Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trims

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Nottingham, UK
I had a recent scare where my car engine failed while I was in the fast lane of the motorway (freeway). I wished to file a Vehicle Safety Defect Report to our friendly Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

I have discovered its not possible to file such reports with Government Agencies here in the UK using either Safari or Firefox on an iMac.

No problems using the old Tecra M5 / XP / Exploder.

Who should I complain to? Apple, or the UK Government? :eek:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I had a recent scare where my car engine failed while I was in the fast lane of the motorway (freeway). I wished to file a Vehicle Safety Defect Report to our friendly Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

I have discovered its not possible to file such reports with Government Agencies here in the UK using either Safari or Firefox on an iMac.

Some sites do not work with certain browsers. It's the fault of the site, not the browser. You can try switching User Agents in Safari to see if that works.
ScreenCap 12.png
If you don't see the Develop item on your Menu Bar, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced:
ScreenCap 13.png

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Your car's engine crapping out is probably not a vehicle defect per the VOSA; you'd have to prove that it was not caused by poor maintenance.

Even if it is, the way to report it is to fill out a PDF form, nothing to do with any browser, per the link below.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Did you happen to try Firefox (the same version) on your PC to see if it worked? I would think if it failed on the iMac, it would also fail on the PC, meaning it's not so much an "Apple" problem.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009

I suspect you should complain to whoever thought it was better to use a submit-from-inside-the-PDF trick instead of just having a proper web form. I'd have to guess that whatever they're doing to handle the submit probably doesn't work in anything other than the Adobe PDF runtime...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.