Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all..

How can Apple can get away with breaking their own apps ? and w all just accept it ?

Not ranting about Apple in general here, but i can understand it happning with iPhoto version 9, and Apple quickly patched it within 24 hours, now they done the same with iBooks.

This would be the equivalent of a user buys a Dell PC and no one can open IE.

MS doesn't do any of this, and they have a larger market share, need to support third part manufactures and all, and its strange how it all still works, out of the box. Yet, Apple makes both hardware/software, small market share, and they can stuff up the OS any way they like... Users will complain, but Apple doesn't really care... They fix what they want...

Just curious, there is a patten, and wondering why Apple can easily do with in a smaller market..... (maybe Apple thinks no one will notice ?? )

You'd have to be blind not to notice this.

Even though we complain, we still use, because software does just work, however that only happens if Apple doesn't break it.... so its not always sunshine and rainbows.

There's a clear view here, or am I'm the only one here that notice's Apple's mis-haps ? and re-visits the same thing time and time again, while we users can only keep saying "everything has bugs" ?

I like Apple, as much as the next person, but if Microsoft did this. then they'd be an huge out-cry as totally unacceptable... Imagine if all PC's shipped with IE couldn't open... MS fixes it in an update, but then breaks it again later on..

This is exactly what Apple is doing to different apps. While I know they rely on developers to test this, i would actually blame Apple for not testing these themselves....

Its their OS after all, and shouldn't be relying on developers 100%

For some reason Apple support also has issues when running OS X in a VM.... Even though the user knows its quicker and easier in a VM to reproduce such issues, rather than reinstalling OS X on your main machine, support doesn't like that....

For some reason, i'll never understand why they don't.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Microsoft doesn't break their own programs? They're breaking older versions of Skype within a few days. Windows 8 broke some installations of Office 2007. Windows 7 broke Communicator 2005 until a hotfix was released. Windows Vista broke Outlook 2003 Exchange support until a fix was released. Companies breaking their products when new ones are released is nothing new. Every company does it, Google, Apple, Intell, HP, Dell, Microsoft, IBM...

Your analogy with Dell is a rather poor one. Dell doesn't make the operating system, only the hardware. A better example using Dell would be that Vista broke Dell's QuickSet application that was/is used on laptops to set things like the backlight and caps lock LED. It took Dell about two months since Vista's release to have a working version posted to their site. Even then, most end users didn't update to it because Dell didn't have an update utility for it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I'm not saying no other company does the same thing..

My issue is that its unacceptable doing it on a fresh install new machine. (fixes, or no fixes), because Apple just breaks it not once, but twice....or maybe more

As stated. no PC would be sold with a non-working version of IE . But Apple can do it...

Why ?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
IE and Safari are core parts of the OS and are updated with the OS itself. The problem programs are non-core OS programs and 2nd/3rd party programs. A better example of a web browser not working on a fresh installation would be Chrome or Mozilla not working. No Mac is sold without a working version of Safari. But Dell laptops can be sold without a working version of QuickSet to change the volume and backlight. Resulting in a laptop with its volume stuck set at 0% and brightness stuck set at 100%. My examples were examples of breakages within a fresh installation, except for the Skype example. There are likely many more that I'm missing because they were fixed quickly, were localized, didn't happen to me on a reproducible basis, or didn't receive enough publicity.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm not saying no other company does the same thing..

My issue is that its unacceptable doing it on a fresh install new machine. (fixes, or no fixes), because Apple just breaks it not once, but twice....or maybe more

As stated. no PC would be sold with a non-working version of IE . But Apple can do it...

Why ?

Your rant is vague. I have no idea which apps you think Apple is breaking.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
It's not specific to any version really, just as Apple as an industry,

Just a "generic" error by user deleted files....

ok, not by Apple, but this indicates a problem... 10.9.3 in my case.

You would think Apple could have old a more "better" way of saying "it can't open ibooks" or better understanding of not sharing files that users have access too..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 5.37.05 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 5.37.05 pm.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi all..

How can Apple can get away with breaking their own apps ? and w all just accept it ?

Who says people except it? People rant and complain about this stuff all the time.

Bugs happen, its not like Apple sets out to screw the consumer by breaking an app. a bug creeps into the the app that went unnoticed and now you (we) have to wait for apple to fix it. If its a huge omission, it will get addressed fairly quickly. Some lower level bugs won't get addressed to later.

This occurs with every software developer, the larger the developer, the slower the response only because they have more irons in the fire.

The best way to ensure apple is aware of the problem in the first place is to report it
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I agree that Apple is kind of bad at supporting their software and keeping compatibility. Microsoft seem to do these two things much better.

Its often best to hold off upgrading OS until you know everything is going to work.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

You would think Apple could have old a more "better" way of saying "it can't open ibooks" or better understanding of not sharing files that users have access too..

So, you deleted some unknown files, and now your applications don't launch?
That "Report..." button in the dialog does provide further information.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
It's not specific to any version really, just as Apple as an industry,

From what I can understand from this, you're blaming Apple for files you deleted (seemingly with no knowledge of why you were doing so) that are now causing an Apple application to stop opening? No wonder they started hiding the Library folder...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. That's why their software isn't as good as Microsoft's.

Are people still saying that? Is Apple saying that? Serious question because Apple sure seems to be developing software as though they're both a hardware and software company.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Are people still saying that? Is Apple saying that? Serious question because Apple sure seems to be developing software as though they're both a hardware and software company.

I'm still saying that. If you'd like proof, there's a wonderful KB article about mail.app not receiving email, and Apple's suggested fix is to Close and restart the program. This has been an issue since Mavericks was released, 251 days ago!

Now I'm not saying that all software has to be perfect and bug free, but if a software company can't write an email client that can receive emails, and is aware that it's busted, and doesn't bother to fix it for the better part of a year and over 3 updates, I wouldn't call them a competent software company.

I guess I shouldn't have said that they weren't a software company - they are, and they write tons of software. What I should have said was that they aren't very good at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.