Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In watchOS 8, Apple has redesigned the Photos watch face on Apple Watch, adding a special layout that generates a more depth-like, layered look when viewing Portrait Mode pictures.

watch-face-watchos8.jpeg

When viewing photos shot in Portrait Mode on iPhone, the new Photos watch face can generate an animated three-dimensional effect, activated by turning the Digital Crown on Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Bringing New Portrait Mode Photo Watch Face to watchOS 8

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Almost feels like they mailed this entire presentation in. Completely unexciting. For watchOS, they need more and better watch faces. An option to temporarily lock digital crown on interactive watch faces would help a lot for those who wear on right arm with crown to the fingers.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
Almost feels like they mailed this entire presentation in. Completely unexciting. For watchOS, they need more and better watch faces. An option to temporarily lock digital crown on interactive watch faces would help a lot for those who wear on right arm with crown to the fingers.
they will be keeping announcements of new watch faces for the announcement of AW7 - since it might actually get a bigger screen, there won't be backwards compatibility ...

Reactions: the future

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Ha! I just said the same in another thread!

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
8 watchOS versions and we *still* don’t have a Weather watch face.

Seriously, it makes so much sense. They already have the concept of the beautiful weather renders in the Weather app on iPhone. Why can’t I get an animated watch face that shows the current weather when I raise my wrist?

Rychiar

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
interesting statement that the photo watch face is the most popular one - how do they know that?
Personally, I have tested it when I got my 1st AW in 2015 but never used it ...
It’s the only watch face that remotely lets you make your own watch face. I design faces on my Mac and use them through that. Just wish ya could move the tome
Around more than 2 places and change fonts along with it

Reactions: jz0309

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
8 watchOS versions and we *still* don’t have a Weather watch face.

Seriously, it makes so much sense. They already have the concept of the beautiful weather renders in the Weather app on iPhone. Why can’t I get an animated watch face that shows the current weather when I raise my wrist?
You can't just raise your face?

Stiksi

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
FINALLY some options for digital watch faces! The photos face with the new typography options will open up a huge field of opportunities for custom watch face designers!

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
You can't just raise your face?
I get your trying to make a cheeky comment, but I’ve heard it before.

Technically we don’t need weather apps at all, since we can all just look out the window or go outside right?

And that solar watch face is pointless since I can just raise my face and see the position of the sun.

We have watch faces that change image depending on the time of day, so why not have a watch face that changes depending on the current weather conditions?

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.