Apple = BEST Customer Service Ever

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I don't know if its the $20 billion in the bank or the service center here in Australia specifically but I've just gone through the best customer service I've ever experienced at ANY company.

My situation was complicated, I was moving from Vancouver to Sydney and needed a notebook over here. Since I was eventually moving back to Canada I wanted a N. American model since it will mostly be used in N.A. I ordered a BTO in August and still had 2 weeks to go before my flight so the ETA was all good for shipment.

First delay: for some reason Apple put a hold on my order and didn't contact me about it. I found out when calling to cancel my Incase sleeve as I decided to go w/ a BOOQ shoulder bag instead. They didn't know why it was on hold and pushed it through immediately. Second delay: my notebook has been shipped and is on the plane ready to start its journey to Alaska and so forth. Flight is canceled. wtf! So needless to say, I hopped on a plane to Australia and left w/o it.

I looked into having it shipped from Canada to Aus and w/ insurance it was just not cost effective so the solution I arrived at w/ Apple was I'd return it to them and then I could re-order it from here & they'd pay for the shipping. They'll pay for the shipping of it to be returned and then for it to be re-ordered but they won't pay to send it here instead. Fair enough. I am assured by Apple that I can order the N.A. model (at the same Canadian price) and have it shipped to Aus I just have to call and order it through the Canadian number. Turns out thats not the case, I was given misinformation. I go back & forth between several reps & customer service people and some managers...each with their own contradicting take on this. In the end you cannot do this and I have 2 choices. I can re-order it through Canada (at the CDN rate) and have a relative ship it here...so that would put me in the same boat I was in from the beginning. The Canadian person offers to give me $50 off to help reduce the shipping costs...or I can order the Australian version, pay more and receive it sooner.

Solution: Keep in mind I did *not* ask for any money from Apple at any time but wanted to know how they could rectify this complicated situation. A customer service rep called me & was great trying his best to work everything out. Due to the economy and the usual overpricing of Australian electronics I'm fine with having to pay a bit extra so I have placed my order. I've already got the education discount like before but Apple has gone over & above that to give me an additional discount which is normally not allowed. The additional discount basically bumps me up from the 2.4 to 2.53 for free under the ed pricing. On top of that they've already sent me an 800->400 FW cable for free which I was going to have to buy now that there's no 400 port. On top of it all, when I return to Canada they're going to send me the N. American plug for the power supply so it all works out.

I was always friendly w/ the Apple people and I understand my situation was unusual w/ the move but they were always helpful and clearly wanted this to work out so I was a happy customer. I've never had a bad experience w/ Apple and always have been treated well. The only down side to this is I've been w/o a computer for 2 months now but in the end I get a brand new more powerful machine for a little more than i paid for the original Penryn AND I'm very happy w/ how I was treated by Apple. Its not the money or the cable, thats besides the point.....like I said I'd rather have had my computer from the get-go at full price. Its how they treated me and went out of their way to make this work out so I was happy with the outcome. A far cry from some companies that are hard to reach and ignore customers hoping they'll just go away. I give Apple an A+ on customer service!

2. sselemit macrumors member

You think apple has mistreated people to get 9.2 costumer satisfaction?:confused::confused:

3. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I never said anything of the sort. I don't anything about their customer satisfaction numbers. I just wanted to share a VERY positive experience I've had with them, thats all. :)

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I used to be a tech, and my first job was as an Apple warranty tech, Dell warranty tech, and Compaq warranty tech.

Apple makes the best products, bar none. Only Sony and Alien are near their level, but still not attaining Apple Inc.

Apple's customer service is hit and miss as I have seen since SJ took over the helm. He has tried to improve over the previous CEOs and has done a tiny bit better. Apple are much better than industry-worst Gateway, but not as good as Compaq and Dell on the customer service front.

My guess is that they fall in the middle from what I have gathered talking to other techs in the decade I did computer hardware related work with thousands of machines. Customer service is a very hard category to excel in and Apple isn't or never have been a leader in that category in the years I was a tech, but at the same time they never were the "dog" of customer service like Gateway and their deceptive contracts.

