Apple Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by super tomtendo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I'm looking at getting the Apple Bumper case and getting an invisible shield for the back to prevent scratches.

I just bought the Verizon iPhone and of course their are no good looking cases that keep the design of the iPhone, which is what I want.

For those who have and use the Apple Bumper - what are your thoughts about it? I heard it can scratch the steel band. Is that true? have you experienced that?

Any other (Verizon Compatible) cases that keep the design of the iPhone that you know of/use?

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I initially got an Apple bumper but I ditched it
    I didn't like the look and feel
    I prefer my iPhone naked

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

How long did you use it? Did it scratch your steel band?

4. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

I have the zaggs invisible shields and a bumper I love this combo, but i havnt had the bumper that long to tell about the scuffing

5. brandQn macrumors newbie

I use a bumper on mine and it's perfect for me. I like the look/feel of it, and offers pretty decent protection for the size.

Mine doesn't have a single scratch on the stainless steel band. The bumper is made out of plastic so there's no way for it to possibly scratch the stainless steel unless dirt or something gets trapped underneath it.

If you take it off and clean it out periodically you should be fine.

6. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

How long have you used that combo? Did you just get the back invisible shield? How many does it come with? any back ups?

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You should always use screen protectors for the front and back as well as the steel band. I purchased all three for $25. I got three sets of each for that price so it wasn't a bad deal at all.

8. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

How long have you used it? Which color do you use?

9. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Where did you get yours? Verizon compatible?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I totally disagree.

Either get some sort of case or go naked, but screen protectors are the 'worst of both worlds' middle ground. They won't protect your phone from a fall and yet they make your phone worse to use. Pointless.

11. snowman1 macrumors regular

Hello,
    I've used the bumper for over 3 months and I have NOT experienced any scratches on the steel band. According to others with the problem, the scratches are caused by dust/dirt getting between the bumper and the steel band and then scratching the band. The bumper ITSELF is not responsible for scratches. So try to keep your phone out of dirty places...keep your pockets clean, etc.

And bumper + invisibleshield is a great combo by the way. I use it myself. :)

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

13. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I would never go without a screen protector. Change and keys scratched up a phone once before and I'm not going to let it happen again.

14. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

Just a week lol, but the zaggs only come with one of each, front and back. There is some for the side's if your att. But they are not cheap.

15. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Does anyone know if Verizon is selling the apple bumper? I don't have an apple store around me - otherwise I have to order online.

16. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I use a screen protector on the back because I set the phone down on its back. I also have a case for when I'm biking or working. Always rocking it naked at home.

They do not.

17. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

No, AT&T doesn't even sell them. You can only buy them from the Apple Store. Make sure the serial number ends with B so it's compatible with the Verizon iPhone.

18. bvapple macrumors newbie

the bumper sucks, it makes the phone look and feel all bulky, just get a thin case to cover the back and invisasheild for the front.

19. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've had the iPhone 4 on AT&T since launch, and I used the bumper the majority of the time, but I've also periodically switched between that and the Incase Smoke Snap case.

I tried using the InvisibleShield front/back with the Bumper at the same time, but it only worked for me for a while until the edge of the back shield began to lift up because of the case. I decided just to remove them, and I enjoy the feel and clarity of the device much more. I have noticed some "scratches" (or I suppose they look more like specks) on the metal band, and they probably are from the bumper, or maybe the snap case, or both. It doesn't bother me though.

Apart from that, the screen has a tiny scratch that is probably the width of my finger. But it's only noticeable angled to the light and doesn't bother me at all either. These are minor cosmetic things that are only noticeable under certain circumstances, but I feel that the clarity of the screen and the feeling of the high-quality materials in the almost-naked phone make up for it.

20. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

My buddy and I went case shopping today and he bought a case that's basically a bumper with a clear plastic back on it. Bought it at Best Buy and I think he paid $25 for it. If you like the idea of the bumper with a little more protection then it's not a bad deal. Cheaper than the bumper alone that's for sure!

21. TimShady macrumors member

I think you're talking about the Griffin Reveal. It has a black rubber bumper with a clear back, pretty nice. I heard the clear back gets scratched up easily though. You can find it on Amazon for like $13.

22. nies macrumors 6502

Dont get a zagg, order power support crystal films for the front and back, and I love my bumper, not a problem, minimal bulk added and some side drop protection

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

Bumpers dont scratch the steel band... dirty pockets do.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

Only the apple bumper has sufficient grip to hold the phone in place on inclines. I have tried many other bumpers (and cases).

I use my phone at the gym and put on on the bike display which has a slight incline. The phone with the apple bumper stays put while others move.

because of this I will only use the Apple Bumper.

25. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

That might be it, but he had Ghost Armor installed on both the front and back of his phone so scratching is a non-issue now.