Apple = BIG BROTHER

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you think anonymous ad targeting is akin to big brother, I suggest you reread 1984.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Um how is this different than when you use your browser on a site like Macrumors or any GPS system, credit cards, reward cards, signing up for anything from a company.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
*Reads article*

*Carries on with life just the same*

I don't get why people care about this stuff, Google, Apple, Facebook... whoever, I don't care.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
*Reads article*

I don't get why people care about this stuff, Google, Apple, Facebook... whoever, I don't care.

Being knowledgeable about something and doing it anyway and not caring are two different things and may be something you want to look into.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Being knowledgeable about something and doing it anyway and not caring are two different things and may be something you want to look into.
I fully understand that.

I just don't understand why anyone should care?

I know advertising, big brother, watching you, are all good buzz words, but I just don't see the actual issue.

Maybe it's just me, and I have the wrong atittude to such things.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I fully understand that.

I just don't understand why anyone should care?

I know advertising, big brother, watching you, are all good buzz words, but I just don't see the actual issue.

Maybe it's just me, and I have the wrong atittude to such things.
its not your fault, society is conditioning everyone to find no value in personal privacy. Its being done on a global scale so the channels can be set in place by which one day they will be able to fully control you.

Here are two quotes from my good friend T.J.;

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions

Peace

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm getting rid of Google! They track everything you do! Apple doesn't do that!!

oh wait...

http://www.businessinsider.com/ifa-apples-iphone-tracking-in-ios-6-2012-10
This is ignorant.

Big Brother refers to government keeping tabs on citizens without their knowledge or consent. They have no choice in the matter.

Apple (& Google for that matter) are companies whose products people choose to use and buy. It is one's choice, and he can choose to leave at any time.

P.S. I can also know it's absolute dog-**** of an article before I read it because BusinessInsider wrote it.

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
*Reads article*

My thoughts exactly. And you can turn it off. And you can block Google ads.

With personal computers and smartphones, it's not '1984'. Relevant signature for the win! I've had this same signature for a month, by the way.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Another stupid thread coming up here. Yawn...

Where is the "ignore" button on this site?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
We all know we're getting tracked all of the time.

What's bad about this is that Apple has it turned on by default, and makes it confusingly hard to turn off.

You'd expect Apple to have it turned off by default, and then ask you if you wanted to opt-in.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
We all know we're getting tracked all of the time.

What's bad about this is that Apple has it turned on by default, and makes it confusingly hard to turn off.

You'd expect Apple to have it turned off by default, and then ask you if you wanted to opt-in.
There's no rational reason to turn it off, and it helps the user experience, so they figure that the paranoid people are paranoid/thorough enough to just find the switch and disable it.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
There's no rational reason to turn it off, and it helps the user experience, so they figure that the paranoid people are paranoid/thorough enough to just find the switch and disable it.
Wait--you mean we're gonna get mad at Google for all the data they gather about us, but it's OK if Apple does it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.