Apple bumper and XM skydock not compatible!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by christophermdia, Jun 26, 2010.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Got my iPhone 4 bumper today and actually love the look especially with Zagg...but in my car I use the XM Skydock as my dock as well as for XM music, and the bumper does not fit. Any suggestions on what I could do? Anyone think those dock extenders would work at all, will be a pretty clunky setup.

2. droach2318 macrumors newbie

Any luck?

I got mine today... did you have any luck figuring anything out?

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Here are your options, pick one.

Buy a new car.
    Buy a new radio.
    Buy a different case.
    Don't use a case.
    Don't use a car.

4. droach2318 macrumors newbie

I was thinking either dock extender or modifying the skydock. I didn't know if the dock extender worked with music though. But thanks for being such a funny guy. You must be popular on these here internets.
    Hoo hoo

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've been using wither my 3GS or my 3G for the Skydock. I don't want to ruin my bumper by taking it off everyday.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Skydock app has been updated but no multitasking and no improved icon yet.

7. wschappell macrumors newbie

Use Sendstation dock extender

It seems pricey for what it is, but there really doesn't seem to be a similar product. It works fine with the Apple bumper for iPhone 4, but make sure you use the correct spacer on the skydock to account for the thinner iPhone 4 so that it makes a good connection to the sendstation and skydock. If you don't use the correct spacer, the iPhone will lean forward or backward on the extender and won't make a good connection. You can purchase from sendstation (see link) or from Amazon.
    http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

8. weezite macrumors regular

What is the advantage of the Skydock over the SiriusXM app? I use the Motorola T505 to listen to the app through my car's stereo. Is there any advantage to using the Skydock for the same thing?

9. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Does anybody know if any of the free cases offered by Apple work with the XM Skydock?

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The SendStation site says it does not work with the bumper without modification:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/support/23 (under the second question)

They say they're working on a resized version, but don't list an ETA on when that will be ready.

11. *smb* macrumors newbie

I got my skydock today and discovered the same thing, unfortunately. :( I thought for sure it worked...had tried my phone/bumper combo in my hubby's car for fit but I didn't actually turn it on and try it out - it didn't even cross my mind since I thought fit would be the issue. :eek: I tried cutting out the little inner lip on the bottom of the bumper and filing it down, but it wasn't enough to make it work. The bumper is too thick.

For the time being I'm using one of these that we had on hand:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Replicase-H...20643870560?pt=PDA_Accessories#ht_3145wt_1139

Not my first choice in case, but it fits and doesn't have to be removed in order to dock and work properly. :)