Apple Begins Selling Moment Camera Lenses for iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple recently began selling Moment's iPhone camera lenses and cases on its website. This means that you can now buy accessories like the Moment Wide 18mm Lens ($119.95), Tele 58mm Lens ($119.95), and Anamorphic Lens ($149.95) all on Apple.com.

Moment also sells iPhone cases, and they're now available on Apple's website as well. You can purchase the Moment Photo Case in Black Canvas for the iPhone XR, XS, or XS Max, priced at $39.95.

In related news, Apple has begun selling the Eve Energy Strip for $99.95. This is Eve's HomeKit-connected power strip that lets you individually control three devices through Siri or in the Home app.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Moment Camera Lenses for iPhone

Tofupunch

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014
Will these really be necessary once the third camera lens ships with the iPhone 11 Pro ?

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
move been using the wide angle on my Xs for a year and the shots are amazing. It beats carrying a dslr on trips.
Loos very nice
Do you have other pictures to share using the wide lens? Also maybe a picture of the lens mounted on the phone? Or case...

Jar Jar Abrams

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2018
I’ve been using ... or had been using Moment lenses since 2015, upgraded all to the v2 models along the way, own them all and they’re great but I think on this years 2019 iPhone Pro models they’re going to become quite redundant and good luck designing a case for that but I’m shure moment will make it’ll be ready in Jan 2020 and probably another ugly bulky case (I miss the days when they made a great adhesive metal mount) but since my iPhone XS Max I don’t use their lenses that much and their Anamorphic lens has nothing on the moondog.

Reactions: westernsky1

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
Finally! Now I just need them to sell it in the Danish Apple Store.

As a semi-pro/hobby photographer for over 10 years I absolutely see a place for Moment lenses in my pocket. It’s not always I want to carry around even my small mirror less camera with interchangeable lenses. These lenses gives the iPhone flexibility that almost reaches my Canon M50 but takes up NO space at all. Also Apples image processing is crazy on the Xs models. So a combination of auto-HDR and Moment lenses will to me make it easier/better than my M50 or even my 5D3 in some situations.

Last edited:

Corsig

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Sorry if this is a dumb question but does it make sense to release this weeks before the new phones are released? The whole camera layout is different and it won’t fit the 11’s

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
Sorry if this is a dumb question but does it make sense to release this weeks before the new phones are released? The whole camera layout is different and it won’t fit the 11’s
The lenses aren’t just released now. They have been selling lenses for iPhones since the iPhone 5/6.
And even if they just released it now there would be plenty of people with iPhone Xs’ and downwards that would be able to use them :)

Reactions: Saipher

KillerScoregasm

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
$120 each? :eek: May as well get a dslr. o_O
I was given a Canon Rebel 6 (don’t judge-we aren’t rich) as a gift from the woman and absolutely love to take photos with it, have even picked up a couple lenses. I will say, I never take it anywhere because of the fact that it’s bulky, not able to slap it in a pocket when I’m done, and just not convenient. So I see a reason for these to exist.

StrongArmmed

macrumors member
iPhone photography is becoming a legitimate alternative to entry-level DSLRs and for some purposes, rivals some pro-sumer stuff, when taking into account the portability and compactness. My only reluctance in purchasing is the fact that the iPhone 11 (Pro?) is coming in a month, and will render obsolete the case that's required for these lenses. Still these three lenses add extra dimension to the camera on A PHONE that can literally make you a published photographer or filmaker with a screen-quality feature. We live in amazing times!

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I personally use Sony RX100 instead. Yeah it’s more expensive, but the all in one package is worth it for me. Canon has something similar for half the price I believe but I prefer Sony.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
I personally use Sony RX100 instead. Yeah it’s more expensive, but the all in one package is worth it for me. Canon has something similar for half the price I believe but I prefer Sony.
I had one for 2 years and seldom used it. I loved the camera actually but the menus were too clunky I felt and the camera wasn’t sturdy enough for how used it. Lovely camera in general though and still miss it a times.

Reactions: ghost187

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
MOMENT lenses are excellent, but I recommend to also take a look at SANDMARC...
I've been using the wide angle on my Xs for a year and the shots are amazing. It beats carrying a dslr on trips.
Absolutely agree! I find myself using the iPhone most of the time rather than the DSLR. Sensor size is no longer relevant these days and the remaining advantages that the DSLR provides are often not worth carrying the additional equipment. Also, the missing wireless link between DSLR and smartphones is a major issue in usability (and, yes, I'm aware of WiFi SD Cards). Last but not least, I've found the iPhone to have superior dynamic range. To get a similar result using a DSRL one would have to do manual HDR, which in comparison is a PITA.
(Kindly advise which equipment was used to shoot the picture shown! Thanks!)
$120 each? :eek: May as well get a dslr. o_O
If you want a decent DSLR 120 isn't going to get you started and each lens will cost at least 200, more likely 300-500.
While the lenses are not loosing value over time, it's a lot of money you need to spend for equipment that you will have to carry additionally. Last but no least, to take full advantage of a DSLR you will need to postprocess the RAW, which requires software, skills and time. For hobby photographers, these days I would rather invest in high end smartphone lenses.

B2T:
IMHO Apple should include a distortion free (software assisted is OK) 14-16mm native lense in the next iPhone... In most situations you want to capture the moment (or view) -and this is where wide angle is crucial. >24mm is not going to do that. => You need at least 90° horizontal FOV, preferably 120°
Having a (just a) 2x "tele lens" is BTW almost completely useless from a photographing perspective. You can as well get a little closer and/or crop. The only purpose of the tele in the iPhone is depth measurement.

jamisonbaines

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
CA
Sensor size is no longer relevant these days and the remaining advantages that the DSLR provides are often not worth carrying the additional equipment. Also, the missing wireless link between DSLR and smartphones is a major issue in usability (and, yes, I'm aware of WiFi SD Cards). Last but not least, I've found the iPhone to have superior dynamic range. To get a similar result using a DSRL one would have to do manual HDR, which in comparison is a PITA.
I have Sirui lenses which I sometimes use with my iPhone. They are a decent replacement for a small sensor point and shoot, and for casual video I prefer the iPhone to most cameras.
Sensor size is absolutely still relevant though. A cell phone absolutely cannot match an APS-C sensor, much less a full frame sensor camera with good glass. Low light, high ISO, depth of field control, not to mention controls and ergonomics. And any current high end camera has wifi and/or bkuetooth connectivity with your smart phone for image transfer and remote control.

I like Moment's youtube channel. Good luck designing a case to fit these lenses to the rumoured 2019 triple camera hump though.