Apple Begins Selling Refurbished iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Models

aakshey

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Funny how you can buy unlocked iPhone's in Canada directly from Apple, but then Canada never gets them on clearance or refurb deals.
That's not funny at all. That's the case in every single country in the world, with one exception, USA.
- - Post merged: - -

Gee...compared to iPhone 11 pricing why would anyone buy one of those?
Because XS is sized like a phone, not like something that's neither a phone nor a tablet...eh?

Needs at least another $200 off those prices, compared to the 11 series (inc pro) their not worth it that amount.
Nope. These are priced fairly low.

XS competes with 11 Pro. Not 11. For some people they wouldn't use an 11 if it were free, not because it's a budget design, but because it is cumbersome and large.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
Gee...compared to iPhone 11 pricing why would anyone buy one of those?
Larger screen (Xs Max), OLED, higher resolution, 3D Touch, and 2x optical zoom and a more premium feel.

Just because these phones are 1 year old now doesn't mean they are bad, they are still worth buying if you value the features mentioned above. I also got my 8 Plus after the release of the Xr and it's still an amazing phone that i will keep.

I hope that's a joke. I don't need to carry a tablet in my pocket. I'm very happy with my 11 Pro.
5.8" is still plenty of screen, i agree. But to each their own, i do like the Max version more. The 5.8" feels to small, i currently have the 8 Plus and i have no problems carrying it around all day. Next phone will definitely be a Max, i hope they do a 6.7" one. I just value the large screen and the extended battery life.

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
Other than the display, the iPhone 11 is a better phone than the XS and still less expensive than comparable storage options. And this new XS pricing is where iPhone should be priced.

Reactions: Demultiplex_Dfunc

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
the XS was such a boring release in my opinion. The X took the thunder and then the 11 Pro came out and stole it again.

XS is stuck in the middle of the two.
11 pro didn’t steal anything let’s be real here.
show me the numbers that say it sold more than the xs models

Demultiplex_Dfunc

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
Other than the display, the iPhone 11 is a better phone than the XS and still less expensive than comparable storage options. And this new XS pricing is where iPhone should be priced.
Totally agreed. I have the XS. The 2X zoom lens isn’t worth it. The wide angel and night mode far out weigh the thin bezel and OLED of XS.

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
the XS was such a boring release in my opinion. The X took the thunder and then the 11 Pro came out and stole it again.

XS is stuck in the middle of the two.
I have the Xs only because I upgraded from an older model, but it was a boring update. It made sense because it introduced the Max, while X was only 5.8 so they had something new to sell that year.
I really love the form factor though, I've owned a Plus model in the past and is not for me, so I went for the smaller Xs and will pick the smaller model this year or in 2021 for my next upgrade.

Totally agreed. I have the XS. The 2X zoom lens isn’t worth it. The wide again and night mode far out weigh the thin bezel and OLED of XS.
Night mode is great but I'm not sure I'd use the ultra wide lens more than the 2x. I like the LCD of my iPad and the 11 has a good display, but OLED is better especially with dark mode.
I'd trade my Xs for an 11 only to improve battery life

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I am glad I bought Xs for $450 and XR for $200 from Walmart on BF. Best price so far on last years phones. It didn't make sense to buy 11 or 11Pro. I will buy them for discounted prices this year on BF.

alexandr

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
it takes apple so long to add these to the refurb section that it's almost not necessary. you're getting a year and a half old iphone with too small of a discount imho.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
With a new battery, case and one year warranty, these are a no brainier for about $100 over a used "mint" one with no warranty.

Reactions: fish09276

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I decided to get an XS before I got my Pro Max. The reception was horrid. The speakers were just plain bad. I thought of trying the XS Max but I just decided I needed a device with the best battery I could get.

So I dived in on the 11 Pro Max.

While my first one was defective, this second one has been good.

msp3

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2015
With the rumored upcoming new "iPhone SE" (new iPhone parts in the old iPhone 8 body, in the spirit of the original iPhone SE and Macintosh SE), will used prices for the iPhone X/XS/XR crash? Think iPhone 6/6s prices when the original iPhone SE first came out

Coconut Bean

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
this reminds me of SS AW3 vs normal AW4, where newer tech beats out better materials.
yeah the stainless steel and oled is nice, but the nightmode camera on the 11 trumps all that, at least for me.
Which is funny because Apple could have made a pretty good nightmode for XS at least... but nooo... that didn't happen.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2016
Still speeding along on my 6s.
Honestly, the level of optimization on iOS is waaay underrated. An iPhone from 2015 (6S) is faster/more responsive than almost any Android from 2016. And the iPhone 7 can still beat many phones released today.

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Which is funny because Apple could have made a pretty good nightmode for XS at least... but nooo... that didn't happen.
honestly if you want a XS, might as well get a used X for 400 bucks. the upgrade is so minor between the two.

I had to read what you wrote several times to unencrypt it. You couldn’t just type out STAINLESS STEEL APPLE WATCH?
ha, im merely following the marketplace format, where its all abbreviated

fish09276

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
I bought because of the size, the weight and still get most of the benefits of the 11 pro. Weight and hand-size is a huge consideration. Selling my heavy wide-body 11 pro max. Even the 11 pro is too heavy. Try carrying in your shorts pocket. I don't mind charging an extra time a day. And the battery, at least, is not the weak battery of the 7/8 series. Beats paying $899 for a brand new XS. This is brand new literally.

it takes apple so long to add these to the refurb section that it's almost not necessary. you're getting a year and a half old iphone with too small of a discount imho.
You're getting a "new" phone, maybe not the newest "this years" model, but pretty damn close. 2018 wasn't that far ago, processor-wise. New exterior and new battery. So the processor has been toggled on a few hundred times. There's nothing mechanical to wear down. Seems brand new.

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
iPhone XS still has 3D Touch, so that's a win. Still LOVE my XS Max!
This. I still love 3D Touch on my iPhone 8 Plus work phone, I don’t mind that Apple removed it for the iPhone 11, as Haptic touch has expanded quite a bit, it’s just doesn’t have the response time 3D Touch has.

However, unfortunately I’m noticing more and more App developers are no longer supporting 3-D touch with certain updates, which is obvious this will continue to expand being Apple no longer uses 3D Touch.