Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two years after the store was originally announced to be built, Apple has begun posting job listings for its forthcoming flagship store in Brisbane, which is the third most populous city in Australia. The store would also join Apple's other locations within the city, including its stores in Carindale and Chermside.

apple_store_sydney.jpg
Apple Retail Store in Sydney, Australia
The postings come as revised plans for the store surfaced in late August, detailing various features around and within the store itself. The arrangements for the store were thought to have been abandoned after a bankruptcy filing from a major contractor in 2012, as well as reported problems with the modification of the historic building which the store is to be built in.

The store itself will be located in the MacArthur Chambers building, a 10-story high-rise that was originally built in 1934. Apple plans to make few structural changes to the interior, with the revised plans showing minor changes to a mezzanine wall, some windows, and a stairway.

Past rumors stated that the location could have opened as early as this past October, however the recent job postings may indicate that the store's construction is nearing completion and could open fairly soon.

Article Link: Apple Begins Hiring for Flagship Retail Store in Brisbane, Australia

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Re: First standalone
Does Carindale not count because it's not an entire building?

This has been a long time coming, and definitely needed.
Carindale is usually packed, and so far out of the way.
Looking forward to it! (Though I'll be moving north come January anyways…)

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
This will be Apple's third retail store in Brisbane (but first standalone store).

You're right on that - Carindale and Chermside are in Brisbane, which would make this upcoming store a flagship, not the first. The story and title have been reflected to show this. Thanks everyone! :)

e747

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Brisbane, Oz
About time! MacArthur Chambers itself isn't a 10 storey building - it was used by General MacArthur as his Australian headquarters during the Pacific War. It's perfect for an Apple store, it'll look great.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
You're right on that - Carindale and Chermside are in Brisbane, which would make this upcoming store a flagship, not the first. The story and title have been reflected to show this. Thanks everyone! :)

I was going to say, I have been shopping at Carindale for over 12months now. But this will be Brisbane CBD's first store.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This wanting to hire people is not a new thing for the Brisbane store. I took a screen shot of the Apple.au website on september 1 this year:

Hk05NDW.jpg

So this is old news, but it's good news as the store is nearing completion.
My big question is does anyone have an exact date for it's opening? As I know quite a few people who want to be there on the day. I can't find this date anywhere.

The store would also join Apple's other locations within the city, including its stores in Carindale and Chermside.
Chermside and Carindale are not in the Brisbane CBD. Not even close, but they are in greater Brisbane. Technically they are both in Brisbane but not in the city of Brisbane (as that is the CBD). A little complicated but that's how it is here. Just explaining this so people know.

You need need to say:
"The store would also join Apple's other locations within Brisbane"
And remove the words "within the city".

Just passing on the local knowledge to everyone here.

Brisbane to Chermside -> 10.1KM
Brisbane to Carindale -> 13KM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Brisbane
The City of Brisbane is the local government area that has jurisdiction over the inner portion of the metropolitan area of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Unlike LGAs in the other mainland state capitals (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide), which are generally responsible only for the central business districts and inner neighbourhoods of those cities, the City of Brisbane administers a significant portion of the Brisbane metropolitan area. As such, it has a larger population than any other local government area in Australia.
Carindale and Chermside are in the Brisbane Metropolitan area, not Brisbane City.

Still thanks for the article. Hope we find out the opening date soon.

Last edited:

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Meanwhile, in Melbourne CBD - still no flagship store. Would be extremely popular and perfectly suited to the city. An ongoing and massive missed opportunity. Hopefully sometime before the iPhone 10 launch...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Meanwhile, in Melbourne CBD - still no flagship store. Would be extremely popular and perfectly suited to the city. An ongoing and massive missed opportunity. Hopefully sometime before the iPhone 10 launch...

