Apple battles Woolworths over new logo

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by SICKPEGASUS, Oct 5, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's wrong with apple trying to protect it's logo and brand - nothing. Any other company would and have done the same. McDonald for years sued other restaurants for meals that were called Mcxxxxx or if another company used/referenced the golden arches. Xerox steadfastly protected its trademark.

Clearly the logo is much to close to apple's and they have every right to protect their trademark.[/fanboy] :D

2. charliehustle macrumors 6502

IMO why should Apple get to patent the shape of a fruit?
    the logo doesn't look identical to it either..

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They didn't patent it, they trademarked it. ;)

But this is ridiculous. Trademark and trade dress cover the industry for which you filed the trademark. I haven't looked, but I highly doubt Apple's trademark covers the use of ANY Apple shape in another companies logo... especially one that is not even in the same industry.

I doubt a grocery store chain would be confused with a consumer electronics company.

Clearly an Apple lawyer with too much time on his hands.

4. beg_ne macrumors 6502

FTA:

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are always at it, how could you confuse New York City with a consumer electronics company? :rolleyes:

6. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    agreed they look nothing like each other, unless apple has an "updated" logo in there pocket for the next Gen "something".... there design team probably trademarks multiple logos for generations to come.... car companies do the same thing..... (that said, all companies are smart to do that for this reason)

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You reminded me of this story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8243270.stm

Apparently, sometimes you can beat the big players (even if you are clearly in the wrong).

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

From TUAW:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/05/apple-versus-woolworths-logo-smackdown/

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If they are going to put the logo on electronics or computers, then Apple has an obligation to protect their brand name.