Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added the 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M3 chip to its certified refurbished store in Canada and select European countries, including Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK, for the first time since the laptop debuted in October. Availability in the U.S. began earlier this month.

m3-mbp-space-black.jpg

As usual for Apple's refurbished products, the refurbished 14-inch MacBook Pro models are discounted by approximately 15% compared to the equivalent brand new models. A variety of configurations and color options are available.

Apple says it puts refurbished Macs through a "thorough cleaning process and inspection" to ensure they are fully functional and in good condition, and they are covered by Apple's one-year limited warranty and eligible for extended AppleCare+ coverage. The laptops are repackaged in a plain white box with all accessories and manuals.

In our view, Apple's refurbished Macs are virtually indistinguishable from brand new ones, providing a good opportunity for savings directly from Apple. However, larger discounts are often available from resellers like Amazon.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 14-Inch MacBook Pro With M3 Chip in Canada and Europe

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Only M3 chip devices (8 core CPU), lame……..
That 14" M3 MBP replaced the obsolete 13" M2 MBP. So this year you can get a 14" MBP with the superior mini-LED display with 6 speakers for $400 USD less then the M3 Pro $1999 USD (list prices). The soon to arrive M3 15" MBA is only a $100 less, not sure its that great a buy comparably to the more capable 14" M3 MBP?

AND411

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
With 16gb it's only $ 200, fewer cores, only one fan and only 2 TB ports. The fact that so many 8-core devices are now ending up in refurbished stores is a symptom.
The difference between the display of the Air and the 14 Pro isn't so big that you should pay hundreds of dollars more for it.

Last edited:

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Possibly, but my money is on the YouTube 'reviewers' who bought one, made a video and then took it back to the store.
Or all those that are sent out to influencers for free trials, but ultimately must be returned. iJess and others get items shipped to them all the time to test and post said YouTube videos at no cost. Free advertising, but can't really sell those as new after.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
I'm actually in the middle of the MacBook buying process right now with Best Buy using their Upgrade+ program. Funny thing is, I changed my mind from the Midnight MacBook Air (planning a return) to the $2k MacBook Pro since it was only a difference of $300 for a 120hz screen and a significantly better chip. So with Apple Refurbished, the $2k MacBook Pro M3 Pro is the same price as a 15" M2 MacBook Air with 512/16. That's crazy lmao

Reactions: dexterie and AND411

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I might consider the Macbook Pro in 5 years or so

One thing i like about the pros over my m2 macbook air is the thickness…. It just feels far more sturdy. I haven't had an issue with my m2 macbook air at all… but it “feels” way more fragile than the Pro.

I handle it extra carefully lol especially when in my laptop bag

🤔

Reactions: Steve-Jobz

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I might consider the Macbook Pro in 5 years or so

One thing i like about the pros over my m2 macbook air is the thickness…. It just feels far more sturdy. I haven't had an issue with my m2 macbook air at all… but it “feels” way more fragile than the Pro.

I handle it extra carefully lol especially when in my laptop bag

🤔
A Memory Foam Laptop Sleeve Laptop Case is very reasonable and you can fit that inside a laptop bag for extra protection against accidents as a FYI.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
A Memory Foam Laptop Sleeve Laptop Case is very reasonable and you can fit that inside a laptop bag for extra protection against accidents as a FYI.
Yeah those are useful for sure…. But its not dings like that im worried about… its that is so thin that i don't think it would take much force to bend it if someone was to push past you or if it was in a bag with many other items pressing against it. Ive found it difficult to find a decent bag that has a soft interior but a hard outer shell like Thule used to sell many years ago.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Possibly, but my money is on the YouTube 'reviewers' who bought one, made a video and then took it back to the store.
That stuff should be banned honestly since they are that famous online stores should banned them if they keep returning a product. It’s abusing the return policy. I rarely return items and just seeing people doing it so often at Apple makes me shake my head at people

Reactions: Stenik

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
my app had dimamic island menus 10 years ago and I dont recall that even something new at that moment.

