Apple bluetooth magic mouse and keyboard affecting my internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by super tomtendo, Jan 19, 2011.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I got a magic mouse and an apple bluetooth keyboard and it seems lately they are affecting my performance of my AirPort extreme when I'm at my desk using them.

If I leave my desk and go somewhere else in the house my Internet works as it should or if I turn off my keyboard/mouse it also seems to go back to normal.

Also, since I got these it seems when I awake from sleep on my MBA is slow to establish Internet. It says I am connected in the top menu bar (full bars), but if I try to immediately connect to adium or safari, it will take a while to get an establishment.

Any answers?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your keyboard and mouse are bluetooth. Your wireless network is WiFi. Two different animals. One has nothing to do with the other.

3. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

I would recommend two things, assuming you can do them on your hardware:

First, configure your AirPort Extreme to run dual band (b/g on one band and a/n on the other). Also, enable 5Ghz n. The 2.4Ghz n is susceptible to a lot of interference from other appliances.

Next, connect computers using 5Ghz n and connect iOS devices using the wireless g band. This should improve connection issues considerably.

4. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Sorry, but thats wrong. BT uses 2.4ghz technology.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

BT uses 2.4 GHz frequency; it doesn't use the same hardware or software as wi-fi.

In any event, there are only two possible ways that BT could be interfering - one is if, somehow, BT was using the same hardware and software as your wi-fi - in which case the amount of "bandwidth" the BT devices would use would be miniscule, and hardly noticeable, relative to network traffic; the other is if, somehow, BT does interfere somehow with wi-fi connectivity - in which case, nobody would ever be able to use BT devices near a wireless network.

Either way, I don't think your BT devices are the culprit.