Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today started selling refurbished 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips for the first time in the United States. These models launched in January alongside a new Mac mini, which is not available refurbished yet.

14-vs-16-inch-mbp-m2-pro-and-max-feature-1.jpg

The refurbished models are discounted by approximately 15 percent compared to the equivalent brand new configurations. Apple tests, inspects, cleans, and repackages all refurbished Macs to ensure they are fully functional and in good condition, and they are covered by a one-year limited warranty and eligible for AppleCare+ coverage.

The latest MacBook Pro models provide up to 20% faster performance and up to 30% faster graphics compared to the previous generation. The laptops can also be configured with up to 96GB of RAM, compared to a max of 64GB previously, and they feature Wi-Fi 6E, an HDMI 2.1 port with 8K external display support, and longer battery life.

(Thanks, Ryan Gregg!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished 2023 MacBook Pro Models

Reactions: BluefinTuna

thinkdiff89

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Hmm, these are available sooner than I expected. On a related note, I'm wondering if Apple has made any changes to its refurbishing process. I ordered 2 M1 Pro MBPs and they both had what I consider to be flaws with them—one had a display lamination issue and the other had a few nicks on the casing. Previously, most of the refurbished products I bought from Apple were in mint condition.

Reactions: sorgo †

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Anyone ever purchase one refurbished wondering if its worth the extra money to just get new ?
No because Apple refurbs are literally indistinguishable from the new, apart from coming in a blank white box, which is completely inconsequential.

Buying "new" Apple devices is basically just paying a "I'm too impatient to wait for refurbs" tax on top of what their "true" price really is.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Anyone ever purchase one refurbished wondering if its worth the extra money to just get new ?

Oh most definitely it's worth it buying from the Apple Refurbished Store. Apple takes great care with their refurbs and each refurb has a new battery and a one year warranty as if it was new, and is eligible for AppleCare.

Just know the Refurb Store can be misleading sometimes. Sometimes you find a good deal, othertimes you pay for more than you need, since the specs of the specific refurb item isn't in plain sight, so you need to pay attention to what specs you're paying for, especially with the 14/16 inch MBPs since the M1 Pro/Max variants are in there too and not made apparent which laptops have which SoC.

Reactions: Weasel13 and RyanXM

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Most of the time these are just returns after someone decides they want a different amount of storage, memory, or a different color. I wouldn't expect any issues.

I have gotten a couple of refurbished devices from Apple as part of "battery service" and had hardware problems with them. In one case, I got an iPad with a home button that would occasionally not work.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Only ~$150 cheaper than the EDU price, and during the summer they give out free airpods with those. That's the best time to buy a mac

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
For the longest time I only bought refurbished units - only difference is you don't get the nice new box, but the units were alway in tip top shape.
I also have had A+ experiences buying direct from Apple refurbished.

What I DON'T recommend is buying open box from anywhere. I bought an open box 2015 MBP from Best Buy. Yeah, it was returned for a reason. After several days of playing: why are my files randomly corrupted? It went to Apple for a full logic board replacement.

KSnBigD

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
Texas
APPLE does not allow you to buy ANY refurbished item, use your APPLE credit card and make monthly payments . . . UGH!!!

• Sad
Reactions: tridley68

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
Does it beat EDU pricing or other reduced pricing at competitors? I also notice there are no iPhones except those things for more than a grand. A grand for a telephone? Somebody is laughing at us.

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Refurbs directly from Apple? They're great. Still using a refurb 2012 27" i7 iMac, and was using a refurb 2013 15" MBP until the M1s came out. Never had any issues with them.

Reactions: tridley68

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Oh most definitely it's worth it buying from the Apple Refurbished Store. Apple takes great care with their refurbs and each refurb has a new battery and a one year warranty as if it was new, and is eligible for AppleCare.

Just know the Refurb Store can be misleading sometimes. Sometimes you find a good deal, othertimes you pay for more than you need, since the specs of the specific refurb item isn't in plain sight, so you need to pay attention to what specs you're paying for, especially with the 14/16 inch MBPs since the M1 Pro/Max variants are in there too and not made apparent which laptops have which SoC.

Thanks I forgot t. Ask about the battery which would be most important thanks again I with be checking the refurb out.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014

Great thanks for the info.

daylight28

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2003
New england
I love refurbs, all my Mac were refurbs. Had issues with a few but that is what apple care is for. but 4 pages of refurbs released in one day! makes me think. 14" MacBook Pro 12 core and 30 core gpu does sound nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.