I took my iPhone 5 in for the sleep button recall, I had to update to the latest iOS because their diagnostic tool required it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if whatever tool they’re using to diagnose batteries required 11.2.1

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unfortunately there's no such thing as oem Apple parts.
    They are not sold directly to the public.
    You can find similar and good quality aftermarket parts but they not the same.
    They can all claim whatever but when Apple sees those in your device they will deny you service.

14. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

They aren't Apple parts. They're made by the same manufacturer.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Right but one can never be sure its of the same quality as what is inside your device originally.
    And what sucks about that is that Apple would consider it unauthorized and would never service your device in the future.
    Not a good option imo.

16. iKevinT macrumors newbie

As I went through the battery replacement / iPhone replacement process they asked 3 or 4 times at least before working on it if the iPhone ever had any 3rd party parts or water damage, it’s high on their radar.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No, no you can’t. Apple does not sell parts.

18. cappo3 macrumors member

If you want to try and replace the battery by yourself, you can definitely do it. I would just recommend to keep the original battery intact. If, because of further problems, you ever have to go to Apple (be it for a new battery or whatever else), just pop the original battery in there!

19. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Yep, I'm keeping my Apple battery sitting in my office desk drawer just in case.

And I'm so happy I replaced my battery. Battery life is back to awesome and the speeds are so wonderful. In fact, I remembered that I went back to the stock keyboard because of the throttling, so last night, I activated Gboard again because the delay is tolerable now.

If Apple should copy anything from Google, it should be using the features of Gboard on the stock keyboard. Using the space bar to insert the cursor is brilliant. And swipe is great too.

20. newellj macrumors 603

I can't say for sure that this is the case in this case, but AJ is right in many, possibly most, cases. Parts can come from the same factory and have different specs; even parts with the same specs can be of significantly different quality. And parts that worked great one time can turn out to be substandard when you reorder them a few months later. Too often it's a crapshoot with the odds against us.

21. Detroitable macrumors newbie

Detroitable

I made a video of my battery replacement experience.