Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week started selling certified refurbished 15-inch MacBook Air models through its online store in select European countries, as noted by @SaranByte on X, formerly known as Twitter. So far, these countries include the U.K., Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, and Switzerland. Availability will likely expand to the U.S., Canada, and additional countries within the next few weeks.

MacBook-Air-15-Inch-Feature-Blue.jpg

As usual for refurbished Macs, prices are discounted by approximately 15% compared to brand new models. A variety of configurations are available to order.

Apple inspects, cleans, tests, and repackages all refurbished Macs to ensure they are fully functional and in good condition, and Apple's refurbished products are covered by a one-year limited warranty and eligible for AppleCare+ coverage.

Apple released the 15-inch MacBook Air at WWDC in June, with pricing starting at $1,299 in the U.S. The laptop has the same overall design and M2 chip as the 13-inch MacBook Air, but it features a larger display and two additional speakers. The laptop is available in four color options: Midnight, Starlight, Space Gray, and Silver.

Keep in mind that the 15-inch MacBook Air is frequently on sale at resellers, so be sure to keep track of our MacBook Air deals guide.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 15-Inch MacBook Air in Europe

Reactions: compwiz1202

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
That was quick. Could the 15” MBA be the iPhone 14 Plus?

All of this supposed demand just never materializes for one reason or another?

I watched Snazzy Labs last night, and he said basically if you wanted a larger screen MacBook with the best value in a 16/512 configuration, go with the 14” MacBook Pro. It’s only $100 difference and with a way better processor.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I looked into it but don't really have any use for a 15" over the 13" air that I currently have. Refurbished might be a good deal, though. They aren't normally much cheaper than the pro.

I wish they kept the wedge shape!

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
No. The iPhone 14 Plus isn't available as refurbished yet while the MacBook Air 15" is

I watched Snazzy Labs last night, and he said basically if you wanted a larger screen MacBook with the best value in a 16/512 configuration, go with the 14” MacBook Pro. It’s only $100 difference and with a way better processor.
How did this Snazzy person come to this $100 price difference?

15" MacBook Air M2 in 16/512 config is $1699 new.
14" MacBook Pro M2 Pro in 16/512 config is $1999 new.

That's a $300 difference.

A refurb 14" MacBook Pro M2 Pro in 16/512 config is $1699 though.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I was hyped for one of these day 1, ready to finally replace an Intel MBpro with worn-out battery, thinking I could do the lighter-to-modest stuff on this and save any heavy duty stuff for the Mac Studio back at home.

I jumped right into the store the first minute and then configured it as I wanted it: more RAM and more SSD, equivalent to the MBpro it was intended to replace. Total price was just too high... especially relative to MBpros with superior CPUs and many other benefits. So the over-priced upgrades FROZE the purchase, sending me off on a tangent of looking at various configs of MBpro at various deal prices including what the same money could buy in refurbs.

Long story short: I ended up deciding to just replace the battery in the existing MBpro and ride it another year or two. Apple has simply priced RAM and SSD far too high. Anyone with knowledge of what the equivalents of RAM and SSD cost in PCs know this very well. But even if we fully ignore the side with lots of competition competing for such parts (as opposed to our side of the fence where there is only ONE source of both parts- always a very bad scenario for consumers looking for value), step up the configurations from base specs and Silicon Macs get very expensive, very fast.

Farrrrrr overpriced RAM & SSD fully derailed what would have been an easy sale. I ended up spending about $55 to give an aging MBpro about 7 hours battery life again. Yes, that's far from "up to 20 hours" but I don't know many people who work 20 hours per day with no access to a socket anyway.

Hopefully, Apple will someday decide to find those "another quarter of record" profits in some other way, so that essential Mac parts stop seeming like such consumer robbery. Instead of just rolling over and paying up, this consumer decided to stretch what I already have. Maybe the M5 version will be a better value?