I agree it would be amazing there, it'd kill all the resellers there though. But that's traditional, Apple move in and all the resellers in the area go under.

macman312

macrumors 6502

Yep agreed. I guess apple has to have the right building... I think there might be one coming to Melbourne central if you go up the escalators on Swanson st and walk straight there is a "international retailer" coming soon so it is either apple or Samsung (or both) xd. But seriously apple HURRY UP

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Yep agreed. I guess apple has to have the right building... I think there might be one coming to Melbourne central if you go up the escalators on Swanson st and walk straight there is a "international retailer" coming soon so it is either apple or Samsung (or both) xd. But seriously apple HURRY UP

The old Australia Post Office building on the corner of the Burke Street Mall and Elizabeth Street would've been perfect, I think. I've read the strict criteria Apple have for new flagship dwellings, and this site seemed to tick all and everything. Not to mention the location being pretty much in the heart of the city. But I recently found out another international fashion store is, instead, moving in. Just what the city doesn't need - another fashion store. Another missed opportunity!!

par3000

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
"...begun posting job listings for its forthcoming flagship store in Brisbane"?

My nephew has already had three interviews over the past few months.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
I'm very surprised about the lack of bricks and mortar presence across the ditch.:D
Surely their is a business case to open at least 2 stores?
I too am a little surprised that New Zealand has no Apple Stores. Apple is very strategic is choosing where to open a new store. They research the demographics, wealth and income, of the area and the mall, before open a new store. I would say that Apple is quite cautious and conservative, very few Apple Store close.

This is pure speculation but, in the case of New Zealand it could be at Apple are only prepared to set up a New Zealand operation if they think that New Zealand could sustain 5 or 6 stores, but their research indications they they could open only 2 or 3.

macman312

macrumors 6502
The old Australia Post Office building on the corner of the Burke Street Mall and Elizabeth Street would've been perfect, I think. I've read the strict criteria Apple have for new flagship dwellings, and this site seemed to tick all and everything. Not to mention the location being pretty much in the heart of the city. But I recently found out another international fashion store is, instead, moving in. Just what the city doesn't need - another fashion store. Another missed opportunity!!
I agree perfect location
They do have strict criteria and they might've tried to apply to renovate it and the city of Melbourne said no... There's also a couple of nice buildings in Chapel St(not the city but still good location) that would be good as well in fact there were rumors but I think the plans fell through.

stylusmobilus

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Since it is right at the northern end of the Queen Street Mall, Apple will churn out the sales big time here.

It is rather difficult to get to either Chermside or Carindale without a car...more to the point, time consuming, as only buses run to both shopping centres. The inner city and western suburbs residents will favour this store as it is in the city centre and two blocks away from Central Station.

It's nice to actually have something Melbourne doesn't...outside decent weather that isn't a claim Brisbane can often make:p

HeinrichGustav

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
Used to work at the Chermside store. Apparently the store isn't opening this year. It's been postponed until early 2014. I left because I had been waiting too long for the opportunity to work in this store and just ran out of patience. I would say this article is just ghost information collected from ifoapplestore.com

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
.outside decent weather that isn't a claim Brisbane can often make:p
Want to make a bet? Melbourne is either too hot or too cold or too wet or too windy. Very rarely a nice day there but in Brisbane apart from the rain, most days are very nice indeed.

It is rather difficult to get to either Chermside or Carindale without a car...more to the point, time consuming, as only buses run to both shopping centres. The inner city and western suburbs residents will favour this store as it is in the city centre and two blocks away from Central Station.
I am your exact example. A train user from the west side of Brisbane. And I'll defo be using the Central Apple Store when it's finally finished. Sure there is JB HiFi and others but my experiences at my local JB HiFi were less than satisfactory. So from 2014 I'm seriously considering moving all my Apple product purchases to the Apple Store proper.

Can't wait to get there on opening day though. Just waiting till we know what day that will be.

RichardOwens

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Job Have Been Advertised For Months AND

one staff member has been on "ice" at another store with a very long commute for over a year.

Chermside has too many staff "hiding" out back or taking breaks ...

Carindale has staff bouncing around looking for someone to "sell" to ...

This is the third thread on the store ...

Latest photos on skyscraper city

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.