Apple Branded SSD for rMPB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGO, Sep 10, 2012.

1. JGO macrumors member

Long story short: I am in a location where the only rMPB I can economically buy is the 2,3 GHz with a 256 GB SSD. Unfortunately, that is not enough space for me in the long term.

However, I saw this Mac parts store advertising Apple SSDs for the rMBP.

I emailed them to ask if these SSDs are, in fact, new products. Of course they said "yes." Has anyone had experience with this business?

ps - yes, I know it seems ridiculous to spend an extra $700 just to swap out a 256GB for a 512GB, but the only option I have to buy the 512GB outright is in local currency which would give me the 512GB for about $100 more than buying the 512GB from a parts dealer.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. JGO thread starter macrumors member

I don't care for sandforce controllers.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why? Because you had issues with one ssd that had it? lol. Sandforce is good.

I dont even understand how you cannot afford the 512GB SSD from Apple for $100 less than the one you posted.

5. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Sandforce might be good (though I am partial to Intel and Crucial (with marvell controller), but I want something that doesn't take a performance hit on non-compressible data - Filevault, for example.

I can well understand that my circumstance doesn't make sense to most people. However, consider that I have two options - one of them costs $100 more and leaves me with only the 512 GB ssd, the second choice would give me the 512GB ssd, a back up 256GB, and a $100 to spend on a laptop bag.

I had hoped to find out if anyone had experience doing business with the company I linked to.

6. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Yea, a 256gb Crucial M4 costs $165 on Amazon, and Apple wants $500 for the upgrade.

In a year, putting a 1TB SSD in a Retina Macbook Pro probably won't even cost more than that.

7. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Apple sources the rMBP SSDs from two manufacturers Toshiba and Samsung. The Toshiba SSDs use a Sandforce controller. The other SSD uses a Samsung controller.

8. JGO thread starter macrumors member

I don't claim to know the details of all parts in the Apple supply chain - which can, of course, change upon Apple's will. While it is possible that some may come with the Toshiba & Sandforce controller, to date the reliable reports that I have read indicate otherwise.

Anandtech: "My Retina MacBook Pro was the upgraded model with a 512GB SSD, featuring Samsung’s PM830 controller."

Even if Apple has used some Toshiba with Sandforce I still have a personal preference to avoid Sandforce.