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

I just priced them on apple.com and it's more like a $300 difference.

henkie

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2023
I was hyped for one of these day 1, ready to finally replace an Intel MBpro with worn-out battery, thinking I could do the lighter-to-modest stuff on this and save any heavy duty stuff for the Mac Studio back at home.

I jumped right into the store the first minute and then configured it as I wanted it: more RAM and more SSD, equivalent to the MBpro it was intended to replace. Total price was just too high... especially relative to MBpros with superior CPUs and many other benefits. So the over-priced upgrades FROZE the purchase, sending me off on a tangent of looking at various configs of MBpro at various deal prices including what the same money could buy in refurbs.

Long story short: I ended up deciding to just replace the battery in the existing MBpro and ride it another year or two. Apple has simply priced RAM and SSD far too high. Anyone with knowledge of what the equivalents of RAM and SSD cost in PCs know this very well. But even if we fully ignore the side with lots of competition competing for such parts (as opposed to our side of the fence where there is only ONE source of both parts- always a very bad scenario for consumers looking for value), step up the configurations from base specs and Silicon Macs get very expensive, very fast.

Farrrrrr overpriced RAM & SSD fully derailed what would have been an easy sale. I ended up spending about $55 to give an aging MBpro about 7 hours battery life again. Yes, that's far from "up to 20 hours" but I don't know many people who work 20 hours per day with no access to a socket anyway.

Hopefully, Apple will someday decide to find those "another quarter of record" profits in some other way, so that essential Mac parts stop seeming like such consumer robbery. Instead of just rolling over and paying up, this consumer decided to stretch what I already have. Maybe the M5 version will be a better value?
Similar situation. But my MBP 2015 was really getting old. Got excited by the Air 15”. Wanted to get a 1tb 16gb. Instead I got a 16/1TB refurb m1pro 14” from a dealer (1 battery cycle only, squeaky clean) for 450 euros less. Apple is not deserving my hard earned cash: if you buy directly from Apple at these upgrade prizes you are being ripped off. Anyone saying 8/256 is enough if you just email/surf the web: why would you spend 1600 euros for it? Let alone the future proofing is nonexistent with 8/256.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

Yeah and you can run at least 2 monitors off of it. The forced monitor limitations on the base M1/M2 chips are kind of nutty.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
This would be the perfect Mac if it had a M2 Max chip in it. And an extra thunderbolt port, a hdmi port, sd card slot, magsafe, and a headphone port. And an extra inch of screen size.
And call it a (16-inch) MacBook Pro 🤣

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Market is saturated, even many Intel MacBooks are still working just fine. I use one at work primarily just configure iOS devices in our MDM. You really don't need an M1 or M2 for that.
True. I just got the base model 16” MacBook Pro 2019 with a brand new battery, top case, keyboard, trackpad and I/O board replaced by Apple for £670 and it still has a warranty until jan 2024, so basically brand new. It’s a great laptop and good value for money!

Last edited:

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I picked one up when they first went on sale, replacing the 13” M1, and think it was a great choice. It’s a great machine and the camera is definitely better.
Camera was already improved on the 13” M2 over the M1, and has nothing to do with the new 15” form factor.

Stoianski

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2019
This article is about the EU, but your Amazon and other deals are always US centric.
The lowest refurbished configuration costs:
1.359,00 € (discounted from 1.599,00€)

In Amazon Germany the current price for the same configuration is between 1.387,71€ and 1.399,00€ depending on the color. I have seen it staying like this for at least 1-2 months, and probably shortly after the release.

Reactions: Darajavahus

mvdrl

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2018
Northwest
I have a 16" MacBook Pro M1, a 13.3" Macbook Air M1, and a 15" Macbook Air... the one I use by FAR the most is the 15" Air - perfect combo of portability, long battery life, and big screen... I've bought lots of refurbs direct from Apple's store with excellent experiences - don't hesitate to pick up a 15" Air from the refurb store if you're considering it - they're AWESOME!

Reactions: spook
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.