Apple broke my imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tommy060289, Dec 29, 2011.

1. tommy060289, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

tommy060289 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone, I have a 2011 iMac with an SSD primary drive and a 1TB HDD secondary.

I recently took it into apple as the HDD was going faulty and would not write/read, kept saying fine in disk utility and then next time it would come up with error can not repair, node failure, etc, etc.

They apparently replaced it now but I'm not sure if they've made it better or worse. Firstly, the most annoying thing is they have to remove the screen to clean repair which I HATE as its virtually impossible to get rid of all dust (I made them take it back last time and redo it but I've just spotted another) but secondly:

The HDD now frequently disappears, crashes disk utility when I try to start it and worst of all seems to be causing the fan to come on with lots of noise. Im not sure if its another faulty hard drive or the problem is something else. Anyone have any idea what the fault will be? The HDD doesn't even appear in disk utility (in recovery mode to - also crashes often), its as if its not there and I have no way to access it. Bizarrely, I can still access the windows partition, albeit very slowly:S Im going to take it into apple again soon but would be nice to know if anyone else knows the fix beyond ANOTHER HDD replacement.

Cheers,

Tom

2. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

just keep taking it back, since its a 2011 they will most likely replace it when the amount of repair reaches or exceeds the value of the computer, at least thats what happened to me. GL

3. tommy060289 thread starter macrumors regular

I suspect that would be a lot of Hard drives then before they replaced a 27" with an SSD.

Its not so much the fault but the inconvienance of having to box it up again, take to a store about an hour away, leave it there, fetch it back, put the box back away not knowing if the problem is fixed or not.

I just downloaded istat and it says fan 'hard drive' 3000RPM'

if you have 2 HDD do you still only have 1 fan or is 3000RPM for the SSD and the HDD is showing up or is that the HDD fan and there is no SSD fan?

any idea?