Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun selling certified refurbished 2020 MacBook Air models through its online store in the United States for the first time, with prices discounted by approximately 15 percent compared to brand new models.

macbook_air_trio_transparent.png

Apple says refurbished MacBook Air models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a USB-C power adapter and USB-C cable in the box. In our view, a refurbished MacBook Air is virtually indistinguishable from a brand new model, so this represents a good opportunity for savings directly from Apple.

Keep in mind that third-party resellers frequently offer better deals than Apple's refurbished prices, so be sure to monitor our deals roundup.

A refurbished MacBook Air comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the notebook is delivered. The warranty can be extended to three years from the refurbished purchase date with AppleCare+ at a cost of $249 for the MacBook Air.

(Thanks, Shanmugam Senthivel!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2020 MacBook Air Models

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
At this price point, the base model is a great deal (for people who do not need more capability).

Reactions: aajeevlin
Comment

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Thats a deal, though occasionally you can get the 2018 model (with the crappy KB and no true tone) for $679!!!

Comment

Metrosey

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2019
Still want an inside picture of a refurbished MacBook. The one I’ve seen wasn’t in good condition.

Comment

UBNO

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
Organizational discounts (i.e. student, military) stack with the refurb store. If you qualify, it can be close to 25% off list price.

EDIT: Turns out only the veteran/military discount stacks with the refurbished price. The student one does not.

Last edited:
Comment

WildSky

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
As of last week they also added 2020 Mac Minis to the US Refurb Store too. Yes, yes I know there's no "2020 Mac Mini", but that's the release date in the product description. Previously it was only the 2018s.

Comment

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
These are nice prices if you really want one of these right away.

I’d hold out for an Apple CPU powered one if possible. On these thin and light models, the performance and battery life is going to absolutely crush the Intel models.

Reactions: MisterAndrew
Comment

ChrisBos

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
I don't think that's true, for the student discounts anyway.

It's not, savings are just presented in the context of the store you're in. For example: The base i5 is $1099 in both the regular and edu refurb stores. The former also shows the regular price and says "save $200," while the latter shows the edu price and says "save $100."

Comment

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
2018 model had a terrible screen. Dark, splotchy yuckiness. I couldn’t believe how bad it was. Current model screen is MUCH better.

2018 model has the same exact screen with the exception of tru tone and it was slightly dimmer (although I heard the maximum brightness that was raised in an update). My brother has a 2018 and it's not dark, splotchy, or 'yucky'.

Comment

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So soon suggests a much higher than normal return rate.
Believe it or not, it's been 3 months since it came out. This is about normal. That said, with people working from home and stores closed, I wouldn't be surprised if returns were a bit higher (people trying it out, and then getting a different model or the MacBook Pro). I expect we'll see the 13" Pro hit the refurb store in about 5-6 weeks.

Comment

Cosmoknot

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
So soon suggests a much higher than normal return rate.

Returned mine within a couple of days. Fans running at full blast during videoconferencing doesn't cut it.

Spending a couple hundred extra bucks on the new Pro model was well worth it.

Comment

Saturn007

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
"The Air is a great laptop, but these price drops aren’t enough to justify not getting a new one, in my opinion."

Extra negative in there. I think you meant:

"The Air is a great laptop, but these price drops aren’t enough to justify getting a new one, in my opinion."

In any case, I disagree -- IF someone has been on the fence about getting one, a 15% discount is appealing and could make the difference!

Comment

roncron

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Returned mine within a couple of days. Fans running at full blast during videoconferencing doesn't cut it.

Spending a couple hundred extra bucks on the new Pro model was well worth it.
I did the same as you, for the same reason. I'm guessing we're not the only ones.

Comment

UBNO

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
I don't think that's true, for the student discounts anyway.

I stand corrected. Looks like it’s only the veteran/military discount that stacks with the refurbished store. Over there the 2020 Air starts at $764 instead of $849. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Return Zero
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.