Apple Building Cash Reserves for 'Big, Bold' Moves

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reports on comments from Apple CEO Steve Jobs out of the company's shareholders meeting today regarding Apple's growing war chest of cash and the company's plans for it in the face of questions from shareholders. According to Jobs, Apple is building its reserves for future investments that would be calculated to return significant value rather than simply returning the money to shareholders.
    Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook mentioned earlier this week at a Goldman Sachs conference that Apple has looked at large companies for acquisitions, but that none have been the right fit. Consequently, Apple has restricted itself to purchasing smaller companies, such as Quattro Wireless and Lala Media, primarily for their technology and talent.

Cook noted that remaining focused on a relatively small number of products and making them the best they can be is key to Apple's strategy and that it would not simply acquire another company to boost its bottom line. A report last month, however, claimed that Apple is becoming more serious about corporate acquisitions in the wake of Google's acquisition of AdMob, a company Apple had been looking at purchasing itself.

In other news from the meeting, all seven members of Apple's Board of Directors, including Jobs, were re-elected by shareholders.

Article Link: Apple Building Cash Reserves for 'Big, Bold' Moves

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

According to current threads, Apple should by Yahoo, Adobe and develop a 4G network of their own :rolleyes:

3. kolax macrumors G3

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple bought Adobe. That'd be one way to kill Flash anyway ;)

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Buy: Dell, Adobe, Intel, Nvidia(?) & Yahoo.

I don't know how much that would cost! But it would be an impressive buy..... All in one day..

In all seriousness, I would like to know what Jobs is planning!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This is already been rumoured here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=870099

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=870142

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=869710

Will the buy Microsoft next?

In all seriousness, I'm eager to see what they are going to do with so much cash, they can buy a lot of companies from the amount of money they have saved.
    I hope they go with some companies that develop some kind of advanced hardware, although software is in right now as it seems.

I'm slow. [​IMG]

7. doctoree macrumors 6502

So the DO plan to vastly expand the A4 Team. Making all the chips of ALL their devices themselves!

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

At this point, releasing new computers would be considered a big bold move.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

10. ivladster macrumors 6502

ivladster

Well it depends. Some huge companies cost Billions. And apple has only 25. So they could just buy one huge company, like Yahoo.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Or killing (some of) them altogether. Remember, Apple is a "mobile devices company" now. :eek:

12. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

Apple Inc. should expand in new directions, like computing. They used to make them once, you know, and some of them were half decent.

13. Macman08 macrumors newbie

Big companies (besides Apple) drive prices down.

When was the last time you went to a Mom&Pop computer store to buy a hard drive? Most people go to "big companies" (Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy, etc) to get the best deals.

As South Park pointed out in their 'Harbucks' coffee shop episode, these companies got big because they offer a better product at better prices.

14. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

About $26 billion.

16. ShiftyPig macrumors 6502a

MS has more cash than Apple.

[/financial fail]

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, I mean it isn't like Apple's computers sales are increasing or anything...

18. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

No, kill Photoshop and all content production tools on Windows.

19. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

why would apple want yahoo? i can see the worth in buying adobe...

this thread makes no sense when considering the 40 staff cuts recently. or does it?

20. tod macrumors regular

I'd much rather have Apple invest my tiny slice of that $40 billion for me, rather than take a dividend, pay taxes, and find some non-Apple thing to invest in. It's amazing that anyone even suggests Apple should pay a dividend!

21. drknow macrumors newbie

cash for big purchases

Here's an idea; Apple buys Adobe, fixes flash on OS X and iPhone and then open sources the code. Add AIR development platform to mobileme and future cloud computing projects. Make after effects part of Final Cut Studio. Integrate photoshop elements into iphoto. etc.. etc..

22. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

What would they kill? They don't exactly have a big variety of them and each one seems to fill a role.

23. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Rumor is Apple is Planning to Buy Microsoft with a Partner. Word is Intel/Apple partnership to purchase Microsoft along with some investors joining the pot.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I think that might depend on what region you live in. Here, I know of a couple of "mom and pop" shops that I always go to first for OEM parts. I'm about to go to the one across the street from my workplace and walk out with a WD Scorpio Blue 640 gig laptop hard drive for $120 Cdn. By comparison, Newegg.ca sells the same drive for $129, plus $10 shipping, then I'd have to wait a few days.

25. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If Apple were to buy Adobe, I think it would be great for consumers. A better Mac version of Photoshop, a combination that provides the best of Aperture and Lightroom, the death of Flash, and the death of Acrobat Reader.

With that said, great for consumers and great for Apple are not necessarily the same thing.