Apple Begins Selling Refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 Models With LTE

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this week added refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 models with LTE to its online store for the first time in the United States.

[​IMG]

A selection of 10 cellular-enabled Apple Watch Series 3 models have been made available for sale over the past two days, but as of writing, only one model remains in stock. More inventory should be added over time, so we recommend using the website Refurb Tracker if you are interested in a particular model.

The refurbished models are priced between $359 and $549, reflecting savings of 15 to 16 percent off the price of brand new models.

A cellular-enabled 42mm Apple Watch Series 3 with a silver aluminum case and fog-colored sport band is listed for $359, for example, which is $70 off the $429 price of an equivalent brand new model.

Apple Watch Series 3 models were first released in September 2017, but only non-cellular GPS models were available refurbished until now. Series 3 models feature a faster dual-core S3 processor, and an Apple-designed W2 chip that makes Wi-Fi up to 85 percent faster and up to 50 percent more power efficient.

Apple says all refurbished Apple Watch models are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a new box and all manuals and accessories, including a magnetic charging puck and a power adapter. In our view, Apple's refurbished products are generally indistinguishable from brand new ones.

Any refurbished Apple Watch comes with Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the device is delivered. The warranty can be extended to up to two years from the original purchase date with AppleCare+ for Apple Watch, which covers accidental damage for a fee, at a cost of $49 in the United States.

Apple also began selling refurbished iMac Pro models earlier this week.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 Models With LTE

2. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

The LTE feature turned out to be pretty useful to me. I had my doubts at first.

3. AZMecha macrumors member

AZMecha

LTE is awesome on my S3...

Now just need 802.11 ac 5GHz and be able to upload music directly an not over slow Bluetooth.

Lets Go WWDC & Sept Event!!!!!

4. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Given how rarely I make phone calls anymore... I wouldn't mind seeing an LTE Watch that's either completely decoupled from another iOS device or else one that could work with an iPad. I could be very happy with just a Watch and an iPad Mini - removing the iPhone from the equation completely.

5. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

Will *these* screens crack? And Apple deny responsibility?

6. hotstreaks macrumors newbie

the App Roulette Home Screen in watchOS...

could we have this on iPhone iOS12?

Dance Dance Revolution style. it is an entertaining home screen. with widgets on each app tile in future updates. very futuristic.

7. Relentless Power, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The user would have to cause the damage in order for the screen to crack, why would Apple take responsibility for the users actions if they break their own Apple Watch? I’m not following your logic here.

8. harriska2 macrumors 6502

harriska2

They are new and on sale at almost as good a price at Best Buy right now.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---
    Totally with you. I prefer my watch to my phone and have an ipad for browsing.

9. kingax1 macrumors newbie

I bought the LTE version simply because I believe it has a bigger battery and lasts longer. Im not confirming this but the battery life on this is incredible compared to my original. I can go two days no problem. Obviously Im not using LTE service or have interest in it.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

11. Relentless Power, May 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Another contributor is the more efficient faster dual core processor in the Series 3. The problem with the first generation Apple Watch was that It was incredibly slow for the most part, which it had to work harder with third-party applications, the heart rate sensor drained it fast and the battery was adversely affected because of this. With the Much improved processor in the Series 3, the battery life isn’t taxed as hard, resulting in more longevity.

12. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

Thanks

13. Mizouse macrumors regular

Waiting to see what they do with Series 4.

Battery on my original is getting worse.

Used to be that if I unplug at 6:30AM and by the time I recharge it at 12AM, I'd have about 30% left. I'm now at 6%.

14. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

My Apple Watch Series 3 cellular cracked 2 weeks ago, and I got a replacement for it last week.

My watch didn't break all of a sudden when I hit it. The watch was fine when I put it on my nightstand at night. I woke up, and I could not type in my passcode. Only the top row would work, the rest of the touchscreen wouldn't. I unlocked my watch with my phone, and put it on thinking I'd reboot it later....

Later at work I rebooted it, and noticed a small crack for the first time. Within an hour of just wearing it the crack got larger and larger. Very noticeable by the afternoon. I called the Apple Store and that evening they took it in under Apple Care Plus. It definitely looked like I hit it on something - there were about 6 break-lines coming out from one point in the bottom center of the watch.

