Apple Buying Out iMac Customers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IndustrialSpace, Feb 4, 2010.

1. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

http://gizmodo.com/5463415/the-faulty-imac-saga-chapter-4-apple-buying-out-customers

Return your faulty iMac and get $300

2. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I can vouch for this. I'm on my 4th replacement and Apple gave me an offer - wait a month to get yet another, or take the retail value + 15%. I'm taking the money, and will order one once this gets under control. I'm in the US btw.

3. mistraldk macrumors member

4. tigereat macrumors regular

How did you get it , just call them ?

5. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I didn't have to negotiate - they just offered it to me. They said they were offering it to customers because the wait times to get another machine had been extended. I got offered this last Tuesday, took a few days to think about it, and decided I'd rather take the money.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like a mess. I'm just glad to a have perfect 27" iMac.

7. tigereat macrumors regular

I just called them and they didn't offer me this but asked me to wait til Apple provides the solid fix, which is replacing its panel, in few weeks.

What should I do?

8. marco12345 macrumors member

Take the money lo0ol.

I will try this tonight, I will also call Apple Relation and try to negociate because I bought from a third party store.

I would love 300$ for my troubles, I am know on my 5th Imac in about 2 weeks time.

To wait till they fix everything would be a wise choice, then buy one!

That's what I am hopping for anyways.

9. unamused macrumors 6502

I knew i should have just bought one from the get go!! id be all over this deal... buy a broken imac... return it several times since they cant fix it, then finally take their offer for you to return it... then wait till the fixed imacs come out and BAM you just saved 300 on a brand new imac!

10. archipellago macrumors 65816

I'm confused....

Apple have no panels..

they pay people the extra 15% to return their faulty macs so they can repair other macs awaiting repair..

but...

if the panel on the returned mac is yellow (likely, why else would it be returned) then they take a faulty yellow panel from one machine and put it in another...

????

someone explain this for me please...

11. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Do the math. They're not fixing it. They're just selling it again.

12. archipellago macrumors 65816

so to qualify for the refund + 15% your machine needs to be defect free?

sorry I'm still confused, I don't see where this makes sense.

edit.

ahh...I think I get it. To avoid adding to the backlog of machines awaiting repair, Apple are offering the extra 15%..?

strange how anyone in the UK (with our laws) would accept a repair on a machine <6mths old anyway.

Replace or refund please...

13. msw123307 macrumors 6502

One thing I just found out from the Apple rep. The 15% is apparently for - "tax and shipping." Obviously there was no shipping when I bought it, and return shipping is prepaid via Fedex. So it's still a "good" deal, especially when compared to getting another one of these machines. But for those with 10-11% sales tax, it's not as much of a bonus.

So don't take the retail price + tax + 15%. It's just retail + 15%.

14. MacMojo1 macrumors member

Isn't your time worth anything? I mean I get what everyone is going through and this is an okay fix on Apple part but I cannot get over the frustration most have gone through on multiple occasions for a couple of bucks.

15. rleepremier macrumors member

i was wondering if anyone has gotten this deal with their problematic 21.5?