Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I recently bought a new mbp with an apple wireless keyboard, a kensington wireless mouse, and the new dell 24" flat-panel. i love this setup when it works.

Problems:
1) when not traveling, i usually start the laptop, shut the lid and work with the dell display alone. shutting the lid puts the mbp to sleep, and usually moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard is successful in waking it. For a couple of weeks , i was using only the kensington mouse (no external display, keyboard). The mouse-only worked well, there were no issues with bluetooth pairing of the mouse-mbp, and the connection was always stable for the life of the session. This week i put in the display and the keyboard in the mix. Pairing the keyboard is a pain! I have gone through the motions of setting it up from the bluetooth menu - wasn't as easily detected as the mouse, but quite alright. However subsequent times when i booted the mbp, the keyboard pairing was unreliable. The keyboard connection intermittently went off. It seemed to affect the mouse connection too, as the mouse also intermittently dropped. I usually get out of this mess by pressing the keyboard power button a few times. Eventually the things get their act together and everything works smoothly for the remainder of the session. However, it is quite annoying.

2) Evidently Apple didn't intend the wireless keyboard to work with Windows. Is this true? I have a bootcamp/windows partition that i also run under vmware/fusion. I was not successful in setting up the keyboard under windows. Could this be windows, apple/keyboard or my setup issue?

Thanks,
Mihir

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I have had my bluetooth keyboard for about 9 months now and never have any problems, when I put my laptop on the desk by the time the screen is on the keyboard has connected without any issues.

Can't give you any information on bootcamp because I never use this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.