Apple Branded SSD for rMPB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGO, Sep 10, 2012.

1. JGO macrumors member

Feb 24, 2009
    Long story short: I am in a location where the only rMPB I can economically buy is the 2,3 GHz with a 256 GB SSD. Unfortunately, that is not enough space for me in the long term.

However, I saw this Mac parts store advertising Apple SSDs for the rMBP.

I emailed them to ask if these SSDs are, in fact, new products. Of course they said "yes." Has anyone had experience with this business?

ps - yes, I know it seems ridiculous to spend an extra $700 just to swap out a 256GB for a 512GB, but the only option I have to buy the 512GB outright is in local currency which would give me the 512GB for about $100 more than buying the 512GB from a parts dealer.
  2. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
  3. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Feb 24, 2009
    I don't care for sandforce controllers.
  4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Why? Because you had issues with one ssd that had it? lol. Sandforce is good.

I dont even understand how you cannot afford the 512GB SSD from Apple for $100 less than the one you posted.
  5. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Feb 24, 2009
    Sandforce might be good (though I am partial to Intel and Crucial (with marvell controller), but I want something that doesn't take a performance hit on non-compressible data - Filevault, for example.

I can well understand that my circumstance doesn't make sense to most people. However, consider that I have two options - one of them costs $100 more and leaves me with only the 512 GB ssd, the second choice would give me the 512GB ssd, a back up 256GB, and a $100 to spend on a laptop bag.

I had hoped to find out if anyone had experience doing business with the company I linked to.
  6. mzjin macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2011
    Yea, a 256gb Crucial M4 costs $165 on Amazon, and Apple wants $500 for the upgrade.

In a year, putting a 1TB SSD in a Retina Macbook Pro probably won't even cost more than that.
  7. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

Feb 5, 2008
    Apple sources the rMBP SSDs from two manufacturers Toshiba and Samsung. The Toshiba SSDs use a Sandforce controller. The other SSD uses a Samsung controller.
  8. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Feb 24, 2009
    I don't claim to know the details of all parts in the Apple supply chain - which can, of course, change upon Apple's will. While it is possible that some may come with the Toshiba & Sandforce controller, to date the reliable reports that I have read indicate otherwise.

Anandtech: "My Retina MacBook Pro was the upgraded model with a 512GB SSD, featuring Samsung’s PM830 controller."

Even if Apple has used some Toshiba with Sandforce I still have a personal preference to avoid Sandforce.