Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently added a new Bluetooth speaker to its retail and online stores, called the "SoundLink Micro" and created by Bose. Spotted by Japanese blog Mac Otakara [Google Translate], the $109.95 speaker seems to have appeared on Apple's website around October 11, and has subsequently launched in some retail stores as well.

The SoundLink Micro is designed for durability and comes with an IPX7 waterproof rating, equivalent to the Apple Watch's rating and ability to withstand submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. The speaker's durability can resist dents, cracks, and scratches, and the package also includes a tear-resistant strap to attach to a backpack or cooler.

bose-soundlink-speaker.jpg

In terms of music playback, the speaker can last up to six hours, and if you have two of them they can be paired together for stereo or "Party Mode" playback. When synced to an iPhone, the SoundLink Micro supports access to Siri and lets you take calls right from the speaker. Bose's speaker measures at 3.87 inches tall by 3.87 inches wide, and includes a Micro USB charging cable.

Two-day shipping is available as of writing for the SoundLink Micro, and it appears that the device has already arrived at most Apple retail stores. For the locations that don't have stock today, many list availability dates later this week, around October 18. Visit Apple.com to check out more information on the speaker, which also comes in Orange, Black, and Blue color options.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Bose SoundLink Micro Bluetooth Speaker Online and In Stores

GrandmaOk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017

Apple recently added a new Bluetooth speaker to its retail and online stores, called the "SoundLink Micro" and created by Bose. Spotted by Japanese blog Mac Otakara [Google Translate], the $109.95 speaker seems to have appeared on Apple's website around October 11, and has subsequently launched in some retail stores as well.

The SoundLink Micro is designed for durability and comes with an IPX7 waterproof rating, equivalent to the Apple Watch's rating and ability to withstand submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. The speaker's durability can resist dents, cracks, and scratches, and the package also includes a tear-resistant strap to attach to a backpack or cooler.

bose-soundlink-speaker.jpg

In terms of music playback, the speaker can last up to six hours, and if you have two of them they can be paired together for stereo or "Party Mode" playback. When synced to an iPhone, the SoundLink Micro supports access to Siri and lets you take calls right from the speaker. Bose's speaker measures at 3.87 inches tall by 3.87 inches wide, and includes a Micro USB charging cable.

Two-day shipping is available as of writing for the SoundLink Micro, and it appears that the device has already arrived at most Apple retail stores. For the locations that don't have stock today, many list availability dates later this week, around October 18. Visit Apple.com to check out more information on the speaker, which also comes in Orange, Black, and Blue color options.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Bose SoundLink Micro Bluetooth Speaker Online and In Stores

Always love bose's designs. Usually happy with their stuff.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I've had one of these for almost 2 weeks. I take my dogs for a walk in different parks every morning. I have this thing attached to the strap of the bag I have slung over my shoulder. It puts the speaker right over my chest. Works great so far.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
You are better off buying a Google home mini than something like this for half the price and more smarter.......

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
For once I‘m shocked by a Bose design. Wonder what would have been the reaction once Beats introduced such a design.

fizzlefoot

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2017
A bit surprised it doesn’t use USB-C for charging. Perhaps something to do with the waterproofing?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Nevermind it does have a cord which is retarded
The Google Home Mini has a cord because it's designed to sit motionless at home, unlike this battery powered waterproof speaker, which is designed to be carried around outside. And the "smarter" part of the Google Home Mini that you mentioned comes from it talking continuously to Google over a WiFi connection. To be smart, away from home, it'd need its own cellular radio. And data plan. They're entirely different products for different purposes.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Don't waste your money on Bose junk.
Why the sustained, inexplicable antagonism over speakers and why the incoherent, patently inaccurate dismissal of anything BOSE as junk? Have you ever owned BOSE speakers and have you anything of substance to backup what appears to be a knee jerk rant? Just a thought: if you've got nothing nice or useful to say it's probably better to say nothing.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Why the sustained, inexplicable antagonism over speakers and why the incoherent, patently inaccurate dismissal of anything BOSE as junk? Have you ever owned BOSE speakers and have you anything of substance to backup what appears to be a knee jerk rant? Just a thought: if you've got nothing nice or useful to say it's probably better to say nothing.

http://nyet.org/bose/

They don't publish specs on their speakers for a reason. And you can get better for less money. People are drawn to Bose because of the name, which is funny because the Bose name just gets a chuckle from anyone who knows anything at all about audio equipment.

In the end my statement was simply a suggestion. People are free to waste their own money if they want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.