Apple Button Menu Wont Work

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Hey guys,

For some reason items like Log Off and ShutDown/Restart wont work anymore, the only way i can logoff is to kill the loginwindow process and the only way to restart is but sudo shutdown -r NOW.

Does anyone know how to fix this besides archive install

islandmonusvi

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
U.S. Virgin Islands
Apple Menu Items broke for All Users

My friends iMac is refusing to shut down, restart or log-out or Force Quit! I tell it to shut down from the Apple Menu, nothing happens.
As an experienced User , I've tried everything ... nothing works but Terminal
" sudo shutdown -r now "
Apple Menu uses Carbon AppleEvents ( ie, AeKRestart )... is there a preference link somewhere in "Library/" ?
This is maddening ... it began in Panther and continues into Tiger 10.4.8 !
I've tried all the System Preference settings ...

thnx for help on this ...

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
My friends iMac is refusing to shut down, restart or log-out or Force Quit! I tell it to shut down from the Apple Menu, nothing happens.
As an experienced User , I've tried everything ... nothing works but Terminal
" sudo shutdown -r now "
Apple Menu uses Carbon AppleEvents ( ie, AeKRestart )... is there a preference link somewhere in "Library/" ?
This is maddening ... it began in Panther and continues into Tiger 10.4.8 !
I've tried all the System Preference settings ...

thnx for help on this ...
Try removing ~/Library/Preferences to the Desktop and restart. See if that fixes it. If it does then replace only the preferences you need like com.apple.dock.plist, or com.apple.mail.plist.

islandmonusvi

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
U.S. Virgin Islands
Try removing ~/Library/Preferences to the Desktop and restart. See if that fixes it. If it does then replace only the preferences you need like com.apple.dock.plist, or com.apple.mail.plist.
This problem is so vexing because it is a ROOT issue not linked to any USER preference setting !
Something very deep is blocking the AppleEvent calls for these basic AppleMenuItem Scripts.
I've never encountered this type of problem : (

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
This problem is so vexing because it is a ROOT issue not linked to any USER preference setting !
Something very deep is blocking the AppleEvent calls for these basic AppleMenuItem Scripts.
I've never encountered this type of problem : (
Sorry, I missed your second update post, I can't think of another way around doing an Archive and Install Preserving.