Apple BootCamp AMD Drivers Updated

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zer0c00L, Apr 27, 2014.

1. zer0c00L macrumors newbie

Apple Boot Camp Windows 7/8/8.1 Software Graphics Drivers
    Supported Systems:
    iMac
    iMac (2007+)
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Pro (2011+)
    Mac Pro
    Mac Pro (2007+)

If you have any of the above, AMD released new drivers 2 weeks ago! Before this, the latest drivers were from 2011! I just randomly checked the site again hoping there would be in update and there was! I had done this dozens of times over the years since 2011 and was SHOCKED to see an update.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

I finally have drivers for my 2011 MacBook Pro AMD 6750m graphics card!
    Its a miracle! You know how hard it is to game with 3 year old drivers? I don't anymore!
    Thank you AMD!
    Apple had long since abandoned me with no new graphics driver update since the original in Feb 2011 for my MacBook Pro.

I hope this makes some of you guys happy as happy as it did me :D

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

All AMD Catalyst mobility drivers are and have been compatible with with 2011 MacBook Pro models so equipped. I've been using their reference drivers on my machine since I bought it almost 2 years ago.

3. Horvo macrumors newbie

How do I do it?

It's been so long since I've done this that I can't remember. After I've downloaded the new drivers, how do I install them exactly? thanks

4. zer0c00L thread starter macrumors newbie

Catalyst , yes. But you could not install a new graphics driver, at least not officially. If you downloaded and tried to install generic 6XXXm video drivers, the install would always stop because it would say that the driver was incompatible.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Not true. After installing Apple's software, I uninstalled those GPU drivers and then ran the set I downloaded from AMD. Every single set has worked every single time. Now performance was not always good from one driver revision to another, but compatibility was never an issue.

6. zer0c00L thread starter macrumors newbie

That's funny because AMD clearly state that they do not support notebooks with switchable graphics.
    Only people that I have come across that successfully installed updated drivers were people that used modified drivers. Never directly from AMDs site.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

1) Actually, AMD doesn't say that, and they've not said it since they released Enduro (their version of NVIDIA Optimus) a while back.

2) Apple machines do not support graphic switching when running Windows. The AMD/discreet GPU is active at all times.

8. zer0c00L thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so they USED to say that, I had not kept up since for years, I could not install new drivers.
    I tried the new mobile drivers and they did install. You are correct.

However, what installs however is a generic driver for the card series that I have.
    I ran the game I am currently going through, (Alice:Madness Returns) and it ran much worse than with the official AMD bootcamp supported drivers that I linked to above.
    Frame rate dropped and it stuttered like crazy. I have now switched back to the previous driver update.

So, for anyone out there that wants official card drivers, non generic, go ahead and use the AMD Bootcamp drivers. Im sure you can use generic drivers, but for gaming on my Macbook Pro with the 6750m, it ran worse with the generic drivers.