Apple brand 30 pin to lightening doesnt play analog

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tdelker, Sep 1, 2013.

1. tdelker macrumors newbie

I purchased an apple brand 30 pin to lightening adapter off amazon. Came in the apple box. When I plug it in to my 30 pin connector to my car it doesn't play sound over the radio, but rather plays from the internal iphone speakers. Plugging and unplugging doesn't change where the sound is coming from. The phone does start to charge. My nano with 30 pin plays just fine over the car.

Does the iphone 5 automatically recognize that it is hooked up to a connector with external sound? Is there a way to tell it that it is connected? I am looking for line level out from the 30 pin (the 30 pin cable is a PAC cable that taps the line level out to the stereo).

Any help much appreciated.

Tom

2. joec1101 macrumors 6502

What kind of car is it? The adapter works for me in a 2009 BMW with iDrive.

Also, are you *sure* it's an authentic Apple adapter? There are a lot of counterfeit items out there that may not work properly.

And make sure the adapter is seated all the way - mine has to be pushed tightly into the BMW Y-cable for both sides to click into place.

3. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

It should work, maybe it's faulty of maybe its fake.

That said I did need to reboot my iPhone 5 before it worked with my cars head unit.

4. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

How much did you pay for this? It could possibly be a knock-off.

5. itjw macrumors 65816

Fakes come in Apple boxes and behave as you describe.

Take it to Apple. They will confirm it's fake, tell you they're sorry for your loss, and advise you talk to the seller.

OR, skip that, because based on what you paid (it was low right?) I suspect you may already know it's fake, and take it straight to the seller.

Problem solved. The real Apple adapters don't behave oddly. In all honesty I don't think I have EVER heard of one case where it wasn't because of a fake adapter/cable/plug. They make them LOOK real, but behaving real is an entirely different animal...

Return it, buy genuine, and enjoy the tunes!

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No problems here using authentic lightning to 30 pin adapters (purchased directly from Apple) with multiple PAC adapters. As stated above, either yours is defective or fake.

"Off Amazon" doesn't mean anything as Amazon does sell products from other sellers. "Came in the Apple box" doesn't mean anything either as there are plenty of KIRF's that come in Apple (or "Apple") boxes, as mentioned above.