Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Begins Seeding Mac OS X 10.6.1 for Testing

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Begins Seeding Mac OS X 10.6.1 for Testing

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that Apple began seeding Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first maintenance update to Snow Leopard, earlier this week to a select group of developers. MacRumors can confirm that it received similar word earlier this week that Apple had opened a discussion forum through its invitation-only AppleSeed program to allow OS X 10.6.1 testers to provide feedback to Apple engineers and that Apple had begun the seeding distribution.
Those receiving the first builds are part of smaller, more exclusive seeding programs run by the Cupertino-based company. They traditionally operate on an invitation-only basis, unlike the Apple Developer Connection open all developers willing to pay membership fees.
The report notes that builds seeded to this limited audience generally make their way to broader developer distribution through the traditional ADC channels within a week or two.

Article Link: Apple Begins Seeding Mac OS X 10.6.1 for Testing

Comment

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Looks like it might be time to load up the version I bought. Just waiting for 10.6.1 to upgrade.

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bring back printer support, namely HP and make sure it works over network and locally ... dbags!!!! :mad:

I think I can deal with most everything else. If you must, make the pixels of all menus slightly off if it means I get my printers back.

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I haven't had a single problem with Snow Leopard on either 3 of my Macs but any update from Apple will be good.

Comment

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
It seems odd that Apple are looking for feedback from only a small select 'invitation only' group..... why don't they try to gain as much information from their customers as possible. They could save time and money by just trawling through all the threads on the MacRumors forum !!

Comment

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
I really hope they hurry! I do have some bugs since 10.6.

Most annoying:
- Graphical issues when choosing a page from Safari's "top pages" feature
- When the dock is hidden the Mail icon doesn't bounce every time I get an email as it should, it only does that every once in a while. :(

Comment

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Hopefully they improve the scrolling of stacks... Currently it isn't the same speed as Safari scrolling.

good to see that admit that SL is just garbage in comparison to Leopard.

??? What are you talking about? Leopard was sheer utter garbage when it was released.

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
"There have, however, been several reports from users who are encountering the spinning wheel of death and battling issues with Snow Leopard's build in Cisco VPN -- two issues which may see some relief under Mac OS X 10.6.1."

Thank God. That built-in Cisco VPN is the FAIL.

Comment

Lordedmond

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Tilchestune UK
It seems odd that Apple are looking for feedback from only a small select 'invitation only' group..... why don't they try to gain as much information from their customers as possible. They could save time and money by just trawling through all the threads on the MacRumors forum !!

Ok but they would not gain much information , yes some are having problems ,are these the OS or are they created between keyboard and chair

with a small select group they have a control group of known clean machines to test on , when that phase is OK then they ( Apple ) will expand the testing

its all about knowing what you are testing on ,eg if the foundations are rotten then no matter what you build from there it will be rubbish

in testing its what you don't test that matters

Comment

thertrain

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
I have had No problems with my SL installation either. I think its a very polished system. That being said, Apple followed a very similar schedule with Leopard, and release the 10.5.1 upgrade very shortly after the OS went on sale. :apple:

Comment

bmk

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Paris
I just want my printer to work again. Then I will be happy.

Why don't you give the model of the printer, then at least someone might be able to tell you why. As it is you are making a pointless complaint which might turn out to have absolutely nothing to do with SL.

Comment

iAta

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
any idea if it will be compatable with the Golden release 10A432 ? i mean not the retail box .. :confused:

Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
good to see that admit that SL is just garbage in comparison to Leopard.

??? What are you talking about? Leopard was sheer utter garbage when it was released.

I haven't had any major issues so far with Snow Leopard and never had any problems with Leopard when it was released. Tiger on the other hand gave me big, big problems.

It's only a small minority who run into trouble when a new OS comes out, but boy do they make a big noise about it. ;)

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Fix for the sluggish feeling, stop Safari from stalling when there is lots of tabs open or a webpage loads that has a lot of content.

Option for original Expose too would be nice.

Comment

RADumas

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Installer bug fixes?

If they just fixed the installer so it wouldn't reject perfectly good startup disks and didn't screw up mysql......

Comment

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Like another poster has pointed out it's best to first test within a small group which you can trust that it's not the problem with the user but with the OS. Then after you iron out those big issues, you can start reading the bugreports, that everyone, even non-developers can submit through apple's bugreporter, and start fixing them in order of importance.

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Am I the only one noticing that the Finder seems a bit sluggish? Most notable when scrolling the icons don't populate right away.

Comment

xeex

macrumors member
May 22, 2006

let me correct myself garbage Leopard era since Tiger, always had problems with Leo and now newly installed SL although i have a new computer, its just puzzles me, how apple can cock up so much that even newly released computers have obvious problems running this operating system.

i would have to agree with comments with one user who made them recently. apple totally lost interest in hardware and operating system and moved slowly but surely to iphone gimmick and now this tablet rubbish.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.