Apple Bumper: leave back naked or use protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jhill89, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jhill89 macrumors member

My Apple bumper arrived in the post today and it is very sexy, however I was wondering how easy it is to scratch the back if I leave it naked. I have been using a Griffin Reveal which is a lovely little case but I much prefer the bumper. Is it worth getting a front/back protector for the phone and if so can someone point me in the right direction for some decent ones (UK sites please)

2. illutionz macrumors 65816

I am not sure about you but I can't stand glossy screen protector because it attracts fingerprints in one way or another. Yes oleophobic is great but in my experience, I'm still able to leave a fingerprint on these oleophobic screen protectors.

To combat this, I am using SGP Ultra Matte full protection + Cheap Matte screen protector.

Highly suggest you put on some sort of screen/back protector :eek:

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

go naked or get a skin which does'nt affect the cosmetic look to much.

Cases are too bulky and spoil the look of the phone in my opinion.

4. 1stalban macrumors member

Thoughts

I posted this in another thread as well, but my concern is similar. I'd like to not use a bumper since I have protectors on the front and back. My main concern with this is the risk of scratching the lens on the back without the bumper even with the screen protector on...

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

If you enjoy having the naked feel. Yet still want a little protection, use the bumper and a skin on the back.

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

get a bestskinsever on the back and call it a day

7. alFR macrumors 68020

Look on Amazon UK, there are quite a few screen protector sets that have front and back films.

8. jhill89 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, got a few in mind now, just have to decide which one is best! :apple:

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

The very best thing you can do is insure the phone. No screen protector, skin, or the majority of the cases will not protect it from a heavy impact.

Its the only way for sure you will not have to pay full price for another phone if you break the yours.

In the uk if you break your phone in contract without insurance you will have to buy one for 500£. That is the only way you will get another iphone without insurance and i'm not willing to pay that out if i can just pay 12.99 for full coverage :)

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I had a 3G with no case for 2 years.

The plastic back got fairly beat up. The glass front was alway fine.

Consequently, I'm not all that worried about the glass on either side of my i4.

11. jhill89 thread starter macrumors member

I have insured my i4 with my Natwest Advantage Gold account, I like to keep the phone in as good a condition as possible so it's keeps a high resale value for when the next one comes out next year and I sell this one ;)

12. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I have one of the knock off Invisible Shields on the back of my 4. It works great and is completely scratch resistant like it says. Very similar to IS, only like an 8th of the price on eBay. Came with a front screen too but I already had a screen protector on it.

13. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

My Mom uses a bumper only, and she has several faint scratches on the back. She has no idea how they got there since she carries it in her handbag or pocket. Might be worth using a protector.

14. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

Black bumper, Power Support Crystal on front, Zagg IS on back for me.

15. agknicks94 macrumors newbie

agknicks94

use a protector with the bumper
    you wont regret it!

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

:facepalm: buying phones for resale value is absurd.

17. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I'm going to use a bumper and a Phantom Skinz on the back only. Phantom Skinz is the only place that I've seen so far that will sell you just the back.

18. danno1769 macrumors member

I havent done any foul play to my phone and it has tiny scratches on the lower back. My friends does as well... The phone is just a scratch magnet. You might want to get something for it. If the bumper raises it from touching the surface of a table, you might not need it then. I think the problem is that you are setting glass on things and its bound to get scratched.

19. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

You misunderstand what "oleophobic" means. It doesn't mean it can't get skin oil on it. It means that skin oil won't stick to it.

If you have or had a 3G, you would understand the amazing difference between that screen, with no oleophobic coating, and the coating that started last year with the 3GS. It's wonderful. A quick wipe and oil is gone. The 3G? Wipe wipe wipe . . . smears. Wipe wipe wipe, more smears. Wipe wipe wipe, swirly smears. It was very annoying.

20. boiledsoup macrumors newbie

I like your description of the 3G :)

21. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Always use protection, son ... always use protection.

23. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

+1

I'm using the same setup. BSE works great on the back, front not so much so I used a SGP.

Still waiting for my vapor4.....

24. dunxxx macrumors regular