Apple Bumper, 5 month review [pics]

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by coneman5259, Mar 16, 2011.

1. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

Well, it's been 5 months since I broke down and settled for the black iPhone 4. I then immediately purchased the Apple Bumper. It has been on my phone the whole time and I only take it off to clean the phone. My experience has been more on the pleasant side with no regrets. First off, it's too expensive for what it is, but everybody already knows that, however it provides the most coverage with the most minimal design.

I drop my phone like it's my job. So I was worried to get this "rubber band" of plastic to protect my phone, I just came from the incipio silicrylic two part case for my 3G, which is indestructible.

I dropped the phone with the bumper on and it fell right on the corner on the sidewalk, it took a huge gouge out of the bumper but better that than the phone.

The bumper is falling apart now and the the coloring is turning into a green around the rubber parts, but it still works and is still tight. The bumper does "polish" the stainless steel and leaves shiny parts which can be seen in some of the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

4. CK1Czar macrumors member

My Bumper fell apart in about two months. I go naked now

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Assuming the iPhone retains the same form factor in the June/July update, I'm curious as to whether Apple will change up the bumpers at all.

6. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Indeed it's time for you to pick up another bumper. - or just another case for that matter. The colour just makes the case look kinda gross now.

7. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wow, Apple's $30 POS rubber band damages your phone, falls apart, AND looks butt ugly.

8. sideshow76 macrumors newbie

seems like the bumper did its job OP

from what I've seen the iPhone 4 crowd doesn't really like using a case, I'd say 70% of the iPhone 4's I see are naked. Looks nice but my roommate's screen spider web'd when he dropped his once. I've got a case on my 3GS although I have seen a lot more naked 3GS's lately, trend?

9. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

if youre looking for a decent solid bumper thats cheap, go with the Marware. That's what I've used for 7 months now and there are absolutely no scratches from it, and its in the same shape as the day i bought it.

10. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Do other bumpers like the Hula and Neo Hybrid EX have that polishing "feature" or just Apple ones?

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

haha. Apple didn't do it first, but the perfected it! :p

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

13. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

I actually like the bumper but have to agree. I bought the blue one. Had it for maybe 2 months and it is turning green in certain areas. Just bought a couple off ebay for $12 bucks each. Got black this time. See how it goes

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I got the free black one when they were first offered. It still works perfectly except the back rubber is separating next to the dock connector. It doesn't affect anything, and works fine; just a little annoyance. But the Black looks the same as it did on day one. Overall, I really like the bumper.

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Been using the cheap knock off bumpers from SW-box for about 3 months now. No issues with those and I don't have any polished areas on my phone. Might wanna check those out since they're only $8-$10.

16. kicko macrumors 65816

+1
    they are only $4 but you will have to factor in shipping. I have 2 and they are fine. I dont believe they give the drop protection as the OP is describing but maybe i dont have enough "faith" in them.

17. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

how do the sw-box and the apple bumpers works with screen protectors? I use both a front and a back protector from sgp and really don't want to mess them up.

18. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

For me, neither the Apple Bumper or the SW-Box bumpers peeled my screen protectors and I'm using cheap eBay brand ones. I've taken the bumpers off quite frequently (I change cases a lot) and never have the protectors peeled off or lifted up once.

19. kicko macrumors 65816

if they are on fairly centered there should be no issue with bumpers. I dont think i have heard of one bumper yet to bubble.