Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard...Does it get dirty or scratched?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ethics101, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ethics101, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

ethics101 macrumors regular

I just bought the Apple Wireless Keyboard today to use with my iPad when it finally comes. I'm going to be taking it with me to class and putting it in my backpack. Does this keyboard get scratched easily? Do the keys get browned and dirty?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you take care of it, it stays good. I've had my current one for 3 years and it still looks new, after 10-15 hours of daily use.

3. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response! Is the alluminum pretty durable or will it most likely get scratched in a backpack? Should I get a cover?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If metal objects are allowed to rub against it, it could scratch. Aluminum is a fairly soft metal. If it's in there loose, just wrap a cloth around it.

5. ethics101 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok thanks. I think it should be fine in my backpack.

6. jasweb macrumors newbie

I keep mine in the Apple supplied "accesory case" i.e. the minimalist apple box it came in.

It does not take up much more space than the keyboard and I know it will make it last (I can also use the box to lift my MBP and improve airflow and decrease temps).

Sure a "raised" MBP is also more ergonomic to type on ;)

7. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Mines filthy , but then I use it without washing my hands before use .

But seriously , it get as dirty as any keyboard does with use , made worse by the fact it's White keys rather than the "usual" PC black keys.

8. Ommid macrumors 6502

What do you do with your hands???

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't think we really NEED to know that information.

10. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I agree that the keyboards to show dirt... the price we pay for pretty white keys I guess. But they're really really easy to clean.

If you have a bluetooth model, remove the batteries first. If you have a USB model, unplug it. Take the rough side of a washcloth or terrycloth towel, dampen slightly (NOT SOPING WET!) and scrub it down. Let it dry for an hour or so, and you'll have a brand new keyboard.

I think the "chicklet" keyboards are a lot easier to clean than keyboards with tall keys.