Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g7by08believeit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
CA
I did a search through the forums and didn't see anything about it, yet.
I could be wrong. oh well.

Wireless
iPhone uses quad-band GSM, the global standard for wireless communications. It also supports Cingular’s EDGE network, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR, which links to Apple’s new, remarkably compact Bluetooth headset

How pricey do you think this bad boy will be??

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

iphone-accessories-bluetooth-headset_original.jpg

It features only one button.

The price hasn't been announced, but I'm guessing $79-$149, probably $99.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
How pricey do you think this bad boy will be??

good question. i'm guessing around $99 as well like neven said. but i wouldn't be surprised if they added some fancy feature (e.g., advanced noise cancelling) and increased the price to $129 or so. unless it's an absolutely fabulous headset, i'll stick with my aliph jawbone headset.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I'm going to predict that the #1 complaint about this is going to be that it falls out of your ear. I hear that about iPod headphones a lot.

Now, to be clear, I've never had this problem, and I doubt that I'll have it with Apple's Bluetooth headset. But I'm guessing we'll hear a lot of kvetching about it.

g7by08believeit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
CA
We (kind of) got a preview of it at the iPhone Keynote. It looked pretty slick.

My prediction for #1 complaint: too painful. the iPod headphones hurt after they're in for 13 hours straight :roll:

garyklimeck

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2007
Texas
The new Jawbone will look sweet with the iPhone

As neat as the Apple headset looks, I'll stick with my Jawbone!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I may be wrong, but from the keynote address I concluded that the bluetooth headset would come with the iphone. It would make sense...due to the high price. The first iPods were priced high too and if you remember, they came with many more accesories than they do now.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Sorry, both the Bluetooth headset and the "squeeze" headphones were listed as accessories. Apple has already told their shareholders that they intend to profit from iPhone sales AND related accessory sales. Expect the Bluetooth headset to be pricier than most on the market.

I'm guessing iPhone will come with the dock, which will eventually be dropped a year or so from June.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
good question. i'm guessing around $99 as well like neven said. but i wouldn't be surprised if they added some fancy feature (e.g., advanced noise cancelling) and increased the price to $129 or so. unless it's an absolutely fabulous headset, i'll stick with my aliph jawbone headset.

$100 is pretty average for a bluetooth headset. And Apple is not average. It's definitely *not* bundled with the phone, and the price is definitely more than $100..I would also guess $130 or so.

Anyway, I think it's weird looking. How does it stay in your ear? It's a lever that isn't counterbalanced...And with one button I guess that means there's no volume control.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Anyway, I think it's weird looking. How does it stay in your ear? It's a lever that isn't counterbalanced...And with one button I guess that means there's no volume control.

Yeah, I don't understand this design either... It either needs a rubber fitting to use the outer canal to hold onto, or it needs some kind of wrap-around. I guess if it were incredibly light, and it had a foam cover on it like an iPod standard earphone, then it might work, but it wouldn't stay very well.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Haven't heard anything about battery life, either. Or how it affects the iPhone's battery life.

Will I be able to play music through it? Can I get two and listen in stereo? :D

June 11 can't come soon enough.

And I predict $149, minimum.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Haven't heard anything about battery life, either. Or how it affects the iPhone's battery life.

I doubt that it will cost more than $100. Headsets have really come down in price, and despite how awesome the Apple one is sure to be, will people really pay 3 times more (assuming it's $149)?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I doubt that it will cost more than $100. Headsets have really come down in price, and despite how awesome the Apple one is sure to be, will people really pay 3 times more (assuming it's $149)?

Also, they won't need to charge anywhere near that to make a very healthy margin (e.g. 40-50%).

halo14

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2007

Does anyone know if you can listen to music through them?

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Here's one for everyone to ponder: How the hell do you charge the darn thing? I don't see a mini-USB port like on my motorola headset.

Interesting question. I'm stumped - any answer I come up with would make it a horribly clumsy design (you "unscrew" the earbud?)

MacGeek Pro

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007
Lincoln, NE
Interesting question. I'm stumped - any answer I come up with would make it a horribly clumsy design (you "unscrew" the earbud?)

Maybe it uses magnetic induction to charge, like my sonicare toothbrush. The charge stand for the toothbrush doesn't have metal contacts, and neither does the toothbrush itself. But get the toothbrush anywhere within a half-inch of the charging stand and the little light comes on.

Pretty cool stuff. I have seen similar prospects for mobile devices at SplashPower.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i never gave it much thought already having a headset i love to pieces, but wtf is up with the no volume control and related buttons?

I actually like leaving my phone in my purse and answering/ending calls with only my headset, which also has buttons for volume control.

or is this another apple thing where they expect people to pay double for a minimalist design with half the features of everything else on the market...

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I may be wrong, but from the keynote address I concluded that the bluetooth headset would come with the iphone. It would make sense...due to the high price. The first iPods were priced high too and if you remember, they came with many more accesories than they do now.

I doubt the Bluetooth headset will be included. The earbuds for the iPhone come with an in-line, dangling microphone like wired cellphone earpieces so you can use the phone features with your earbuds still in.

And don't forget that you can't listen to music, at least in stereo, if you have the one-ear, Bluetooth headset on.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Maybe it uses magnetic induction to charge, like my sonicare toothbrush. The charge stand for the toothbrush doesn't have metal contacts, and neither does the toothbrush itself. But get the toothbrush anywhere within a half-inch of the charging stand and the little light comes on.

It looks like it has contact points on the bottom...

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Anyone think this will work with phones other than the iPhone? I've been wanting to get a bluetooth headset but they're all so clunky and ugly looking.

Also, I hate the little loop you have to hook around your ear on all the ones I've seen, so this in-ear design really excites me.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London

i took it that the iphone comes with the white ipod ear phones with the built in mic that he demoed and this is an accessory

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.