Apple browsers don't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trims, Jun 22, 2011.

1. trims macrumors regular

I had a recent scare where my car engine failed while I was in the fast lane of the motorway (freeway). I wished to file a Vehicle Safety Defect Report to our friendly Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

I have discovered its not possible to file such reports with Government Agencies here in the UK using either Safari or Firefox on an iMac.

No problems using the old Tecra M5 / XP / Exploder.

Who should I complain to? Apple, or the UK Government? :eek:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some sites do not work with certain browsers. It's the fault of the site, not the browser. You can try switching User Agents in Safari to see if that works.
    ScreenCap 12.png
    If you don't see the Develop item on your Menu Bar, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced:
    ScreenCap 13.png

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

Your car's engine crapping out is probably not a vehicle defect per the VOSA; you'd have to prove that it was not caused by poor maintenance.

Even if it is, the way to report it is to fill out a PDF form, nothing to do with any browser, per the link below.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Did you happen to try Firefox (the same version) on your PC to see if it worked? I would think if it failed on the iMac, it would also fail on the PC, meaning it's not so much an "Apple" problem.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's working now. May have been the site temporarily down (one message I got referred to maintenance), or just my connection.

8. al2o3cr macrumors regular

I suspect you should complain to whoever thought it was better to use a submit-from-inside-the-PDF trick instead of just having a proper web form. I'd have to guess that whatever they're doing to handle the submit probably doesn't work in anything other than the Adobe PDF runtime...