Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple buys out Alias

• yes!

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no!

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • maybe

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

MacBandit

macrumors 604
This is the most poorly written pole/question I think I've seen on this site. I don't even know what exactly we're voting on.

Will Apple buy out Maya?
Should Apple buy out Maya?
Do you believe the rumors that Apple will buy out Maya?

Please edit and reword this so that everyone, including me has a clue of what you want us to vote on.:)

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
This is a very old rumor. This sprung up around the time Apple was considering buying Shake (which they DID) but eventually Apple did not buy Maya. Apple is poised, however, to really move into the professional 3D market.

They have Maya 4.5 for OSX (soon)
They have Unix coupled with a nice interface
They have Shake (widely used professionally)
They have nice rackmounted UI servers
They have some pretty affordable Workstations with DDR ram and dual systems

They NEED RenderMan, but with S.J. at both Apple and Pixar, I dont doubt it will be ported soon.

Thats what the professional studios are needing/wanting. Apple has money to buy Alias, but I doubt it will be happening any time soon. Who knows though. If Apple aquired Alias, the professionals woulndt have any choice but to switch. Unless Pixar feels like selling Marionette. (spelling?)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
like agreenster said, old rumor - and even then over at cgtalk.com they interviewed the pres. of Alias/Wavefront and he said in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't happen.

I definitely would like to see Pixar and Apple get a little closer, make something in the 3D realm for Apple.

BTW - agreenster, weren't you promising a movie way back there several months ago? What happened?

D

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
DukeStreet/Movie

I know I know---Its just a bout of laziness! The movie is long since done, and Im happy with it. Now Im focusing on my demo reel and getting a different job. Im doing animation now at my current job, and its fun, but Im always looking to move on.

Plus, I got married, went on a honeymoon, and have been adjusting to the switch, so I have little time to play nowadays.

Soon though. Very soon. The demo reel looks better than anything else right now. Ill post a thread when its online.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
make both available and post them in the Mac Project Forum - also PM me incase I miss it.

Thanks,

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't see them going after Lightwave either - Newtek has the Video Toaster - totally pc based hardware/software video editing system that has Lightwave as a plugin (puts it in perspective there). Not that I'm saying it couldn't happen, but its just doubtful.

Electric Image Universe would be more my guess - its been one of the main stays of the Mac 3D realm and is on the wane. But actually, the chances of Apple going for an i3D app or 3DPro isn't all that realistic - its a much more involved and complicated app than iMovie and FCP, much more.

D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I can't imagine that they only want little bits of the movie industry's digital add-ons and would leave others that are so hot. Lightwave and Maya have both been used to create add-ons or whole movies. 3D is just another piece of the professional puzzle.

Still, just providing guidance to make them all better would help too. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yes, but these aren't iApps. Even to get good results with photoshop, you have to know what you're doing - and that's only 2D. And as someone who does 3D everyday - photoshop is just a tool for my 3D - creating texture maps and such.

Its one thing to do video and photos - Poser would be a much better choice, yet that is limited, Bryce is not that great for modelling, and Strata - well, they've been having a tough time. They offer a free base package and you pay for extras, but it lacks a lot of the tools and options that would make it a player in the professional 3D market.

I still say if it happens, EI will be the one bought up - that and FormZ used to be the premiere 3D animation and modelling packages for the Mac for the longest time.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.