Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added a variety of charging solutions and other products to its online store from brands such as OtterBox, Mophie, Belkin, Ubio Labs, Native Union, STM, and Promise Technology.

OtterBox's stackable wireless charging system OtterSpot includes a base that can charge up to three disc-shaped 5,000 mAh batteries and an iPhone, AirPods case, or other device on the top simultaneously. The idea is that you can quickly pick up one of the batteries from the stack and charge any Qi-enabled device on the go.

otterspot.jpg

Introduced in August 2019, the OtterSpot system comes with a 36W USB-C power adapter and offers fast charging up to 10 watts. The base and one battery are available as a combo for $129.95, or the base and standalone batteries can be purchased separately for $69.95 each.

Available exclusively at Apple is Mophie's latest Powerstation Plus XL battery pack with an 8,000 mAh capacity for $99.95, as well as braided USB-C to Mini DisplayPort and USB-C to Micro-B cables.

mophie-powerstation-xl-8000mah.jpg

6,000 mAh and 10,000 mAh battery packs from Ubio Labs are also available for $59.95 and $79.95, respectively.

Apple has added two BOOST?CHARGE power adapters from Belkin, including one with a single 18W USB-C port for $39.95 and one with dual 18W USB-C and 12W USB-A ports for $44.95 for charging devices like iPhones and iPads. Each power adapter includes a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box.

Three more RAID storage systems are available from Promise Technology, including R4/16TB, R6/24TB, and R8/32TB options.

promise-pegasus32-raid.jpg

Last, there are new cases from Native Union and STM for the 10.2-inch iPad.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling OtterBox's Stackable Wireless Charging System and Other Latest Accessories

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Very interesting concept and I'll wait to see how this actually works, but I do see some potential issues. The biggest issue is charging things "on the go" with a wireless connection. Right now I can hook a battery up to my iPhone via a cable and put it in my carry bag (or more often a 6-foot cable connected to the battery in my bag while I still USE the device). Under the same scenario this would require some mechanism to keep the battery and phone touching and in the correct orientation... so I'll use what? A rubber band? How exactly is that an improvement?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Very interesting concept and I'll wait to see how this actually works, but I do see some potential issues. The biggest issue is charging things "on the go" with a wireless connection. Right now I can hook a battery up to my iPhone via a cable and put it in my carry bag (or more often a 6-foot cable connected to the battery in my bag while I still USE the device). Under the same scenario this would require some mechanism to keep the battery and phone touching and in the correct orientation... so I'll use what? A rubber band? How exactly is that an improvement?
I'm thinking it could be cool to charge them overnight and then place them around the house in areas that get a lot of traffic. Gives people a place to toss their phone down to charge without needing a separate wireless charger with a nearby outlet at each area. It's really just a convenience thing instead of a necessary gadget :)

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
I'm thinking it could be cool to charge them overnight and then place them around the house in areas that get a lot of traffic. Gives people a place to toss their phone down to charge without needing a separate wireless charger with a nearby outlet at each area. It's really just a convenience thing instead of a necessary gadget :)

Great point. We could have convenient chargers in places where a plug isn't available. For example... on a sofa or end table!

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Portable wireless pucks is freaking me out they know something we don't and the no port iPhone might actually be a thing. Unless cars can get affordable wireless airplay upgrades I completely don't support the no port agenda.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Very interesting concept and I'll wait to see how this actually works, but I do see some potential issues. The biggest issue is charging things "on the go" with a wireless connection.
That was actually the first thing that got me excited about these when I saw them; normal battery packs are cumbersome and require a wired connection. It might be possible to keep your phone in your pocket and drop one of these pucks next to it to charge.

Obviously, you won't be able to use it while charging, but having a long cable dangling from my phone while I'm out is always a bit awkward.

Edit: I just tried putting my corded wireless charger :oops: in my pocket with my phone, and it charged! I don't know how this would be for long-term use given that they might get jostled a bit… but this just gives you an excuse to wear tight pants.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
That was actually the first thing that got me excited about these when I saw them; normal battery packs are cumbersome and require a wired connection. It might be possible to keep your phone in your pocket and drop one of these pucks next to it to charge.

