Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Begins Production of iPhone 6s in India

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun commercial production on the iPhone 6s in India as of last week, according to a new report by The Economic Times, following local manufacturing for the iPhone SE that kicked off in India last year. Production on the 6s started at the Wistron facility in Bangalore, and the model was chosen due to its "sales potential," two senior industry executives reportedly said.

Due to the locally-made devices, Apple will now be able to exempt the iPhone 6s from import duties placed on imported smartphones and their components, which has been an ongoing struggle for the company. A few months ago in February, India announced the latest tax increase on imported mobile phones from 15 percent to 20 percent, and it came under two months after the previous increase.

The tax increases are related to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's "Make in India" program, which aims to promote the country's domestic manufacturing so that more companies build products there. After the iPhone SE plant was set up in early 2017, the iPhone 6s was rumored to be the next of Apple's smartphones to get an "Assembled in India" stamp on the back of each device.

Now, iPhone 6s production in Bangalore has begun and retail availability in the country is expected sometime "soon."
"The made-in-India iPhone 6s will be only sold in India like iPhone SE since it will take time to scale up capacity. In fact, Apple will continue with the import of iPhone 6s until capacity improves. Hence, there will be no price correction for the locally manufactured units. The made-in-India iPhone 6s model will hit the stores soon," an executive said. Apple India did not comment."
On the software side of things, earlier this year users in the country spoke about the poor performance of services like Apple Maps and Siri. One user in Bangalore, Mihir Sharma, told CNBC that "Apple Maps is a joke in India," and many users reported that Siri "often struggles" to make sense and correctly respond to Indian accents. Analyst Faisal Kawoosa said, "There is no denial that the Apple ecosystem isn't aligned much to the usage and value of Indian users," and until Apple can expand its hardware footprint in India most customers believe it will stay that way.

Article Link: Apple Begins Production of iPhone 6s in India

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm surprised Apple is still manufacturing the iPhone 6S as it is a >2 year old model already.

The SE I can see, as it is a very specific form factor, but wouldn't it make more sense to use the manufacturing capacity for newer equivalent models (iPhone 7 and iPhone 8)?

Comment

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I'm surprised Apple is still manufacturing the iPhone 6S as it is a >2 year old model already.

The SE I can see, as it is a very specific form factor, but wouldn't it make more sense to use the manufacturing capacity for newer equivalent models (iPhone 7 and iPhone 8)?
Could be that the 6s is cheaper to manufacture.

Comment

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
Will they use green and sustainable manufacturing methods or not having to care about that is one of the main reasons why they “assemble” their products in China and now India? The other being cheap slave labor. Green this and that; yeah right.

Comment

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
This is actually a brilliant move by Apple. It can sell cheap 6S iPhones all day and not risk under cutting the current and about to launch models.

The 6S is just powerful enough to run current software without issue, but isn't going to wow in any way: perfect for a budget iPhone.

Reactions: JKAussieSkater
Comment

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I think I'm going to regret asking, but what principles are being jettisoned here?

-making the best phone they can
-having a non fragmented feature support
-being at the leading edge
-manufacturing in a country with strict labour and environment regulations
-not cheating around tax laws
Is it enough for 2 mins of thinking?

Reactions: macfacts and ksec
Comment

everythingapplerainbow

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
most first world people here didn't know Apple still produce iPhone 4s in 2015 (I bought one), 5s in 2016, 2017 for countries that prefer low budget phones

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Consider what the mythical "Apple Ecosystem" really is:
Convenience and the App Store.

Every good app is now on Android too, so that's not a selling point.
iCloud Drive (Files App) is just an excuse for being lazy. It's certainly no wonderland.

Apple Maps and Siri? Everyone knows those apps can't be relied on even in the USA. Nobody buys an iPhone so they can have Siri or Apple maps.

But to be unhappy with an iPhone because of Apple Maps is rediculous. Google maps is a free download and most people use it.

