Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it has started construction of its new $1 billion, 133-acre campus in Austin, Texas as part of a commitment it made last year.

apple-austin-new-campus-800x420.jpeg

Apple says the campus will initially house 5,000 employees, with the capacity to grow to 15,000, and is expected to open in 2022.

In partnership with Austin-based Bartlett Tree Experts, Apple said it will plant thousands of trees spanning over 20 varieties native to Texas on the campus. Apple says landscaping will cover over 60 percent of the property, including a 50-acre nature and wildlife preserve that will be open to the public.

The new campus in Austin, Texas is part of Apple's commitment to increase its investment in manufacturing, engineering, and other jobs across the United States. Apple says it is on track to contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy between 2018 and 2023 and hire an additional 20,000 employees over that time.

Apple says it has grown to approximately 7,000 employees in Austin, more than a 50 percent increase in the past five years.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
With the construction of our new campus in Austin now underway, Apple is deepening our close bond with the city and the talented and diverse workforce that calls it home. Responsible for 2.4 million American jobs and counting, Apple is eager to write our next chapter here and to keep contributing to America's innovation story.
Cook is touring Apple's Austin operations with U.S. President Donald Trump today.

Apple is also continuing its expansion in Boulder, Culver City, New York, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Seattle.

Article Link: Apple Breaks Ground on New $1 Billion Campus in Austin, Texas, Expected to Open in 2022

Last edited:

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
This will just make Austin more marvelous than it already is! I love my city.

Btw, many people here is complaining about the new Apple Campus driving home and renting prices up even more, I guess they fail to see how much beneficial this is. The housing market is tight and expensive here, tho.

It’s a very annoying and I can’t stand the real estate system in America l

Just people you got a lot of people working for a great company doesn’t mean they are being paid six figures

All of these developers are in cahoots and should be tried and shot!

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
I'm sure this will be great for Austin traffic :p

(Jokes aside, this is a good thing, but Austin really does need to figure out the traffic problem)

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It looks like there are lots of solar panels on the buildings, so I assume this complex will once again be powered by 100% renewable energy. After the mothership, this design seems pretty staid, a fairly typical industrial park (albeit with lots of glass). I do like the public nature park; that's a nice touch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sure this will be great for Austin traffic :p

(Jokes aside, this is a good thing, but Austin really does need to figure out the traffic problem)
Is it as bad as Minneapolis traffic where you can have bumper to bumper traffic on freeways at 1pm on a Sunday afternoon? :p

It looks like there are lots of solar panels on the buildings, so I assume this complex will once again be powered by 100% renewable energy. After the mothership, this design seems pretty staid, a fairly typical industrial park (albeit with lots of glass). I do like the public nature park; that's a nice touch
it looks really boring.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
It’s a very annoying and I can’t stand the real estate system in America l

Just people you got a lot of people working for a great company doesn’t mean they are being paid six figures

All of these developers are in cahoots and should be tried and shot!

Maybe you would prefer the real estate system in some place like London. Even the poorest families there have luxurious estates that they own outright.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
This is vast. Have to wonder exactly what work stuffs they will be doing in it that they can't do already at their other bases.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
The campus looks very nice and other than planting plenty of trees, what about installation of solar panels?

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
This will just make Austin more marvelous than it already is! I love my city.

Btw, many people here is complaining about the new Apple Campus driving home and renting prices up even more, I guess they fail to see how much beneficial this is. The housing market is tight and expensive here, tho.
I'd love to live in Austin, but we definitely missed our chance on moving there. Seriously looked about 8 years ago when housing prices were still fairly reasonable and comparable to what they are here in KC. Now, there is no way we could even sniff Austin proper. Only way to live there semi affordably now is by living in a northern 'burb like Cedar Park, Pfluggervile, Round Rock or way down south in the San Marcos/Kyle area.

Reactions: GeoStructural

bobtem

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
This gets way off the subject of Apple products, but why such an isolated campus with institutional style architecture? Why not use a variety of materials and styles, and integrate the campus with independent shopping, food establishments, other retail, and perhaps residential? Make it a livable city that is alive and thriving beyond the corporation that is the majority tenant. Who wants to go to a glorified prison for 40 hours a week?

Reactions: Naaaaak

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I went to a conference in Austin. For those who haven't been there, their official motto/slogan is "Austin Weird." On the main strip downtown where our conference was, there was definitely a lot of "weird" and homeless and people asking for money. My biggest problem with it, though, was that it was extremely hot/humid.

Sorry to get off-topic, but...are there any other "new silicon valley" locations that have a nice year-round climate and where the housing isn't extremely expensive? I know that one of the bigger companies near me (in CT) has some larger locations in Raleigh, NC and Chattanooga, TN, which seem like they could be decent locations climate-wise and cost-of-living-wise, but I'm not sure how big the tech industry is (the company I alluded to is not a "tech company"...they're in the healthcare field). My wife has been to Colorado and loved the area, but I haven't visited yet. Again, I'm not sure what the tech industry is like there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.