Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
Apple and MS haven't competed against each other since 1993. And back then it was still just on the OS.

Apple has always competed against the entire Wintel PC market...not just Microsoft's Windows OS.

It's all about 2 different business models, essentially centering at the OS:

1)Apple makes, sells, supports the Mac OS and Mac hardware

2)Microsoft, on the other hand, simply creates the OS and licenses it to hardware vendors.

Of course Microsoft is unhappy with this breaking news but they, again, are 2 completely different business models. One could write a small book on the topic.
Why is it all the intelligent posts come from people without solely Apple products littering their signature?

MrWinters

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Yes it's all willy-waving, which was in fact my point.

and to Mr Winters - you haven't met me before, that comment you refer to isn't one of mine. Also it's wise to be careful who you try to belittle with 'boy' references, you have no idea who I am or how experienced or qualified I am compared to you.

I don't know you. I do know that you have no idea what the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineers and the Project Management Institute is. I do know that you have no idea what Certified Cost Engineer, Certified Forensic Claims Consultant, and Project Management Professional certifications are.

As ever, if you're new here, don't try to impress (or troll) by waving experience or qualification around to justify your opinion.

As I mentioned, Experience or Education isn't necessary to refute the post "Microsoft is DEAD". A 3rd grade education and a tad of common sense would tell you that..

We all know MS isn't dead when making 5.23 BILLION profits,

Obviously, WE all don't. My original post was not addressed to you but to Mr. BR Lawyer whose exact post was "Microsoft is DEAD"... Please go on though and tell me about how "WE ALL KNOW"....

hell, we all know that businesses do not ever need to make a profit. To stay in business, all one has to do is make "black zero"; as after all, pay all your costs, offset against depreciation and secure investment and then what do you need profit for? to pay the taxman? no fun there - usually it's to keep shareholders happy, end of.

Again, it's nonsense like this that indicates to me that you have no idea what you are talking about. I need not know about your qualifications or experience. You continue to show me how truly knowledgeable you are..

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
So is that extra $.77 billion Apple made going to make a whit of difference in the end? Both companies have more cash then they know what to do with. Frankly MSFT should be less university research and more single-minded focus on products like Apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So is that extra $.77 billion Apple made going to make a whit of difference in the end? Both companies have more cash then they know what to do with. Frankly MSFT should be less university research and more single-minded focus on products like Apple.

But Microsoft has done more for the world than Apple by taking that approach.

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
Well thank you Steve Balmer. Why in the hell did Gates left him in charge I never will understand.

While Steve Jobs is great.

See you have two kinds of Steves, one is an idiot and other one is highly intelligent. :D

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
I don't know you. I do know that you have no idea what the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineers and the Project Management Institute is. I do know that you have no idea what Certified Cost Engineer, Certified Forensic Claims Consultant, and Project Management Professional certifications are.

As I mentioned, Experience or Education isn't necessary to refute the post "Microsoft is DEAD". A 3rd grade education and a tad of common sense would tell you that..

Obviously, WE all don't. My original post was not addressed to you but to Mr. BR Lawyer whose exact post was "Microsoft is DEAD"... Please go on though and tell me about how "WE ALL KNOW"....

Again, it's nonsense like this that indicates to me that you have no idea what you are talking about. I need not know about your qualifications or experience. You continue to show me how truly knowledgeable you are..

So you're saying the only reason anyone goes into business is to make profit?
It's not possible to see the breakeven point as the fundamental target?
Staying in business is not important then?

The associations that you belong to are not going to be recognised so quickly this side of the pond, but I wasn't suggesting you didn't have qualifications, I suggested waving them around was not necessary or well received in a forum where a general chat about giants of industry will not affect their business models or practices one iota.

Welcome to Macrumors by the way!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Well thank you Steve Balmer. Why in the hell did Gates left him in charge I never will understand.

While Steve Jobs is great.

See you have two kinds of Steves, one is an idiot and other one is highly intelligent. :D

And from this post one can venture a guess as to which kind you are.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
That's actually pretty sad

can't stand balmer, and I love my Apple stuff, but we need a strong Microsoft, and they've just been soooooo lame the last (what?) 5 years? maybe 8 years?