Comment

FNH15

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
People are forgetting that even the 6S is a very expensive phone over there, relative to average income. It's the same reason why an unremarkable 316i BMW or CLA200 Mercedes-Benz is so prestigious- its the equivalent to a S600 or 760Li over in the States. The 6S should be just fine for more than a few years, and it's going to help Apple in their battle against the cheap Chinese phones which permeate the market in India.

Reactions: emmanoelle
Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017

The Indian market is price sensitive and the average consumer there cannot afford the SE. The 6s is considered a premium device.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Next they will start the production of the PowerBook in India.

Great job, Tim Cook! Keep up with the good work!

What's your issue, man? The 6S supports the latest version of iOS. It's still super fast and super powerful; its single core performance has only been beaten from Android phones this year (and still has better single-core performance than some flagships like the Pixel 2 XL).

It's a really great phone and can be picked up at a very reasonable price on the second hand market.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Honestly, you probably should have taken more than 2 minutes.
-When has every feature of one iPhone been available on the previous model? Heck feature differentiation is on every series of phones with the standard and plus sizes.

-The X is still at the leading edge of phone development. It makes no sense to make it in India though. The goal is to make a phone the Indians will buy, not to make phones for the sake of making phones.

-When has Apple manufactured in a country with strict labor and environmental regs? That being said, Apple does require their contract manufacturers to operate at a certain standard.

-This is dumb and disingenuous. There's no cheat. It's simple. Build here, pay one tax rate. Import; pay another. It's the same for everyone. A level playing field. No special allowances.

Comment

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

Not really, but then

I'm a contented SE user, which probably violates 2 of your principles.
I don't know how India compares with China in labour and environment regulations.
Avoiding import tariffs by manufacturing in the country of the target market makes sense to me, provides jobs for the local economy and saves money, win-win. That's what Harley Davison are planning to do in Europe.

I'll go before it starts getting too PRSI

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
They are still manufacturing the 6s in China, how is also assembling it in India affecting any of your points?
[doublepost=1530030609][/doublepost]
Next they will start the production of the PowerBook in India.

Great job, Tim Cook! Keep up with the good work!
If the 6s hadn't been manufactured anywhere for the last ten years, you'd have a point. But the 6s is still being manufactured in China (and sold worldwide).

Comment

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Apple builds in India because India has a brutally high tax rate on imported iPhones, making them unaffordable. I expect the 6s is in production now because it took Foxconn that long to set up the supply chain for it.

Comment

Inkling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Quote: and many users reported that Siri "often struggles" to make sense and correctly respond to Indian accents.

Don't feel bad India. Siri also struggles to make sense of my odd blend of American accents.

Comment

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I went from a 6S to the X... the X is far and away a better phone.
Call me old fashioned, but I still can't get over the lack of TouchID and a headphone jack. Those are two features that are still extremely useful for the vast majority of people. They're not antiquated features, as some might suggest. They're features that are necessary in a modern cell phone. Especially one that costs $1,000.

Comment

FNH15

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Call me old fashioned, but I still can't get over the lack of TouchID and a headphone jack. Those are two features that are still extremely useful for the vast majority of people. They're not antiquated features, as some might suggest. They're features that are necessary in a modern cell phone. Especially one that costs $1,000.

Erm, the X has FaceID, superseding TouchID, and doesn't it include a lightning -> headphone jack adapter in the box?

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The Indian market is price sensitive and the average consumer there cannot afford the SE.

Yet, The SE is intended to capture emerging markets like India and Asia. Obviously has it’s purpose for those specific sectors where its had some success as a global phone.

Comment

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The article doesn't mention this for some reason, but the iPhone 6 (32 GB model, which didn't previously exist) has been manufactured in India for a while now in order to sell it in India as well as some other countries (including Western countries) exclusively through carriers as a low cost alternative to the iPhone SE. I suspect that these assembly lines are finally being switched over from making the iPhone 6 to making the iPhone 6s.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.