Apple Black Sports Band Peeling

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jgelin, Oct 19, 2015.

1. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Hello all,
    So I've noticed that on my Apple Watch black sports band that it came with the band is peeling on the topside with the peg on it. It started slowly within 2 weeks of having the watch. It's gotten progressively worse, when I get a bit of water on my finger and rub it it seems to get back to the normal color but it will be really dry and flaky lookin in the AM after sitting for charging. Anyone else have this issue?
    Is the original band under Apple Care? I have that.

Attached Files:

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Mine is doing this too. And I don't really wear it all that often, either.

3. jgelin thread starter macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Yeah I saw in another thread after I posted this that there was others that were having the same problem. I am going to call apple to see if they can help me out because I don't really want to pay $50 to get a band of the same color again.

4. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

I had the same issue, called Apple Support, and they mailed me a new one. That one started to peel after a few weeks, and I brought it to an Apple Store in the mall. They replaced it as well.

Really annoying, so now I don't wear my black band as much.

5. jgelin thread starter macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Ugh that seems to be the consensus after reading through some more threads. Though the same happened to a guy in another thread, after the 2nd switch out they offered him the Classic Buckle and then he countered with that won't look good with the sport so:eek: they just sent him a Black SS model with the classic black buckle???!:eek: Wishing that would happen to me lmao.

6. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I had the same thing happen to me, except the long piece with the notches actually doesn't work properly anymore (slides out without pushing the release button). I then started using the shorter piece but it and the piece with the pin are both peeling so I ended up buying a blue sports band to use instead. Kind of wish I had waited a bit longer since now there is the midnight blue sports band. :p

7. jgelin thread starter macrumors 6502a

jgelin

So guys, update... I kinda just picked at it, and rubbed it with my thumb pretty hard, and it looks normal again and is totally fine... o_Oo_O

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I used the black sport as an occasional backup / when active. Peeled after wearing about a dozen times. Emailed T Cook and one of his minions called me and offered a replacement.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A couple guys at work have this problem. Apple has done the right thing and replaced them.

Yet both men are concerned since they're both on their third replacement. What happens if Apple grows tired of giving away replacements. That's the concern.

When new these bands look very nice.

10. mrwilly25 macrumors member

Been using my black sport band everyday since the day I got it, a month now, with no issues

11. AppleB macrumors 6502

AppleB

I've had my Black Sport band since August 7 still good as new.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

At first glance, it just looks like dirt to me.

13. jgelin thread starter macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Most certainly not dirt, always in the same spot no matter what.. rinse under sink, lick my finger, nothing removed it. I just took it off the watch put it face up and scrubbed the hell out of it with my thumb, it just kept rolling off then stopped. Still a little bit at the top I can't get at but I'm sure it will come loose soon enough.

14. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Mine started peeling.

Eventually got some wet cloth and rubbed very hard all the stuff away.

15. Zerog46 macrumors member

Zerog46

Weird, I have almost all the sports bands and wear my watch daily since I purchased it and haven't had any issues. I even was mine at least once a week because of sweating from workouts.