Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davtomcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Hi Everyone-

Here's the deal. I have a 15gb 3G iPod with less than desirable battery life.

I know that with the $60 Apple battery replacement, they send you a refurb unit, rather than your original.

Because my iPod is so old, do you think that they still have 15gb 3G refurbs in stock that they would send me? Or do you think that I'd get a newer iPod refurb...maybe a 4G?

I figure if I can drop $60, and get upgraded a generation, that's not a bad deal...

.adam

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
I have a 5G 60GB iPod and started to experience problems with it only three days before the warranty ran-out. I returned it to the Apple store who said they would replace my iPod free of charge (with a refurb). I was hoping to get a 5.5G in return (60% brighter screen, extra 20GB HDD etc.) but was given the exact same model in return.

It's a bit disappointing but I suppose but I guess if they handed out next gen replacements people wouldn't bother buying to upgrade, they'd simply encounter a 'problem' at the end of their warranty and ask for a replacement!

davtomcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
But they have had 5Gs more recently. I am wondering if they keep stock of refurb units going back to the 3G...

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Well, I've heard that some people a while back got minis when their 5GB 1Gs died out. But I doubt you'll get a newer model since there really isn't anything similar in storage that Apple could give you as a replacement without getting people clamoring at them for replacements.

Chmeeee

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Boston, MA
I brought my 15 GB iPod 3g in for battery issues under the $59 program. Its been a week, they finally called back saying that they were having trouble finding another 3g replacement. Therefore, they asked permission to replace it with an 80GB model. Permission granted! :cool: Not sure if its the 5g or the Classic, but I'll see soon enough when I pick it up.

davtomcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I brought my 15 GB iPod 3g in for battery issues under the $59 program. Its been a week, they finally called back saying that they were having trouble finding another 3g replacement. Therefore, they asked permission to replace it with an 80GB model. Permission granted! :cool: Not sure if its the 5g or the Classic, but I'll see soon enough when I pick it up.

Woohoo! Did you send it in, or did you bring it in to an Apple retail store?

iApplemasteru

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
my solution

Hi Everyone-

Here's the deal. I have a 15gb 3G iPod with less than desirable battery life.

I know that with the $60 Apple battery replacement, they send you a refurb unit, rather than your original.

Because my iPod is so old, do you think that they still have 15gb 3G refurbs in stock that they would send me? Or do you think that I'd get a newer iPod refurb...maybe a 4G?

I figure if I can drop $60, and get upgraded a generation, that's not a bad deal...

yo dude i think u should get i new ipod!!!!! way better and more fun! im waiting for my old pc computer to give out on me so my parents get me a macbook since ur battery is out go 4 the new ipod:eek:

davtomcol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Can I go into an Apple store to do this, or do I have to send it in, does anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.