Apple black Friday sales??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by colourfulclock, Oct 30, 2009.

1. colourfulclock macrumors member

colourfulclock

Hi,

I know apple often has black Friday sales, and I'm wondering when they will be this year? I know it's sometime in November;)

Will the new MacBook white unibody be discounted?
    By how much?
    Will it still be discounted if I don't get the standard version, and get the upgrade to 4gb of ram?
    Is iWork usually discounted?

Thanks!!

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

When? On Black Friday.:)

(the Friday after thanksgiving.)

No one knows what will be marked down.

3. eninety88 macrumors newbie

usually just last gen ipods and maybe shuffles and nanos will be discounted. usually not the computers

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not true. Most computers get a small (like 5%) markdown.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Thats not bad though-compensates for a lot of the sales tax.

7. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Other then refurbs, Apple is never really big on discounting their hardware more then 10% through different EPP, or student discounts.

8. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Somewhat shocked no one has mentioned the wonderful and comprehensive guide we have here.

10. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

You just did! Thanks. ;)

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Thanksgiving in the US is (by law) the last Thursday of November. So "Black Friday" is the last Friday in November.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

[​IMG]
    That's not true, it's the fourth Thursday. While it normally falls on the last Thursday, it's not always the case. For example, in 2007 it fell on the 22nd and that meant the 29th followed a week later as "the last Thursday in November." "Black Friday" is the Friday that follows Thanksgiving.

13. calimed macrumors member

Education discount

Can you use the Education discounts with the black friday deals?

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Not necessarily true, since Thanksgiving in the U.S. falls on the fourth Thursday in November, not the last. Thanksgiving could be as early as the 22nd of November*, and in that case Black Friday would be the 23rd not the 30th.

Edit: Aaah, thegoldenmackid beat me to it.

(*Which has a different importance to those of us of a certain age.)

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They don't discount further if that's what you are getting at. The Black Friday discounts are usually a whopping dollar more in savings. I am not sure what would occur if you tried to buy a computer using the Black Friday discount and then Apple Care via Student Discount, I imagine that Apple would let you save the extra dollar, but I'm not sure. Also of note is that the Black Friday deals don't apply to every model, in fact they are rather limited as opposed to the student discounts.

I'm not sure if I am supposed to understand that, but if I am, I do not.

16. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I can tell you that I can't get my corporate discount on top of the Black Friday deal.

If you don't understand it, then you are obviously not of that age. ;) I am referring to JFK's assassination; November 22 was a date as well known in its time as 9/11 is today, and with equal impact.

17. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I would say that there will be some minor discounts like 5% but that really is it, I can't see Apple having any huge discounts on any of their products, because they already have lowered their prices to be more competitive.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I didn't see the asterisk next to the date and thought that you were referring to being first. Well I am young, I did recognize the date, being interested in history/politics and living in Dallas for a decade does that to you.

And since announcing their campaign to do this, they have once again gone to being more expensive then their counterparts. They normally discount iMac's and MacBooks and some iPods and accessories, the discount is minimal, but it's the only time the open public can receive discounts on (new) Apple computers in an Apple Retail Location.

19. psingh01 macrumors 65816

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I wasn't going to use it, but then the "by law" part occurred, so I figured I'd try to lighten up the situation.

21. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Hehe, I actually looked it up after I posted it and saw I could technically be wrong....yet being the scoundrel that I am I didn't bother to change it :D

22. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Exactly, this really is the only time you will get discounts straight from Apple on their products (if you are not a student or have other discount). I would like to see what Apple does though, who knows maybe they will shock the world with a 7% discount on the top of the line 15" :eek::p

23. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

No biggie, I didn't mean to disparage your historical knowledge. I'm interested in history & politics, and I once lived in the Dallas area myself. But we digress from the topic.