There are plenty of similar examples in Ui design

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I'm curious who the target buyer would be for an M3 MacBook Pro with only 8gb?

Well first, I have to defend 8GB. It's an unpopular opinion in these forums, but 8GB really gets lot of things done very well with Apple silicon. A base spec Air is a great machine for most non-nerds i.e. if your main uses are Web, email, photos, short video projects, MS Office etc.. My wife has an 8GB M1 Air and it's more computer than she will need for YEARS!

With that said, in a Pro chassis, I tend to agree that 8GB is a little odd in terms of positioning. I mean, it's still a perfectly capable machine but one I would only recommend at a steep discount, otherwise I would steer people towards a MacBook Air which offers similar performance in a different chassis.

So who's buying it? Well... my guesses are:

1. Those who prefer the screen and port selection of the 14" body over the thin and light Air (e.g. if you need dongle free HDMI or SD card slot).
  2. The unenlightened who might think that the M3 'Pro' machine somehow offers more performance than an Air (this will be especially true when the M3 Air arrives). Sure it has a cooling fan which helps in some situations, but it's not night and day difference.
  3. Those who get it at a big discount.
Of all the machines in Apple's current line-up this is the most perplexing. It exists to hit a price point for the Pro, but it's really hard to recommend it over an Air.

Reactions: dexterie

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Well first, I have to defend 8GB. It's an unpopular opinion in these forums, but 8GB really gets lot of things done very well with Apple silicon. A base spec Air is a great machine for most non-nerds i.e. if your main uses are Web, email, photos, short video projects, MS Office etc.. My wife has an 8GB M1 Air and it's more computer than she will need for YEARS!

With that said, in a Pro chassis, I tend to agree that 8GB is a little odd in terms of positioning. I mean, it's still a perfectly capable machine but one I would only recommend at a steep discount, otherwise I would steer people towards a MacBook Air which offers similar performance in a different chassis.

So who's buying it? Well... my guesses are:

1. Those who prefer the screen and port selection of the 14" body over the thin and light Air (e.g. if you need dongle free HDMI or SD card slot).
  2. The unenlightened who might think that the M3 'Pro' machine somehow offers more performance than an Air (this will be especially true when the M3 Air arrives). Sure it has a cooling fan which helps in some situations, but it's not night and day difference.
  3. Those who get it at a big discount.
Of all the machines in Apple's current line-up this is the most perplexing. It exists to hit a price point for the Pro, but it's really hard to recommend it over an Air.

Right, I have nothing against 8 gigabytes on lower models either.

Which is why I’m pointing out this particular MBP. And perhaps a bad analogy, but it’s like putting a powerful engine in a car, but giving it only a drop of gas.

Having a M3 is a waste when you can only do so much before you run into a bottleneck. As you suggested a MacBook Air would serve the needs of most.

The only possible user I could think of might be a day trader who needs a Pro model to connect to multiple displays.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I'm curious who the target buyer would be for an M3 MacBook Pro with only 8gb?
Someone who doesn’t need more than 8gb? I got one to replace my 2016 13” pro. I was aiming for the 13” Air but I wanted a slightly larger display and better speakers. As I often work outside, the brighter display was also a nice boost.
I could have bought whatever MacBook but I went for this one because it fits my needs. More than fits. It’s actually overkill.
Not everyone needs 16+Gb ram. Even the Air would be overkill, but I chose the “Pro” for the form factor.

Edit: also bought it at a discount (some anniversary discount at a local store), making it cheaper than buying the 15” Air directly from Apple.

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
The soon to arrive M3 15" MBA is only a $100 less, not sure its that great a buy comparably to the more capable 14" M3 MBP?
Interesting question- I would say as they both have a M3, and if they have the same RAM no noticeable differences would be seen, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.