Apple Bumper + Carbon Fiber (3m DI-NOC) back combo?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jLp-PR, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jLp-PR macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I bought my iP4 a couple of weeks ago and I ordered a PixelSkin HD from Apple's free case program. It's supposed to get to me in a couple of days (already has shipped).

Anyways, a buddy of mine emailed me that he went ahead with the free apple bumper (black) plus he bought a 3m di-noc carbon fiber (pretty cheap on Ebay) film for the back of his iP4. He swears that's the best looking option he's seen, adds basically no bulk plus it's dirt cheap.

Has anyone tried this?

Any opinions?

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

had this combo going for a while (using the luckylabs black carbon texture piece), then moved on to the real carbon piece from elementcase...its a sharp looking combo for sure.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have the same setup as your buddy, makes the phone look like a B52 Stealth Bomber, so awesome. Carbon adds a nice look, and the 3M sticky can be used more than once

4. jLp-PR thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it protects the phone nicely?

5. bcp23 macrumors member

I have been using this combo for a couple of weeks also. I picked up the bumper from the free case program and the carbon fiber back from Lucky Labs when they had the 50% off coupon. I love this combo because it gives the phone little bulk with some protection. I really don't know how well the bumper will hold up to a fall, and don't want to find out.
    I like the feeling of the carbon fiber back as well. Before that I had the Zagg and it had a tacky/sticky feeling. So much better with the carbon fiber. Plus I saw some on ebay for about $5 shipped.

6. clads01 macrumors member

Were you able to order that real carbon piece separately? Or do you get it with the Vapor case?

Any impact on reception with the real carbon fiber?

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

it came with my case, I dunno if you can get it separately or not or who even sells it but somebody should make them and sell them. I haven't noticed any reception issues with the real carbon back plate but it looks amazing!

8. jLp-PR thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, thanx for the replies.

Got one more question,

Will the carbon fiber skin adhere to the back over one of those screen protectors, example, over a Switcheasy Pure+ back screen protector?

9. bcp23 macrumors member

When I tried to put the Lucky Labs carbon fiber skin on the back my phone it ended up pulling off my Zagg Shield when I tried adjusting the skin. It will adhere to it but you have to get it perfect the first time.

10. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

heres my bumper/carbon fibre skin combo......

Bumper is from case program and the skin was bought from ebay from a seller in the UK...

The touchscreen is protected by a cheap ebay screen protector.. A pack of 6 front and back cost £4...

Attached Files:

11. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I have a question. Will the bumper from Apple's free case program peel off the carbon fiber back sticker in any way? If it helps, I'm using the one from LuckyLabs.

12. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

No

13. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

14. ocdp310 macrumors newbie

I have had good luck with a Dinocarbon kit

dinocarbon.com is where I got my kit and its been holding stron ever since I got it 6 months ago. $15, free shipping. Not too shabby :cool:

15. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Do you have links...?

Does the bumper still scratch the outside of the phone!?

16. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

hey i dont have the apple bumper but I do have a similar bumper and a 3d icarbons carbon back skin fits perfect no problem on the edges.. heres my verizon iphone4

[​IMG]

17. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Is that a bumper from sw-box? If so, can you provide a little feedback on it? Sorry for the thread derail.

18. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

If your asking about mine no.. it is an SGP Neo Hybrid EX series bumper. Love it so far! snug fit, wrap over the edge of the glass, awesome lay on the table front and back, the rubber between the band and the phone keep it looking amazing underneath. 9.8 imo !

19. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i have used the lucky labs carbon set with many bumper style cases and they all work pretty good, it will work with apple bumper but that bumper isnt the best one out there either, here is a pic of the knock off bumper with the carbon back.
    i also stuck it on with a screen protector once but you get one try to align it right, the skin will not damage the glass in any way if that is what you were worried about

Attached Files:

20. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

21. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

yes it is, i have a ful review with other pics in the sw-box knock off thread

22. himesh macrumors regular

I have the same on my phone at the minute, but with an orange bumper, i like bright colours. Will try and get some pics up later.