Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working to build a dedicated Developer Center on its Apple Park campus, Apple Fellow Phil Schiller said today during his testimony in the ongoing Epic v. Apple trial.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

Schiller did not provide additional detail on the Developer Center, and it has not previously been announced by Apple, so little information is available at this time.

In the past, Apple had Developer Compatibility Labs for Mac OS X developers, and it's possible that the new Developer Center will offer similar functionality. Developer Compatibility Labs offered developers access to Apple facilities in Cupertino, California or Tokyo, Japan to test their software or hardware products with a wide range of Apple devices to ensure compatibility.

The Developer Compatibility Labs, which have since been discontinued, were priced at $99 and supported up to 10 people, with 500 different hardware configurations available.

The new Apple Park Developer Center will presumably allow developers to visit Apple Park to test apps and work with Apple engineers to fix bugs and implement new features. We've asked Apple for more information and will update when we hear back.

Article Link: Apple Building Developer Center at Apple Park Campus

dennislaska

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Buffalo,NY
"Schiller did not provide additional detail on the Developer Center, and it has not previously been announced by Apple, so little information is available at this time."

Oh. okay.

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
That‘s actually pretty cool. It‘s a pleasure to visit the campus — everyone should go see it if they get out there.

deebinem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2017
Given how often Apple Park is sickened to Touch ID, I wonder which Apple product the developer center will resemble…
Thank you, was missing this...

I'm surprised they didn't opt for the Custom Emoji roof with an Apple logo on it...

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Wow that sounds really cool. It will probably help a lot of developers test the compatibility of their apps.

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
Why mention this if there are no details? Is Phil suggesting this helps justify their AppStore fees? Seems a bit tenuous given that most developers will never visit it. I would rather have more developer events and technical support.

opiapr

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
Why I’m imagining: a smaller ring, placed next the headquarters… like a doghouse… don’t mess up, or we’ll send you to the developer building… will probably have really bad WiFi, as an added punishment…
Well yes. It shows that Apple continues to invest on developers like they had since day one. This is a fact no matter what Epic, Spotify or Tile says.

Reactions: ImaginaryNerve

JKAussieSkater

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Why I’m imagining: a smaller ring, placed next the headquarters… like a doghouse… don’t mess up, or we’ll send you to the developer building… will probably have really bad WiFi, as an added punishment…
My thoughts too. How is it that this enormous spaceship they’ve built is not big enough to house developers? Surely it’s big enough? Wasn’t the point of the spaceship to bring their employees together to feel unified and work together?

h3ysw5nkan

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2016
My thoughts too. How is it that this enormous spaceship they’ve built is not big enough to house developers? Surely it’s big enough? Wasn’t the point of the spaceship to bring their employees together to feel unified and work together?
Developers are external personnel. They don’t have the security clearance to enter the main building, where you may see confidential information or hear something you shouldn’t have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.