Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

transporter_app_icon-250x250.jpg
Apple today announced that it has launched a new version of its Transporter app for developers on the Mac App Store. Transporter, which was previously available as a command-line tool, now lets developers drag and drop binaries for quick upload to App Store Connect and easily view details like progress, warnings, errors, and delivery history.
Transporter is the simple and easy way to deliver content to Apple. Easily send apps, music, movies, TV shows, or books for distribution on the App Store, Apple Music, Apple TV app, Apple Books, or iTunes Store.

- Simply drag and drop your content into Transporter to get started.
- Validate and upload multiple files simultaneously for fast delivery.
- View delivery progress, including validation warnings, errors, and delivery logs, so you can
quickly fix any issues.
- See a history of past deliveries, including date and time.

An App Store Connect, iTunes Connect, or encoding house account is required.
transporter_mac_app.jpg

Language support for Transporter includes Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish.

Article Link: Apple Brings Its 'Transporter' App for Developers to the Mac App Store

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Nice. Publishing apps on Apple's platforms has always been a hassle, but they've been improving the process steadily.

Last edited:

JilzVT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm not a fan of these HTML-based applications that Apple is creating now. I'm a web developer myself, but I don't think that "desktop" apps should be created using HTML. It's a cheater's way to the finish line.
I'm pretty sure it's a Java app.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's a Java app.

That's even worse IMO, at least as far as system efficiency is concerned. Revving up the old Java engine for an app like this is like driving a trim nail with a sledgehammer.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I'm not a fan of these HTML-based applications that Apple is creating now. I'm a web developer myself, but I don't think that "desktop" apps should be created using HTML. It's a cheater's way to the finish line.
Well, they should make the native way easier. Apparently it's easier to make such a simple thing into an HTML-based app than a native one, and I don't see why it has to be that way. If anything it should be easier to deal with native stuff given the extra freedom it grants you, but it's not. Autolayout? It sucks so bad I'd rather use C macros to define my layout constraints, and I *have*.

And yeah, web apps must be stopped. But you aren't going to stop them without making the alternatives better.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Since they can't get anything else right, you gotta have at least one gold card :)

theboyken

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
I'd be very surprised. Where did you hear this?

Certainly parts of it are Java. The reason being that the App Store (and iTunes Store, and online Apple Store) are all WebObjects, which is Java-based. See for yourself, it comes with a built-in version of the Java runtime:

$ ls /Applications/Transporter.app/Contents/itms/java/

Reactions: fairuz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.