Apple has many, many strong points, but over the years since SJ, customer service has not been one of them, but under SJ, industrial design, OS design, and marketing have been above average. But I would say Apple Inc's industrial design is second to none and their iPod line is pure genius.

5. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Wow what a great story. Nice to hear some positive news too. Good luck and enjoy your new machine!

6. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thanks very much Atomic Ed! I just got noticed it shipped today! Wonder how long it will take, my iPod has made it to Sydney already but is stuck at the airport for some reaons. Monday would be nice (but wishful thinking I know).

Part of this deal is, because I've been waiting so long for the matter to be resolved, they said they'd do their best to get mine out the door asap. There were no promises but an attempt would be made. Not sure if anything came of it but this is *fast* as far as I'm concerned. Just keeps getting better.
    WoOt! :D

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Superlative customer service!!!

Holy crap I'm sooo happy with Apple's customer service. The MBP Classic I just bought had a few EXCTREMLY MINOR imperfections. Like the trackpad was .5mm too high on one corner and the f2-f4 keys were ever so slightly crooked. I called them up and asked what I could do, even mentioning that these were really minor issues.

A) I got an American on the phone.

B) They were really courteous, attentive, and generally on the ball.

C) They offered to accept it without a restocking fee and swap it, or give me a $100 credit.

D) They also refund the tax on the credit!

Needless to say, I ended up keeping the machine.

I've dealt with Dell and Sony but IMHO none of them come close to Apple. This will be my first Mac and.... Once you go Mac, you never go back!!

This company rocks! That's it, I'm putting the :apple: sticker on my car!!!!!!

8. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Haha, right on :D

9. James17 macrumors 6502

Good customer service, terrible quality products in my experience after 6 Penryn MBP's and 1 aluminum.

10. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I don't mean to rain on your parade but let me get this straight. You ordered a computer but they failed to process the order. Did they post the transaction on your credit card? You wanted to get the educational discount and bypass duties to AUS. How will your relative fill out the Customs form? You're happy that they offer you something free but they still haven't shipped the computer but a relative will forward it when it arrives? It sounds like you fell through the cracks and you're happy with a widget. What was the purpose of your post?

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

did you even read what he posted?

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i agree that the quality control needs some overhauling. no way a laptop of this caliber should ever leave the factory with distorted screens or any of the other defects that crop up.

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

+1

Glad you got your situation worked out :)

14. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

**** Apple

I just finished dealing with Apple Canada and my experience has been the exact opposite. I have a defective HD (ton of vibration) and the battery cover has some wobble to it. I called Apple and they instructed me to go to a reseller to have the machine repaired (no Apple store nearby). For some reason, they don't do mail exchanges in Canada.

Anyway, I was told that I may have to pay a labour cost to get my one-day old MBP repaired (WTF!?!?!?). Because it's a reseller and not an Apple store, they have to honor my warranty but only for parts. I don't own a car and this is the only Apple-certified reseller within a 50 km radius. So, I was told to take my machine there or live with the consequences... no reimbursement or anything!

This is ****ing balls. I'm never buying anything Apple again!

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You called a reseller not Apple.

16. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Wow, I didn't think it was that difficult to follow. I wasn't looking to bypass any duties...I simply wanted the North American model here in Aus...which I had originally ordered AND a customer service rep said I could re-order from here. They didn't offer me anything "free," they fixed a problem and treated me very well in the process. The computer HAS shipped and will be here within a day or 2. Apple gets ragged on by alot of threads here and I wanted to present a positive experience that I had with them. THAT is the purpose of my post.

17. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Apple online store

Why didn't you buy from the apple online store? Next time, go to the reseller to look at the products, but buy it directly from Apple. Their brand name is too valuable to have tarnished by a $100 HD.

I think Apple shouldn't even be using third party resellers as a large number of the complaints seem to be related to "third class" service.

As I said in my post earlier, After buying directly from Apple and calling them up for my issue, I even told them that the issue I was having minor, but Apple was the one who was all "hey if you don't like it for ANY reason, please send it back to us and we'll send you a new one."