I've accidentally hit my Apple watch many times on walls, desks, car windows, etc. and the watch seemed fine. Worked fine. No scratches, nothing. It must have been that over time all these hits, that it weakened it, and eventually it showed a crack that went from nothing to a huge can't miss it breakage in just 6 hours.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You make some good points here. I think we all know there are so many variables that can cause the Apple Watch to break based on impact, angle, what type of surface it was hit on, etc. But after so many hits with the Apple Watch, perhaps it weakens the glass or causes underlying damage that you can’t see that eventually breaks on the next Time its struck on something. Its difficulty to pin point how the display cracks Being how many scenarios are possible.

16. CampbellSoup macrumors newbie

CampbellSoup

Been thinking the same thing for a while. Especially since you could easily just use the Watch + AirPods (or other bluetooth device with audio/mic) to make phone calls, it'd be nice to really eliminate the phone element together completely and just have a data plan for iPad and watch combo. I guess for the purpose of having a portable, high quality camera and a few other items there can be some drawbacks, but seems like a good option for some.

17. kingax1 macrumors newbie

I also meant that I think the battery in the LTE version is slightly bigger than non-lte so its a better pick if battery life is your top priority vs. Series 3 non-lte and just dont use lte. Its slightly heavier too from what I remember but still significantly lighter than those sapphire versions.

18. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

My GPS only version easily lasts a couple of days, so not sure about the bigger battery, but the LTE version, I read, has twice the memory of the GPS version.
    It does not appear the Series 3 with LTE are on sale. I see list prices. The non-cellular version is on sale, though.

19. kingax1 macrumors newbie

Wiki has the Series 3 battery sizes at 262 mAh for the 38mm non-LTE and 279 mAh for the 38mm LTE.

I have the 42mm and they list the non-LTE as "to be confirmed" and the LTE version at 352 mAh. Im guessing LTE on 42 mm LTE is also bigger but I dunno and neither can I say everything on Wiki is posted as fact especially since the numbers are lack citation.

20. HobeSoundDarryl, May 25, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    No particular love for Samsung here, but this one promoted during NBA playoffs seems pretty sharp to me...

I know that since it's not Apple, it has to be an abomination, likely to blow up in a thermonuclear meltdown killing thousands, etc. But, looking past all that, a round smart watch can look pretty smart IMO.
    I suspect that a watch- or ring... or implant;) - will eventually be the phone (too).

Personally, I use the LTE-capable Mini (with buds + microphone) as my phone now (and have for years). About $100/yr MAX for continuous LTE service, talk & text & data, and a nice big screen for apps. Plus, it keeps accurate time too!!!;)

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is no doubt about the series 3 is greatly improved with the battery life, and I think you are correct that it is slightly thicker with the battery, likely given an LTE is more demanding. Overall, the Series 3 Apple Watch is slightly thicker as well, which I believe Jeff Williams said during the fall Keynote that it is two sheets of paper thicker. Another thing about the LTE, is that you don’t have to enable it if you don’t want to, which I can easily achieve over two days a battery life without charging my watch.

22. Mick-Mac macrumors regular

Does refurbished mean they scraped off that red dot? If so I'm interested.

23. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Great watches. I use cellular 0% of the time. But still terrific piece of kit.

24. Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

Good luck. The problem with a smart watch is lack of screen real estate. Why would Apple go round and reduce the screen real estate even further? The round watch face would have to huge. I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

25. Vanilla35, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

They'll probably do what they did with the larger iPhone. They will keep making what they think is the best version, until either the competition gets closer in integration or until a new technological breakthrough comes along (which I'm not expecting).

I'm not too concerned with a the real estate potentially needing to be smaller. I think they will need to reorganize the UI, which may be too much of a pain in the ass for them to maintain 2 different versions, but I'm not sure.

Problem is apple watch is still by far the best watch, so that'll keep them from being encouraged to go round at least for the next couple years.

What do you think of the Moto gen. 2? I don't think it's huge, but it does still have a relatively spacious UI (albeit cut off sides are not ideal in apps).

Yeah I've seen a couple that I do think look particularly good. The dial on the Gear S2 feels amazing, I can't stress that enough, in terms of tactile feedback. I still wouldn't want an android wear device though. Apple watch is the way to go for software.

I think these are the most attractive one's to come out so far, with the Moto 360 gen. 2 pulling ahead by quite a bit.

[​IMG]

But that article and picture was from 2015. I'm expecting better design coming out within the next year, since I think display drivers will be shrinking a bit further, and we can finally cut down a little further on bezels.