It would be a darn shame if they dwindled away to nothing. They need new leadership.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Didn't the folks in Redmond hold a mock funeral for an iPhone a year or so ago?

Renverse

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
This thread is so full of uneducated posts, it's really disgusting. You should've known this would happen, MacRumors. These kind of articles really bring out the worst kind of people. All you fanboys should be ashamed of yourselves, really.

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Sad day for dem boys in Redmond

I think dem boys in Redmond are pretty happy with their salaries, statuses, and results considering how much creativity and effort they put in it. Not much. The one who's sad is probably Bill Gates seeing how others are running the company now.

iLLucionist

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Seriously?

Microsoft is still doing very well. They're making the best products they ever have done and as a customer I am very pleased with all of my Microsoft purchases.

- Zune desktop software
- Zune hardware and mobile software
- Windows Phone 7
- Windows 7
- Office 2010
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Xbox 360
- Xbox Live

All great products and deserve to be class leaders if they are not already. I can't think of another company (including Apple) that has put out such a fantastic range of very good products.

Zune? Uhm...no, not really. The Zune is discontinued, at least in the long run. Current models will remain available for a while, but new ones will not come out.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
LOL @ all the people claiming Microsoft is dead. I mean, seriously? They were $76 million worse off from Apple and according to most people on this forum, Microsoft aren't pulling their socks up and trying and innovating anymore. I don't think that is at all bad at all. Lazing around and still making a profit at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, also; grats to Apple.

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
Microsoft is still doing very well. They're making the best products they ever have done and as a customer I am very pleased with all of my Microsoft purchases.

- Zune desktop software
- Zune hardware and mobile software
- Windows Phone 7
- Windows 7
- Office 2010
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Xbox 360
- Xbox Live

All great products and deserve to be class leaders if they are not already. I can't think of another company (including Apple) that has put out such a fantastic range of very good products.

Really? I mean really? Zune? You forgot to write down Vista too kid. LOL!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Microsoft is doing OK, now with Office 2007, 2010, and Windows 7. All of these are quite major successes for them. Windows Phone 7 still seems a bit shaky to me, but with the Office suite and Windows doing well now, they're OK. That they're beat by Apple is simply because Apple is doing far better than OK - not that MS is doing poorly. MS has their core products doing well -- Apple is grabbing large parts of markets, hardware (iPhone, iPad) as well as software (iOS). Both at once, when they've been big in neither before. That difference is sure to show up in the revenue. :)

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
It would be a darn shame if they dwindled away to nothing. They need new leadership.
Yes they have their issues, but they will not dwindle away. Very few large scale enterprises stay on the upside all the time. Remember when Apple nearly bit the dust? It can happen to any of them. MS will be fine.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Wow, what a fail for Micro$oft, no no I mean MicroSoft (you don't get an $ in your name anymore).

Instead of making: $5,990,000,000.00
They only made: $5,230,000,000.00

What a bunch of losers. :\

gyrogeerloose

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Home, mostly
ROFL! I totally see what you're saying. Why can't people just avoid fanboyish behavior? Both companies make some great products. Both companies make bad products too. *shrugs*

I think it's a holdover from the bad old days in the mid-nineties, when Microsoft was riding high with Windows 95. Apple was at it's nadir, the common wisdom was that it was going to go under and Michael Dell said that if it were up to him, he'd sell the company and give the money back to the shareholders. Only the die-hard fans disagreed.

Fast forward fifteen years: not only did Apple survive, it has now surpassed the behemoth Microsoft in profitability. Under those circumstances, please don't complain about us diehards gloating just a little bit...

Avalontor

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
<snip>

Also it's wise to be careful who you try to belittle with 'boy' references, you have no idea who I am or how experienced or qualified I am compared to you.

<snip>

why do you get to belittle Mr Winters?

"Oh yeah - you said it - qualified in "buisiness" [sic] but works in finance - surely that should read - holds some form of accountancy degree and is an accountant? No? under-qualified then. (or clerk)"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.