Apple Bumper: Official vs. Knockoff/Replica

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by scarboy6693, Dec 6, 2010.

1. scarboy6693, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

2. iBrody macrumors 6502

Don't get what he's going on about. Doesn't OEM mean it's manufactured officially (i.e. by Apple) but sold to other third party companies to use without the official packaging?

The green bumper is just (as the guy said before rephrasing) a knock off.

3. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was really just trying to point out that OEM ones aren't bad in quality, they are almost the same, so there really isn't a point in spending $30 when you can get OEM for $3. Just showing the differences that are noticeable

4. iBrody macrumors 6502

The green bumper clearly wasn't made by Apple so how can you call it OEM.

It's a fake, knock-off, copy or whatever, but not OEM. As far as I understand with OEM goods, all the parts would have to have been manufactured by Apple to be OEM. The guy even said that the buttons are different and the bands flex differently, so I can't see the green bumper as being 'genuine'/OEM.

5. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok to start off with.. I made the video. #2: Apple doesn't manufacture the parts. they have 3rd party companies that do it for them. #3: if you listened closely you would know that I said the way they flex just may be due to the fact that I've had the black one for a while and I just got the OEM one. The actual frame is really the same as an official bumper, but the buttons are different because since they weren't the same buttons as on the official ones, they use them with the frame for the apple ones and sell them for Cheap

6. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

you've got your terms completely mixed up

official = OEM

replica,knockoff,similar, "oem style" =/= OEM

OEM = original equipment manufacturer, means that it is the original part

7. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Haha sorry man, I'll have to agreee ^^ OEM = official, same concept..

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You bill yourself as "techdude" and you don't know what OEM means. I think you should be submitting to the Fail Blog, not YouTube.

9. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

gee ok, I've seen a lot of people refer to eBay and dealxtreme bumpers as "OEM" so I thought I was wrong if I called it a knockoff. changing the title

10. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Can you post a link to this seller.......I can't find them.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

12. burgerkong, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

burgerkong macrumors newbie

Not true 100%, Apple does outsource production to another company. Because it doesn't have Apple's name on it, does that mean identical products from the same company are fakes/homages? That company IS the Original Equipment Manufacturer, I don't see why you guys say it isn't. You are implying that they are making fakes of their own products.

Now I don't exactly know the routes of the DX product, but there IS a slim chance that it was produced by Apple's subcontractor...food for thought.

13. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol my thoughts too, As far as the used parts the only real difference is the buttons are slightly different

14. enemi, Dec 8, 2010

enemi macrumors regular

enemi

Lol stop hating on the guy, all he did was phrase one word incorrectly.
    He's actually sharing his opinions and views about the 2 different bumpers for the masses out there..
    Thanks for the review.
    People need to lighten up, lol. :rolleyes:

edit: Just ordered 3 ;p

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have both and they're pretty similar in all aspects. I have noticed that the knock off ones aren't quite as good a fit as the Apple bumpers. I have two knock offs; one doesn't fit quite well (the sleep button won't line up for some reason) and the other one has pretty loose buttons and the sleep button actually fell off. Not sure if I just got a crappy shipment or what but for $3-$4 bucks, I can't see any huge differences between them. Overall, happy with the knock off ones since paying $30 for a bumper is a bit ridiculous to me.

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I've heard that the OEM bumpers have a tighter fit than the apple bumpers. How does this affect the issue of dust getting in between the bumper and phone and scratching the bezel?

Does it prevent as much dust from getting in since it's tighter, or would it scratch more since it's tighter?

Also, protection wise, are the OEM bumpers as strong as the apple bumpers and offer the same level of protection for that type of case?

17. ItsJustafnPhone, Dec 8, 2010

ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

These are clearly knockoff parts because they are being marketed as Apple brand bumpers= goes against OEM contracts

the bumper could be made by Microsoft, but if it's the official apple bumper then it's OEM

it's clear that you don't understand what the term OEM stands for so I'll give you a real life example

2002 Honda Accord Gauge cluster
    Manufactured by Ford
    in every new Honda Accord, Ford is the "original equipment manufacturer" for this Honda part

Ford could sell the gauge cluster as a ford part (if it signed a non-exclusive contract, hell it could sell the part to Toyota ), but it cannot sell it as a Honda part.

there is only one OEM bumper that is the one apple sells , the rest are replica's,knockoffs, or "oem style"

18. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand what that means, just didn't bother to take the time to research all of this. I have other things to do, and the point of the video wasn't trying to see where the non-official bumper came from or what it is, it was just to quickly compare the differences between something that's $30 and something that is $3

19. jLp-PR macrumors regular

TD, enjoyed your video as always.

Thanx for sharing.

20. burgerkong macrumors newbie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oem

(I know, it's wiki, but for argument's sake)

You're only partially right, but meh, if you want to keep on arguing that your definition of OEM is the end-all definition, so be it, I'm getting out of this thread.

21. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Man

@sweat - It was $3.10 shipped from DealXtreme

22. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Only partially right ? did you read what I read and the wikipedia link, that's exactly what I posted. but to make it crystal clear ( not using cars as an example)

a) If apple makes the bumper in their own factories then they are the OEM
    b) If apple outsources to another company than that company is the OEM and apple is just the distributor/reseller

but who cares, we all know what the Official bumper is, the OP was using the term incorrectly

23. scarboy6693 thread starter macrumors 6502

But then again, we don't know where DX is getting the bumper, It could be OEM after all. DX is just a reseller, not a manufacturer.