Obviously, you won't be able to use it while charging, but having a long cable dangling from my phone while I'm out is always a bit awkward.

Edit: I just tried putting my corded wireless charger :oops: in my pocket with my phone, and it charged! I don't know how this would be for long-term use given that they might get jostled a bit… but this just gives you an excuse to wear tight pants.

Fair enough, and I don't necessarily disagree. It really depends on the circumstances. I travel a lot so am sitting in airports, hotel lobbies, etc. and frequently need to recharge (or keep a device charged). Wireless has some nice convenience factors, but I have to *use* my devices at the same time. Add that to the slower charging speed and it loses effectiveness for my situation.

That said, do you really NEED an excuse to wear tight pants? ✌️

Reactions: AngerDanger

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I know OtterBox has paired with pop socket to create cases with built in pop sockets. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to see another of their cases pair with their wireless charger to sort of clip the charger to it easily.

of course, that's all speculation on my part. But I'm basing it on existing product.
[automerge]1579718105[/automerge]
Most people put a screen protector on anyway, I’d rather keep that on and swap cases on the back, it’s easier.
I think the reference here is not covering the bottom and/or buttons. And I agree. I don't get the point of a case that leaves parts of the device open.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota

But then you have more batteries to manage. I'd rather just get more chargers and leave them plugged in around the house so I don't have to remember to put them on the charger too. I wonder if you can give one to your family members and have them vibrate and blink when dinners ready too :p

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Portable wireless pucks is freaking me out they know something we don't and the no port iPhone might actually be a thing. Unless cars can get affordable wireless airplay upgrades I completely don't support the no port agenda.

The whole ‘no lightning port’ isn’t even close to being a reality right now. How would Apple be able to complete a proper restore/reboot without the lightning port? I’m not saying you can’t happen, but I don’t think that’s anything to be concerned with at this point yet. I think the only distinct advantage not having a lightning port, is it just allows the phone to be more water resistant with less points of ingress.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Today, where did I put my phone? I remember, its on the charger by the wall. Tomorrow, where did I put my phone? It's on the charging puck. Where did I put the charging puck?
I’m always losing my iPhone, and it’s seldom on the charger when that happens. One of the kids does something and I set the iPhone down to deal with the problem. I’m thinking of the kid, not the iPhone. Or I could set the iPhone down and one of the kids moves it.

In any case, the solution is simple. I use the Find My app, or I just use the ping utility on my Apple Watch.

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
The whole ‘no lightning port’ isn’t even close to being a reality right now. How would Apple be able to complete a proper restore/reboot without the lightning port? I’m not saying you can’t happen, but I don’t think that’s anything to be concerned with at this point yet. I think the only distinct advantage not having a lightning port, is it just allows the phone to be more water resistant with less points of ingress.

Someone showed a mockup with a hidden diagnostic port in the sim tray. It would be just like Apple Watch and Apple TV so it isn't as far away as you think. It's Apple's ultimate goal I'm afraid. Oh failed to restore you have to have your device serviced.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Someone showed a mockup with a hidden diagnostic port in the sim tray. It would be just like Apple Watch and Apple TV so it isn't as far away as you think. It's Apple's ultimate goal I'm afraid. Oh failed to restore you have to have your device serviced.

That’s really interesting. And you know what, I could envision a port being implemented into the Sim card area. I never thought of that, but then again, that’s why I’m not a hardware engineer for Apple. 😁

But I agree, I could see Apple moving this way eventually, where they’re the only ones that could restore the iPhone _if_ there was a software fault.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010

Totally agree. I travel a fair amount internationally. Wireless travel chargers all sound good until ups put them in a bag, or they get jostled on a tray table. I consolidated a few things and bought this:

10000mAh battery, Built in lightning cable, USB-C port for my iPad Pro and will charge my MacBook Pro (when closed) and includes snap in adapters for different countries. Pretty much perfect. A little more juice on the USB-C would be nice to charge the MacBook while running, but it hasn't been an issue thus far.

Reactions: Arran

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

Do you really want to think about charging an additional 7 charging bricks though, whenever they run out? A wireless charging pad makes much more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.