Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun selling certified refurbished 2018 iPad Pro models in several European countries, including the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Switzerland, in addition to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, China, Japan, and Hong Kong.

ipadprosizecomparison.jpg

In most of the countries, only 11-inch models are available, but there are some 12.9-inch models available in the likes of Singapore and Hong Kong. We recommend using the website Refurb Tracker to monitor Apple's inventory.

Prices are discounted by approximately 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new 2018 iPad Pro models from Apple.

Apple says certified refurbished iPad models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged in a new white box, with all accessories and documentation included. Every refurbished iPad receives a new battery and a new outer shell, making it virtually indistinguishable from a brand new iPad.

Every refurbished iPad is covered by Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the tablet is delivered. The coverage can be extended to two years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+ for iPad Pro, which costs $129 or $5.99 per month for up to 24 months in the United States.

Apple has yet to add the refurbished 2018 iPad Pro models to its online store in the United States or Canada, but it likely will within the next few days. We'll update this article and send out a tweet when that happens.

While certified refurbished products provide a decent opportunity for savings directly from Apple, better deals are often available through authorized resellers like Amazon, which just this week is offering some of the lowest-ever prices on brand new 2018 iPad Pro models in the United States.

Update: The certified refurbished 2018 iPad Pro models are now available in the United States and Canada too.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Certified Refurbished 2018 iPad Pro Models [Updated]

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Pretty sure Apple started selling refurb 2017 Pros in January the year following their announcement. I was hoping to get one refurb around then, but ended up buying used. Wonder why it took so long.

Regardless... Best Buy, Costco, and others regularly have better discounts at this point in the product cycle on new hardware vs Apple refurbished.

It’d be cool someday if Apple offered a deal on its products that was better than other stores. It’s almost never practical to buy from Apple directly. This could change with Apple Card, slightly, maybe?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I sometimes wonder how on Earth it can be cost effective to strip down these types of devices, replace batteries and indeed the entire chassis - to which everything else is mounted - and still resell at a profit. The cynic in me might think that they're mostly just customer returns/rejects that are re-boxed and sold on again. I'd most definitely be checking mine was straight before handing over any money :D

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Wonder why it took so long.

I wondered the same thing. The cynic in me says Tim knew these products were expensive and people would wait for refurbs; so he held on to try to force their hand to pay full price for new.

I mean, with the amount of returns going on (based on this forum alone) with bending and touchscreen issues you'd think there would be a lot of refurbs available.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I wondered the same thing. The cynic in me says Tim knew these products were expensive and people would wait for refurbs; so he held on to try to force their hand to pay full price for new.

I mean, with the amount of returns going on (based on this forum alone) with bending and touchscreen issues you'd think there would be a lot of refurbs available.

If they announce new ones next month, it would make sense to have previous gen refurb at a lower price point.

Pricing is still wack compared to the market for new devices.

Reactions: shadowbird423

jsavvy

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I’m in the market for a new iPad but these refurbs are not a good deal considering Amazon nearly always has the new Pros on sale.

Will Apple ever be competitive on pricing these?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Their refurbs used to be a good deal a long time ago, but now a lot of places have decent sales on Apple stuff. Buying refurb is a joke.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
After the event, current iPad pros will be sold for 100$. Reason for this is that the new models are no longer defective ugly devices but iPads with actual flush cameras...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Could you give the reasons why you disliked the bigger one. Trying to decide which way to go myself.

I use my iPad mostly in my lap and it felt enormous. I was coming from a 9.7 IPP and I just couldn't get used to it. The 11 inch just instantly felt "right". BUT there is a thread in the iPad section with a poll about which is better. There are hundreds of responses and it was pretty much split down the middle last time I looked. The 12.9 is a great choice for many people. I wasn't one of them and have never for one second regretted my exchange.

radishfever

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Cataumet MA
I use my iPad mostly in my lap and it felt enormous. I was coming from a 9.7 IPP and I just couldn't get used to it. The 11 inch just instantly felt "right". BUT there is a thread in the iPad section with a poll about which is better. There are hundreds of responses and it was pretty much split down the middle last time I looked. The 12.9 is a great choice for many people. I wasn't one of them and have never for one second regretted my exchange.

Thank you for reply. I use Lightroom and that would be the only reason to get the big one. I have a desktop though and think the 9" might be the ticket.

Reactions: MisterSavage

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
It’d be cool someday if Apple offered a deal on its products that was better than other stores. It’s almost never practical to buy from Apple directly. This could change with Apple Card, slightly, maybe?

I heard a rumor (heh) back in the day that Apple won't discount their own merch in their own store (eg 20%), with exception of the student discount and very few corporate discounts, because they offload that traffic to other retailers like B&H and Best Buy. Sort of like Mac outlet stores.

Reactions: 0989382

xbankaiz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
DE
For the people saying buying a refurb is not worth it, maybe so in the US but here in Germany, the prices for the new ones are ostentatious.

I'm very inclined to get a 256 GB 11" refurb with the student discount and Apple Care+, which comes down to about €1000. But I'm also cautious cos I think the new ones are hitting in Spring 2020 and I would really regret the purchase if they update with a better and flush camera and a stronger casing.

Reactions: martyjmclean

radishfever

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Cataumet MA
For the people saying buying a refurb is not worth it, maybe so in the US but here in Germany, the prices for the new ones are ostentatious.

I'm very inclined to get a 256 GB 11" refurb with the student discount and Apple Care+, which comes down to about €1000. But I'm also cautious cos I think the new ones are hitting in Spring 2020 and I would really regret the purchase if they update with a better and flush camera and a stronger casing.
Good points

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Pretty sure Apple started selling refurb 2017 Pros in January the year following their announcement. I was hoping to get one refurb around then, but ended up buying used. Wonder why it took so long.
Because there have to be enough inventory to actually sell them (in multiple countries to boot). The iPad Pros are not volume seller, so obviously it takes longer for any units to appear in the refurbished channels in volume.
[doublepost=1568076503][/doublepost]
To MR: Why is the 11" Pro a "Caution" and the 12.9" a "Neutral" when they were both released 314 days ago?
Probably because of how they average the product cycle.
Remember that the original 12.9" was released before the original 9" Pro. So by the numbers, the 12.9" has "longer" cycle on average.

Reactions: Seoras

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
lol why buy refurbs when retail has new ones for less than Apple's refurb pricing?

That's a very US centric view. Here in NZ I can't find an IPP 11" any cheaper (online anyway) than what Apple is selling them for here refurbished.
[doublepost=1568082497][/doublepost]
I’ll be surprised if new pros hit this year

Yep, gotta keep something for the spring event.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.