Apple BT Keyboard - 2 Bat. vs 3 Bat. Version?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tucom, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

What's the difference in battery life and reliability and overall performance between the 2-battery newer version and the older 3-battery version? I have a chance to purchase a 3-battery one for $30 shipped off eBay, is it worth it? Or should I save up for the 2-battery version?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The older one -- I assume you mean the wider white one -- used *four* batteries. The new one uses two.

The main differences are size of keys, weight and number of keys. This new one is basically a MacBook keyboard with a cylindrical battery compartment. It's very portable, so you can use it with an iPad if you need to without too much clutter. If you need the keypad, there are add-ons that attach to the right side to give you the keys taken off.

I don't have any complaints about either one, but I would personally recommend the newer one. I think the keys depress easier and the batteries seem to last a lot longer.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not think so. When apple first came out with the aluminum wireless keyboard... it used three batteries. After about a year... they changed to two batteries. They look largely the same.

I prefer the newer one with two batteries. It seems to last longer.

/Jim

4. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Yes there was the white acrylic BT keyboard that used four batteries, but the first mini Aluminum keyboard Apple made used three batteries, then they went to two batteries.

I actually acquired a two battery version, but still curious how the two compare.