Apple Bringing In-App Purchases to Apple Watch in watchOS 6.2

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the first beta of an upcoming watchOS 6.2 update to developers, and the update includes support for in-app purchases through the Apple Watch App Store.

Apple is asking developers to begin getting their watchOS apps ready for in-app purchases for when watchOS 6.2 is released.

The watchOS App Store was added in the watchOS 6 update, and allows Apple Watch owners to purchase Apple Watch apps right on their wrists without the need for an iPhone.

With the update in watchOS 6.2, developers will be able to create watchOS apps that feature premium content, downloadable goods, subscriptions, and more.

Article Link: Apple Bringing In-App Purchases to Apple Watch in watchOS 6.2

Graphikos

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Potential income brings developers, developers bring more watch apps. It seems like a win. Also just like the iPhone weaned off of the iTunes dependency the Apple Watch is weaning off the iPhone dependency to act as a standalone device. A cumbersome standalone device...

Last edited:
Reactions: SDJim

katbel

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2009
Worst idea ever! I love the watch but cannot buy it from there: absurdo_O

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
As someone with a Series 3 AW, I can’t stand any apps on my watch. All too slow. If there was some meaningful or killer app that could entice me to pay $400 to upgrade, I would. But it’s just a notification device to me.

I still miss my Pebble smartwatch, with four physical buttons. With Apple Watch, you have to lift your wrist, use the other hand and monitor with your eyes to do anything. With my Pebble I could change volume or tracks without looking or even moving my wearing wrist. That was convenience. I do hope the glasses are hands free with eye tracking somehow.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
One more reason not to purchase this over priced "watch"
What’s considered ‘overpriced’ to you is not reflective to everybody else’s viewpoint.(I also generally find those who say it’s ‘overpriced’, can’t afford the Apple Watch to begin with, but that’s a different topic.) The watch is a multi tool that does a lot of things, this specific feature may not be noticeable by everyone, but it still shows the minor advancements for watchOS, but it certainly doesn’t classify the Watch as ‘overpriced’ by an means.

CarlJ

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Eventually iPhone will cease to exist and we'll have wearables with iGlasses. The full app store model needs to be available for that. Today it seems unnecessary but as the world moves from phones to wearables to implants everything else has to move too. This is one step.
Coming in a while "blink to approve purchase". Followed by, a few decades later, after they work out the subdermal "wearables" with neural connections, "think to approve purchase".

(Peter F. Hamilton's The Naked God, has some detailed description of the purchase and use of such neural implants, which sound absolutely lovely as long as you make really sure they haven't been tampered with before installation - else you may become someone else's remote-controllable puppet.)

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
I hope the release notes partition this into a section labeled “New Anti-features”.
- - Post merged: - -

Potential income brings developers, developers bring more watch apps. It seems like a win.
Potential in app income brings developers of subscription apps. Not a win. Not even a push.

Reactions: Morgenland

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
This could be a good thing. We may start to see some Freemium offerings that give the cheapskates like you and me new options we wouldn't have had otherwise, without having to pay for the "full" app content.
i would rather pay full price than deal with subscriptions on my wrist.

Reactions: xpxp2002

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Subscriptions will make it sustainable to develop really compelling and innovative apps for Apple Watch. This is a big win for both consumers and developers.

• Disagree
Reactions: V_Man and xpxp2002

schlitzz

macrumors member
Eventually iPhone will cease to exist and we'll have wearables with iGlasses. The full app store model needs to be available for that. Today it seems unnecessary but as the world moves from phones to wearables to implants everything else has to move too. This is one step.
It's NOT going to be glasses. It's going to be a thong. Just let your mind run wild with that, AppleWear.

lokomoto

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
I don't understand where is Apple going with this. Do they really think that AW is so good at independent device, or do they plan to change it (eyePhone) in a way we don't know about yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.