Apple Bumper review/comments

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Shaddow825, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2006
    I have never used a case before other than my 2nd gen 10gb ipod back in the day. Although they have been getting better over the years, I still hadn't found a case I really liked for any of the first 3 iphones. I am pretty easy on phones, and my 3gs looks like, after a year of use, like it just came out of a case but this iphone 4 has me a bit nervous and it feels like it may slip from my hand, and with the exposed glass edges, doesn't seem like it would take much to shatter the glass. I think that this feeling along with the antenna issues pushed me over the edge as far as wanting to try a case.

So after a couple days of use, I have a couple thoughts on the bumper from a traditionally non case using user. First, I have to say, as far as cases go, it's pretty good and doesn't add a whole lot of bulk to the phone, but on the otherhand it really changes the feel of the phone. The iphone went from feeling like I was holding the future to feeling a lot like any ole phone, somewhat like the 3g/3gs with the rounded edges. I do like the fact that holding on to it is easier and there is less feeling like I will drop it.

I also like that they use the same volume buttons and almost the same sleep button. This keeps the integration/user experience high and except for feeling different than a native ip4, really doesn't feel like there is a case on it at all, just feeling like a different phone.

I don't like the dock connector, but from looking at it, there was only so much more plastic they could have taken away before losing the structure of the case. I will likely be modifying any cable the needs it with a file or dremmel before I would modify the case itself. One idea that I wish they could have done, was to have a bumper with an integrated dock extender that would plug into the bottom and then stretch the case over the rest of the phone and would have provided a flush dock port like the original phone has.

I will probably keep using the bumper unless Apple completely comes up with a fix for the antenna issues that goes beyond changing the display of the number of bars. Only then might I be willing to risk carrying it without a bumper to get the intended look/feel of the iphone4.
  2. OC513 macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2007
    I am of a similar mind set as you......I never had a case on any phone, including original iPhone and iPhone 3G.....just loved the look of the phones too much.....I am careful but in the 2 years of owning each of those iPhones they took a few really good drops and survived.....sometimes miraculously. With the iPhone 4 I was not so sure....I mean no matter how tough they claim it to be it is still glass. So I reluctantly went and got a bumper.....I am thrilled. It is almost like no case at all.......almost like part of the phone. Adds almost zero bulk, it does make the iPhone a little bit wider but I like that as the new iPhone is a bit skinnier than previous versions and after years of holding the older ones the new model felt a little weird to doesnt hinder the phone coming in and out of my jeans pocket and I can place my iPhone down on a table and not worry about it resting directly on the screen or back glass as the lip of the bumper protects them. Overall I am really happy with it so far.
  3. Krafty macrumors 601

Dec 31, 2007
    La La Land
    I'm satisfied with mines. Although on the Apple forums someone reported dropped theirs on flat surface with the bumper on and it still shattered the back, I'm still going to be careful.

I have a protective film that was originally designed for the 3GS. After being emailed from the CEO of the company (which they do when you purchase a product), I told him I screwed it up and threw it away. They generously sent me another free of charge, so I decided to use it to avoid wasting $15 on another screen protector. It doesnt effect the VGA camera at all, although I probably will barely use it. If anything, there a few small lines of dust inside, but nothing too noticeable unless the screen is all white. (The fingerprints arent that visible, its just my external flash that makes the streaks appear brighter)

Attached Files:

4. SAPPete macrumors member

Apr 13, 2010
    Just got my black bumper case, and I think it's crap. I spent quite some time to adjust the fit, and it's way too loose, and the whole top right half switched the phone on or off. For a 30 bucks rubber band it's total *****.
  5. spyda macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2009
    I sold my bumper the day I received it. Just doesn't look good at all.
  6. glen e macrumors 68030

Jun 19, 2010
    Ft Lauderdale
    happy with mine, think the white bumper on a black phone will be the way to go...
  7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2009
    I like mine, but the bumper was a bit loose. They are sending me two more free of charge, one blue and one black. Hope the fit a bit better.
  8. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2008
    How did you manage to get 2 free of charge? Is it through apple?
  9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2009
    Yes. Told them the first one was loose. First guy I spoke to was a jerk, but he said he'd send me a new black one. Called back to complain about the rude guy, and she said she'd send me a blue one for my trouble. She was awesome.
  10. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2007
    I think Apple is having trouble making the colored ones or something... I have 3 black bumpers and all of them have smooth shiny plastic in the middle and then the outer edges on both sides are a rubber material -- whell I just got two colored bumpers (both orange) and the rubber material around the outer edges is just hard plastic on the colored ones... wtf? The black ones are so much better if they are gonna use hard plastic throughout on the colored ones.
  11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2010
    Lakeland, FL
  12. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2008
    I just got the black bumper today from the local Apple Store. After about 3 minutes of use, I took it off. Way too much play and it doesn't seem tight enough on the phone at all. I'm not going to shim a $29 bumper...this thing should fit way better. Back to the store!
  13. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2009
    ^My thoughts exactly.
  14. fastd macrumors member

Jun 28, 2010
    Just picked up a black one from local Apple store. As there is no back, I expected it to flex in the middle. If the sides were stiffer then it may shatter the case on impact, as now I expect it to bend/flex and provide a good amount of protection. It's definitely much less bulky than a full case. I will try it with a wrapsol front/back for a bit. Otherwise I am thinking of a otterbox commuter.
  15. Gunplameister macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2010
    maybe i just got lucky but i got one of the black bumpers new from a forum member here, it arrived today and i took the crappy belkin clearview i had on there of "its going back to BB in the morning" and snapped on the apple. mine fits snug as a bug with no play or give, the rubber fits tight against the glass and i thing will be perfect after i put my skin and front on.

i like that its secure in my pocket but easy to pull out without that rubber stick to it, this is just my opinion but other than getting one of those bamboo or metal cases mainly for looks im very happy with the aplle bumper.
  16. xraytech macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2010
  17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Jun 20, 2010
    My bumper is like a part of the phone. Nothing to think about.
  18. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I love the bumper. That $29 saved my phone from a 4 1/2 foot drop last night, and the bumper only has a few scuffs from the fall. (was onto a brick floor also and the phone fell on the corner then on the screen)
  19. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2009
    Got my black one last Thursday and I'm really digging it. I used an incase slider for my 3GS ever since I got it launch day, even though it scratched my phone (didn't care as I planned on getting the iphone 4 next year, and I really liked how it felt) If incase makes a minimal case similar to the slider that doesn't scratch the iphone then I'll switch the that, otherwise I'm fine with the bumper for now.